1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Say these 13 guys are gone...

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by ejthedj, Apr 3, 2012.

1. baj1dallas

baj1dallas New Member

6,556 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Poe or Upshaw.
  2. cbow44

cbow44 Member

596 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Cox or Kirkpatick
  3. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,342 Messages
    239 Likes Received
    Cox or Gilmore or maybe Mercilus.
  4. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,342 Messages
    239 Likes Received
    Two I DEFINITELY wouldn't pick at #14. :laugh2:

One a physical freak, but with no real talent, the other talented, but stiff as a board. :lmao2:
  5. Leadbelly

Leadbelly Well-Known Member

816 Messages
    321 Likes Received
    Honestly, I think Cordy Glenn would bring the biggest impact on both the offense and defense. Trade down a little if possible and pick him up, but if we can't I'd still take him at 14.

We're automatically better in short yardage. Better in goal-to-go situations. More TDs instead of FGs. Own the clock. Wear down the opponent while keeping our D fresh. Make the opponent one-dimensional because they're down 17-3 instead of 9-3.

He'd also basically be our swing tackle in case of emergency.
  6. fanfromvirginia

fanfromvirginia Inconceivable!

4,014 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    Assuming trade downs are not possible: Poe, Cox, Gilmore, Glenn, Konz.
  7. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,885 Messages
    249 Likes Received
    Gilmore or Cox.

I'd love to see a combo of one of these two guys and McClellin at #45, but McClellin's stock appears to be shooting through the roof. =/
  8. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,885 Messages
    249 Likes Received
    Actually, I think Cox or Poe goes #9.
  9. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,586 Messages
    2,243 Likes Received
    Lots of love for Cox in this thread.
  10. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,766 Messages
    709 Likes Received
    The original post asked "who would you take?" Saying trade down is too easy. It's almost like a cop out. I have a feeling that this year is going to be like 2009, where everyone was looking to trade down, because the top end talent isn't that deep. We could see one team after another taking up the whole time, just waiting for the phone to ring from a team looking to trade up. So, if you're going to just say "trade down", then give the scenario. Who are you going to trade with? Who is that team trading up for? And then, who do we take in spot into which we've traded?

Personally, if we stay at 14 (for whatever reason), I think it would be a tough call between Barron, Kirkpatrick, and Cox. I'd go with Barron. I know we need DL and CB help still, but the draft is deeper for those two positions than S, and I like Barron's ability and leadership. If the Cowboys see some Darren Woodson in him, I think it would be hard for them to pass him up.
  11. Vanilla2

Vanilla2 Well-Known Member

1,620 Messages
    744 Likes Received
    At 14 Barron is the pick IMO. In a perfect world they'd be able to trade back and still be able to pick him, but at this point I really have no idea of who would trade up to draft who.
  12. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,297 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I trade down............target pass rush then CB in that order.
  13. btcutter

btcutter Well-Known Member

2,804 Messages
    248 Likes Received
    S is very thin in this draft and DL seems to be one of the deepest positions in the draft so Dallas may feel that Barron is the cream of the crop and there's no one else at S that can help them. So they'll take Barron at 14 and use 45 pick to shore up DL or OL.
  14. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,297 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I don't believe in drafting purely for need.

I believe in drafting value at need.

I don't like using 1's on S's and if I did it would be a cover FS with quasi CB athleticism.

The other thing is it is a mistake just to look at value in terms of the current draft. What is the value of that player/position vs similar players who have gone in past drafts. That way you aren't just grading Alex Smith vs Aaron Rodgers. You are grading Alex Smith at #1 vs Aikman, Payton, etc, etc. Just because you need a QB Smith was an awful QB based on value.

I think Barron isn't the best value vs other S's who have gone in similar area and I also think you are drafting best player at a very weak postion. Overall you end up building a better team when you draft a player ranked high in a very strong position.

My concern is we have settled for tier 3-4 OL guys in FA, and are targeting tier 2 defensive guys in draft. Instead of targeting tier 1 guys at position of strength on interior OL. Magic formula to come away with tier 3-4 OL additons, tier 2 safety and tier who knows what passrusher cuz none of these guys look that strong as passrushers at OLB or 3-4 DE.

Honestly looks to me like we went for short-term solutions vs long term vision. Trying to plug holes to fix it all in one year.
  15. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,860 Messages
    1,705 Likes Received

No way is he worth that high a pick. Maybe 20.
  16. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,860 Messages
    1,705 Likes Received

frankly that is the way it looks to me as well. Like last year when we passed on Brian Waters I had a feeling that this would happen this year. Instead of going after really quality guys they settle for OK. If that.
  17. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,892 Messages
    2,362 Likes Received
    in that case, take Glenn
    might be best OG in draft
    can play OT in a pinch

better than taking a second tier player that high or a safety
  18. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    Trade down and try and get more picks, and select Barron in the trade down.

Even if Barron doesn't pan out, I would like the team to at least attempt to address the safety position, something we haven't really done in Darren Woodson's Retirement wake.
  19. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,098 Messages
    675 Likes Received
    No way I take Cox. We can have Rat, Spears, Hatcher and Lissemore rotating at DE. That's more than enough. Give me Poe to clog up the middle and finally get Rat to DE where he belongs. Poe presents a much bigger upgrade to our front 7.
  20. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,978 Messages
    1,534 Likes Received
    That would be an unlucky 13 for the Cowboys!

In that scenario (assuming a trade-down is not happening), I may take Jonathan Martin to play RT and move Free to one of the G positions. Martin has a nasty streak in him (like DeCastro) and would fill out the line nicely.

My preference is to take a guy that can rush the passer and if I did that, I think I would get most excited to see Mercilus on the team, I really hope that Coples in reality falls to us and I think that is somewhat possible, but if not, then
    1. Martin
    2. Mercilus

Btw, if Martin is there, I think that teams will beat themselves up to get that pick before the Eagles.