1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Salary cap may highly influence Cowboys draft decisions

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Verdict, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

3,454 Messages
    171 Likes Received
    I think a majority of the posters on this board would probably say that DeCastro is probably the best pick at #14. I would include myself in that camp.

After giving it much thought, I think it is very possible that the Cowboys may pass on DeCastro even if he is there at #14. The Cowboys have two premium positions which will require a pretty big payday in free agency next year to keep the players they have, or to acquire a satisfactory replacement.

The Cowboys will have to resign Spencer and Jenkins, or their replacements next year, unless their replacements are drafted, as I do not think their replacements are currently on the roster. Both cornerback, and outside linebacker will require a substantial cap hit to either resign the existing players or their replacement in free agency.

The "smoke signals" that I am seeing seem to indicate that the Cowboys are looking heavily at replacing Spencer next year. Indications are that the Cowboys may be looking at Ingram in the 1st round, or Ronnell Lewis in the 2nd to replace Spencer.

If the smoke signals are accurate and not a misdirection, if we draft DeCastro in the 1st round, and Lewis in the 2nd, then Jenkins has significant leverage over the Cowboys next year.

We NEED a replacement for Spencer, a corner to replace Jenkins and a center. If we draft DeCastro, one of these positions is probably going to remain a hole.

I think we have to draft a center this year. Whether it is Konz or Blake, I don't see us failing to draft a center this year. That sure puts a lot of pressure on the BPA theory.

With that being said, I still think that passing on DeCastro is a long term mistake, unless Ingram turns out to be the next DeMarcus Ware.
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,676 Messages
    1,493 Likes Received
    OTOH what are the two O Lineman they signed going to cost in guaranteed money versus for example DeCastro rookie contract? Likely Spencer and Jenkins are gone after this year but i dont see their cant miss replacements sitting at 14.
  3. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    There's likely only 1 cb gone and maybe 1 olb gone. You should be able to find someone.
  4. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,933 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    I agree with the end result but not the justification. It's just too early for a OG, especially with the FA moves we made.
  5. Afigueroa22

Afigueroa22 Well-Known Member

1,014 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    There is no such thing as too early for a guy who can more likely than not be an anchor on your line for the next ten years.
  6. ABQcowboyJR

2,933 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    Difference of opinions. I like DeCastro and what he brings to the table, I'd rather have Glenn though. Now inflate the price even more to a #14 overall....I'll pass.
  7. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,586 Messages
    2,243 Likes Received
    I don't think you draft his year based on losing Spencer or Jenkins.

You have plenty of picks between now and then, I'm sure you could find a player somewhere.

Hell, the team could catch a slider in the 2nd at OLB, release Spencer and sign Jenkins with a cap equal to Spencers this year and have a smaller number next year and all 3 positions are good.

There's plenty of flexibility to do a lot of things.
  8. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,207 Messages
    2,802 Likes Received
    Stephen Jones said the team specifically did what they did in free agency in part so that they could take the BPA in the draft. They wouldn't have to target a corner or a guard.

I don't think they're going to target a pass rusher or corner because of who might leave after this season or the money they'll cost.
  9. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    I agree and I think it is likely that the tag will get removed from Spencer and a more reasonable deal for 4 years will end up getting done. As for Guards we are not paying elite money to the 2 FA that were brought in
  10. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,860 Messages
    1,705 Likes Received

Decastro is quicker. Better able to reach the second level and make the block on a small LB. Outside of being bigger what justification for taking a lesser guard?
  11. burmafrd

41,860 Messages
    1,705 Likes Received
    Salary cap has nothing to do with picking players any more. No matter who we pick we can sign everyone for less than $2.5 million according to Adam.

Cap hits will not rise for at least 2 years. When there will be a bigger cap. So there is no reason to pass up on anyone as regards drafting. And to pass on excellent players while worrying about future salary cap problems is a sure way to keep finishing at the bottom of the division.
  12. ABQcowboyJR

2,933 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    I don't see him as slower on tape. I think he will fair better against big tackles at the next level. Don't get what i'm saying here twisted, I like both of these guards and think they will make fine pro's. I would rather have Glenn and neither @ 14.
  13. burmafrd

41,860 Messages
    1,705 Likes Received

Of course he is not as quick. Two excellent athletes; one is 30-40 lbs heavier and taller. Who is going to be quicker? Its not about speed; like 40 times are important with guards. Look up the 3 cone drill time; short shuttle time. DeCastro is clearly superior. In addition to being a much better technician
  14. mmillman

mmillman Well-Known Member

2,153 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    that salary cap restriction will be greatly reduced or thrown out. in fact they could possibly be awarded an additional 5M next year or a draft pick.

No way that stands up to legal scrutiny.
  15. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,147 Messages
    1,857 Likes Received

:signmast:

This.
  16. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,690 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    are you saying jerry jones is cheap and won't spend money? i think a lot of people are forgetting who we are talking about. i know he's stated he isn't a big fan of taking an OL position in the 1st but I don't think money is the issue, ever.
  17. cowboysooner

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    If you are planning on keeping Spencer for the long term, then you would have been far better off getting it done last fall. He has leverage now of a $8.8m salary for 2012. I do think it is possible that he is traded on the 2nd day of the draft for a pick if the Cowboys take Ingram in the 1st.

You just paid "full retail" of $10mm x 5 for a corner and you have 1 more year with a guy with a bad shoulder. You better be thinking about something behind him because he is both an injury risk and a contract risk. When you add in that the draft has several good 1st, 2nd & 3rd round corners their is likely to be a time when the value and the need meet and you take a corner.
  18. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    I think taking a Guard at 14 is unlikely as well. If this mock is accurate, 3 QBs taken in the top 10 will push some quality players down to us. I don't see us taking a Guard but if we do, then we do.
  19. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,586 Messages
    2,243 Likes Received
    No doubt about it.

I just don't think 1st round is that time.

I'm weary of 2nd round right now.

To be honest, I was all for Shea McClellan in the 3rd round but he won't be there in the 3rd round.

If he fell to Dallas' 2nd, I would be tempted but not sure yet.

I think Dallas is in a good position to take the best player at #14 and they can move up a few spots if they really feel like there is a guy available who shouldn't be there.

I don't think future contract uncertainties should dictate a draft. Jenkins can play well and if he does, he'll probably get a contract. I don't see Spencer back at all unless it's for a low contract. No point in letting him have a 2nd contract year only to pay out the rear the following season.

That said, there's plenty of time, players and picks between now and when Jenkins and Spencer would be out the door.

As for Jenkins' shoulder, legit concern. I would look for a CB in the 2nd or 3rd depending on how things fall. Definitely not 1st round.
  20. cowboysooner

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    I think there is concern with Jenkins playing THIS year with a rebuilt shoulder and only a $1mm salary.

I don't think future contract concerns are driving this draft, but I think positional value will. Defensive linemen, corners, passrushers are going to be more in demand than centers, guards and strong safeties when picking at 14.