1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Sarah Palin and The Alaska Independence Party

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Bonecrusher#31, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Bonecrusher#31

Bonecrusher#31 Active Member

1,814 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    The Palins' un-American activities

By David Talbot

Oct. 7, 2008 | "My government is my worst enemy. I'm going to fight them with any means at hand."

This was former revolutionary terrorist Bill Ayers back in his old Weather Underground days, right? Imagine what Sarah Palin is going to do with this incendiary quote as she tears into Barack Obama this week.

Only one problem. The quote is from Joe Vogler, the raging anti-American who founded the Alaska Independence Party. Inconveniently for Palin, that's the very same secessionist party that her husband, Todd, belonged to for seven years and that she sent a shout-out to as Alaska governor earlier this year. ("Keep up the good work," Palin told AIP members. "And God bless you.")

AIP chairwoman Lynette Clark told me recently that Sarah Palin is her kind of gal. "She's Alaskan to the bone ... she sounds just like Joe Vogler."

So who are these America-haters that the Palins are pallin' around with?

Before his strange murder in 1993, party founder Vogler preached armed insurrection against the United States of America. Vogler, who always carried a Magnum with him, was fond of saying, "When the [federal] bureaucrats come after me, I suggest they wear red coats. They make better targets. In the federal government are the biggest liars in the United States, and I hate them with a passion. They think they own [Alaska]. There comes a time when people will choose to die with honor rather than live with dishonor. That time may be coming here. Our goal is ultimate independence by peaceful means under a minimal government fully responsive to the people. I hope we don't have to take human life, but if they go on tramping on our property rights, look out, we're ready to die."

This quote is from "Coming Into the Country," by John McPhee, who traipsed around Alaska's remote gold mining country with Vogler for his 1991 book. The violent-tempered secessionist vowed to McPhee that if any federal official tried to stop him from polluting Alaska's rivers with his earth-moving equipment, he would "run over him with a Cat and turn mosquitoes loose on him while he dies."

Vogler wasn't just a blowhard either. He put his secessionist ideas into action, working to build AIP membership to 20,000 -- an impressive figure by Alaska standards -- and to elect party member Walter Hickel as governor in 1990.

Vogler's greatest moment of glory was to be his 1993 appearance before the United Nations to denounce United States "tyranny" before the entire world and to demand Alaska's freedom. The Alaska secessionist had persuaded the government of Iran to sponsor his anti-American harangue.

That's right ... Iran. The Islamic dictatorship. The taker of American hostages. The rogue nation that McCain and Palin have excoriated Obama for suggesting we diplomatically engage. That Iran.

AIP leaders allege that Vogler, who was murdered that year by a fellow secessionist, was taken out by powerful forces in the U.S. before he could reach his U.N. platform. "The United States government would have been deeply embarrassed," by Vogler's U.N. speech, darkly suggests Clark. "And we can't have that, can we?"

The Republican ticket is working hard this week to make Barack Obama's tenuous connection to graying, '60s revolutionary Bill Ayers a major campaign issue. But the Palins' connection to anti-American extremism is much more central to their political biographies.

Imagine the uproar if Michelle Obama was revealed to have joined a black nationalist party whose founder preached armed secession from the United States and who enlisted the government of Iran in his cause? The Obama campaign would probably not have survived such an explosive revelation. Particularly if Barack Obama himself was videotaped giving the anti-American secessionists his wholehearted support just months ago.

Where's the outrage, Sarah Palin has been asking this week, in her attacks on Obama's fuzzy ties to Ayers? The question is more appropriate when applied to her own disturbing associations.

David Talbot is the founder of Salon. He is the author of the New York Times Bestseller, "Brothers: The Hidden History of the Kennedy Years," which will be released next week in paperback by Free Press.
  2. Bonecrusher#31

Bonecrusher#31 Active Member

1,814 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    AIP Official On Tape Saying Sarah Palin Was A Member

Vice Chairman of the AIP (Alaskan Independence Party) Dexter Clark is seen on video at a 2007 Convention mentioning Sarah Palin as a member.

"the Governor" was a member "before she ran for the Mayor" of Wasilla...and he goes on to mention that she is still "sympathetic" to the AIP.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Palin Connected to Anti-American Fringe Group

More on Palin's Ties to The Secessionist AIP or Alaska Independence Party (also known as the AKIP).

The Alaska Independence Party is a fringe Party that is interested in seeing Alaska secede from the Union, to become an independent Country.

Quotes from AIP Founder Joe Vogler, courtesy of TPM:

The founder of the Alaska Independence Party -- a group that has been courted over the years by Sarah Palin, and one her husband was a member of for roughly seven years -- once professed his "hatred for the American government" and cursed the American flag as a "damn flag."

The AIP founder, Joe Vogler, made the comments in 1991, in an interview that's now housed at the Oral History Program in the Rasmuson Library at the University of Alaska, Fairbanks.

"The fires of hell are frozen glaciers compared to my hatred for the American government," Vogler said in the interview, in which he talked extensively about his desire for Alaskan secession, the key goal of the AIP.

"And I won't be buried under their damn flag," Vogler continued in the interview, which also touched on his disappointment with the American judicial system. "I'll be buried in Dawson. And when Alaska is an independent nation they can bring my bones home."

Sources investigating this story have not been able to find documents that would confirm Palin's actual membership in the organization. However, Palin has been associated with the group for 15 years and has taken part in a number of AIP events. While confirmation of her membership has not been found, it has been confirmed that her husband, Todd Palin, was in fact a member of the AIP for several years....as recently as 2002. It's interesting that Todd Palin cleaned up his membership in the group only when his wife decided to run for State-wide office.

The McCain camp has been scrambling to try to put water on this fire by attempting to downplay Palin's connections to the group. But the connections with the AIP cannot be denied by McCain, despite earlier attempts to make the story go away.

According to the LA Times:

The Alaskan Independence Party, founded in 1978, initially promoted "the Alaskan independence movement." But now, according to its website, "its primary goal is merely a vote on secession."

The McCain camp is currently involved in an effort to clean up Palin's past. Videos showing AIP meetings where Palin was mentioned are now being removed from Youtube. Don't you just love Democracy?

Another quote from Vogler from the AIP website (a quote that has now been removed) states:

“I’m an Alaskan, not an American. I’ve got no use for America or her damned institutions.”

Why isn't Palin being challenged about her Patriotism at every turn? Why isn't she being hounded by the media about why she hates America?

This is what happens when someone isn't properly vetted for such an important position. We now know that Palin was not vetted at all by McCain's people.
  3. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,043 Messages
    1,919 Likes Received
    This story has no legs. Once again, this is the Democratic Party trying to shade Palin.

I would add that one simple search on Google confirms this. Rediculous to post this knowing that it's simply untrue. No matter, I suspect that you will see Palin again in 2008.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/09/members-of-frin.html

Members of 'Fringe' Alaskan Independence Party Incorrectly Say Palin Was a Member in 90s; McCain Camp and Alaska Division of Elections Deny Charge*
    September 01, 2008 6:52 PM

The campaign of Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., likes to herald the independence of its new running mate, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin.

Officials of the Alaskan Independence Party say that Palin was once so independent, she and her husband were once member of their party, which, since the 1970s, has been pushing for a legal vote for Alaskans to decide whether or not residents of the 49th state can secede from the United State.

And while McCain's motto -- as seen in a new TV ad -- is "Country First," the AIP's motto is the exact opposite -- "Alaska First -- Alaska Always."

After refraining from commenting on the charge for a day, the McCain campaign on Tuesday asserted that Palin was never a member of the AIP, and

Lynette Clark, the chairman of the AIP, told ABC News on Monday that Palin and her husband Todd were members in 1994, even attending the 1994 statewide convention in Wasilla. Clark was AIP secretary at the time.

This, it should be noted, does not square with official records.

Gail Fenumiai, director of the Alaska Division of Elections, tells ABC News that regardless of the impression given to members of the Alaskan Independence Party, "Gov. Sarah Palin first registered to vote in the state in May 1982 as a Republican, and she has not changed her party affiliate with the Division of Elections since that time."

Clark on Tuesday night said that she had been mistaken.

But for whatever reason, Clark thought that in 1994 Palin was a kindred spirit.

"We are a state's rights party," says Clark, a self-employed goldminer. The AIP has "a plank that challenges the legality of the Alaskan statehood vote as illegal and in violation of United Nations charter and international law."

She says it's not accurate to describe the party as secessionist -- they just want a vote, she says, adding that the members of the AIP hold different opinions on what Alaska should be.

"My own separate opinion as an individual is that we should be an independent nation," Clark says. Others in the AIP "believe that being a commonwealth would be a good avenue to follow." Some advocate statehood -- but a fuller statehood than exists now.

She doesn't know what Palin's position was.

"It never came up in conversation," Clark recalls. "But ...our platform was right under her nose."

Earlier this year, Palin sent a video message to the AIP for its annual convention, where AIP vice chair George Clark told the small crowd that Palin "was an AIP member before she got the job as a mayor of a small town –- that was a non-partisan job. But you get along to go along -– she eventually joined the Republican Party, where she had all kinds of problems with their ethics, and well, I won’t go into that. She also had about an 80 percent approval rating, and is pretty well sympathetic to her former membership."

A day after ABC News requested a response from Palin as to whether she was ever a member of the AIP, McCain campain spox Brian Rogers told ABC News that Clark's "allegations are false."

"Governor Palin has been a registered Republican since 1982," Rogers says, providing voter registration documentation showing her to be a Republican. "As you know, if she changed her registration, there would have been some record of it. There isn’t."

Rogers says that Palin didn’t attend the AIP convention in 1994, "but she visited them when they had their convention in Wasilla in 2000 as a courtesy since she was mayor."

When asked if Palin ever identified herself as a member of the AIP, Rogers said, "No, she's a lifelong Republican."

The AIP platform states that the purpose of the party is to "seek the complete repatriation of the public lands, held by the federal government, to the state and people of Alaska in conformance with Article 1, Section 8, Clause 17, of the federal constitution ... To prohibit all bureaucratic regulations and judicial rulings purporting to have the effect of law, except that which shall be approved by the elected legislature ... To support the privatization of government services ...”

Walter Hickel, a former Republican governor, was elected to the governorship in 1990 as an AIP member -- the third-largest party in Alaska -- with a plurality vote of 38.8%. A Seattle Post-Intelligencer story that year said that "Hickel is running with the Alaska Independence Party, a fringe group advocating that the 49th state declare itself a sovereign nation. But he's not a separatist; he's an opportunist: the Independence Party was the only 11th-hour ticket to the general election."

Hickel returned to the Republican Party in 1994; he endorsed Palin in her gubernatorial run in 2006. Subsequent AIP gubernatorial candidates did not fare as well as did Hickel, garnering less than 2 percent of the vote.

Lynette Clark says that Palin is "a fine individual. She's forthright and she puts Alaska first."

She is not a fan of McCain.

"I can't understand why in God's name she has aligned herself with a candidate who opposes the development of our republic and Alaska's resource wealth," Clark says.

- jpt

* This post has been updated one day later, after the McCain campaign responded, and again after
    Fenumiai returned several calls for comment. And then, once again, after Clark rescinded her assertion that Gov. Palin had been a member of the AIP.

4. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Next we'll see an "explosive" report "blowing the lid off" the "true" identity of Trig's mother - that Sarah faked a pregnancy to hide the fact that her daughter actually gave birth. Round and round we go, where we stop nobody knows.
  5. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

61,083 Messages
    4,428 Likes Received
    I know...guilt by association only seems to work if it is concerning the person you don't want elected and never works if it is your favorite getting targeted.

It is quite interesting how it works.
  6. canters

canters Active Member

1,792 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    Another pathetic attempt to equate some alleged affiliation Palin may have had with Ayers, Wright and Barrys far left friends....pathetic.

She must really get under the libs skin, 'cause they try to draw parralels, to the point of being absurd.
  7. ZB9

ZB9 Active Member

1,024 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    were those people in the AIP firebombing American judges' houses as well as bombing the Pentagon, police stations, etc.etc.etc.? No they werent. Ayers' organization was

any rational person should be able to see the difference.
  8. BrAinPaiNt

61,083 Messages
    4,428 Likes Received
    But Iran is funding terrorists and are very bad guys and they help fund this group that palin and her husband has some association with.

Any rational person should be able to see the difference.

:laugh2:
  9. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,043 Messages
    1,919 Likes Received
    ABC basically retracts the story but it's much easier to just continue to go along with it because that's much more entertaining I suppose.

Carry on...........
  10. ZB9

ZB9 Active Member

1,024 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    lmao yea right. Do you know anything about Talbot, the writer of this BS? If so, you would recognize the spin.
  11. BrAinPaiNt

61,083 Messages
    4,428 Likes Received
    Some of you honestly need to take the wild hair out your backside and realize when someone is joking with you and not take yourselves so serious.

But if you want, keep on pimping those stories out that have proven time and time again that they are not working. But I will still have my fun laughing at both sides for doing these types of tactics.

Have a nice day Commissar.
  12. ZB9

ZB9 Active Member

1,024 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    btw, there is no evidence that they were even members of AIG, but there is evidence they werent members. The only thing linking them is the mayor of Wasilla speaking via video to them because they chose her town for their convention. THAT is the link.

non important detail to your agenda i know lol
  13. BrAinPaiNt

61,083 Messages
    4,428 Likes Received
    :laugh2: :laugh2: man alive you are still wired up. :laugh2: :laugh2:
  14. ZB9

ZB9 Active Member

1,024 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    haaa, but still full of crapola man
  15. BrAinPaiNt

61,083 Messages
    4,428 Likes Received
    You better get your rubber undies on, you keep this amped up you might electrocute your short and curlies.
  16. poke

poke the older I get the better I was

2,574 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    in my efforts to figure out whats true, whats not, i waded thru a ton of
    muck and the best i can come up with is from the site of the AIP.
    http://www.akip.org/

after all the lies and stories, i would say Sarah Palin was never a member
    of the AIP.

Welcome to the home of
    The Alaskan Independence Party

UPDATE September 3, 2008 Noon ADT

It has been brought to our attention that there is a COUNTERFEIT SITE now up on the net. This site is a FRAUD and has infringed our copyright. We are presently seeking legal recourse.​
    Contrary to initial reports, Vice-President candidate Governor Sarah Palin was never a member of our party. We stand corrected. We issued a press release today. It is posted here to those members of the media who did not recieve it. ​
    Todd Palin was registered as a member but never participated in any party activities aside from attending a convention in Wasilla at one time.​
    We had several hundred people attend that convention and nothing of noteworthy status took place outside of nominating the most conservative candidate up to that date to ever run for Governor of Alaska. That candidate was the sitting Lt. Governor, Jack Coghill. This man was one of the authors and signers of the Constitution of the State of Alaska.​
  17. ZB9

ZB9 Active Member

1,024 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    my hyperbole meter isnt working very well lol...but this crap isnt funny to me. Detroit wanting D. Ware for the good Roy Williams, now THAT is funny
  18. BrAinPaiNt

61,083 Messages
    4,428 Likes Received