1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Scandricks contract and Mike Jenkins

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by OklahomaCowboy88, Sep 29, 2012.

1. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,599 Messages
    360 Likes Received
    He is smaller than Carr and claiborne,he isn't coming back and isn't worth the money to be a #4 CB on this team.he can't play the slot so what his purpose next year. Ryan likes bigger more physical cbs, so yes he is small for ryan. He might be average but he is small for what Ryan likes his DBs to be. You must have some man crush to think he is better than Carr. He is gone after this year so get used to it.
    When is he physical, he wiffs on tackles all the time. Here comes the rb,just get out of the way. You want to franchise him at 10 million? That's the only way, he wants to start and will be walking to go play in a Tampa 2 zone scheme where he belongs.
  2. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

Im sorry.. its just so funny that after all the years he's played here you have no idea what kind of corner Mike Jenkins is.

First of all, he's an inch shorter and ten pounds lighter than Carr. That's not small at all. No one has said he's better than Carr.. but he's pretty close to his level. Maybe a notch below, which is still better than the majority of corners in the NFL. He doesn't whiff on tackles all the time, he is physical and can definitely play a press coverage on his man. No one said anything about franchising him at 10 million, that is something you made up in your head.

Hmm.. am i missing anything or are you done rambling now?
  3. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,501 Likes Received
    mike jenkins story is far from written yet.

how this year plays out will say a lot.

we do hold his rights and can tag him in a couple different ways.

mo claiborne costs us next to nothing so his salary isn't a concern at all. he'll likely get his big money deal right when carr's is ending.

the cowboys could conceivably franchise jenkins as they did spencer to buy a year of a starting CB's prime. they have set the precedent with spencer.

10m is a lot on the cap but nothing like 25m cash handed out in a signing bonus where you are pretty much then stuck with a player's base salaries for at least 3 years.

all that said i expect dallas to let jenkins go home to florida after the season. they'll just take the 4th rounder in compensation and move on.
  4. supercowboy8

5,599 Messages
    360 Likes Received
    Do you remember how bad he was last year, he had one good year, I don't understand it but I don't care, he isnt starting here for a reason. We signed Carr and traded up for claiborne for a reason. He will be gone after this year.
  5. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,501 Likes Received
    carr is 2 inches taller and AT LEAST 12 pounds heavier. jenkins is an average-sized CB but one who has injury concerns. when he plays physically he risks injury so he at-times makes business decisions.

but mike jenkins is a good starting cb in this league and he is definitely going to be coveted if he hits FA. when teams are goofy enough to let quality corners walk they tend to regret it, a la KC. Look at that sad defense minus carr.
  6. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Last year? He played very well.. and that with an injured shoulder all year too.
  7. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Why are you even responding to him? Clearly he has no idea what he's talking about.
  8. supercowboy8

5,599 Messages
    360 Likes Received
    10 million is a lot of cash for a #4 cb, that's what he is on this team. We need to use that money to fix other holes
  9. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,501 Likes Received
    jenkins was playing on a shoulder that badly needed surgery and he couldn't lift one arm.

he has been a solid cover CB since he got here and at times is outstanding.

he was easily our best cover guy last year even though very much injured.

i suspect he will be gone but again that deal is far from done. lots of things can happen.
  10. supercowboy8

5,599 Messages
    360 Likes Received
    He played well but no where near great and yes injuries again. 2010 he sucked. I guess he played so great last year which why he isn't even starting now. Why would they sign carr and trade for claiborne if Jenkins was so great
  11. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,501 Likes Received
    no, he isn't. he is a 3rd CB and right now 5th DB. he has outplayed scandrick at every turn.

he has the ability to shut people down on the outside.
    the job he did on vincent jackson was outstanding.

we will restructure tony romo and have cap cash next year but yes 10m is a lot to hand anyone. but again buying years of guys prime can be worth that much. as much as i hated the deal for spencer at 9m the team proved fairly smart thus far. this rookie pass rush class has been awful thus far and every fa pass rusher got paid in full. next year's pass rush class looks much stronger.
  12. Cowboys&LakersFan

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Fourth? Who the hell is the 3rd?

Carr
    Mo
    Jenkins

Please let me know what you're smoking!
  13. supercowboy8

5,599 Messages
    360 Likes Received
    Your right he was, but isn't now and won't be. No way he Is back next year. I hope he plays great this year so he helps us out this year and then he can go elsewhere. No way he gets franchised and takes up half if not more of our available cap space to spend this offseason and keep this OL the way it is.
  14. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    :rolleyes:

Sorry.. 12 lbs heavier.. not 10. As if any of us knows their actual weights in the first place.

Point was he's not that much smaller, and not "small" for CB at all.

I don't think he makes nearly as many "business decisions" as people want to believe. I think he made one or two of them during 2009 or 2010 and since then people want to jump all over how he's "soft" or "lazy" or he "takes plays off", etc, etc.. when none of that is true at all.

He had one bad season in 2010.. other than that, he's been an above average corner and a guy that has been the only guy in our secondary who makes plays on the ball. He was injured almost all of last season and still played hard every down. His down season in 2010.. when our entire defense quit on themselves.. he was one of the only ones i saw giving solid effort throughout that crappy time for our team. He was always right with his guy, just always seemed a step late in making the play to knock the ball away.

Anyway.. the guy is a really good corner, and if we let him go, we will miss him here. Some of you bashing him.. get ready to see more of OS in the next few years and really seeing what a crappy CB looks like. Personally i'd cut Scandrick after the year and use the savings for a percentage of what we give Jenkins to sign him to a new deal. In this league, you pretty much start 3 CB's anyway now. With those three we'd be set for years.
  15. supercowboy8

5,599 Messages
    360 Likes Received
    Well when the nickel comes out and its Carr, clai, and scandrick on the feild, Jenkins is your 4th. Jenkins is better than scandrick on the outside thats for sure but scandrick is still the nickel back.
  16. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Because every other corner we had on the team was awful?

Think before you ask these things, man. We needed to upgrade the secondary, so we got rid of the garbage and brought in some new talent. That's not a knock on Jenkins.. who all the coaches praised for his effort and the job he did last year. Ryan, JG, etc..

If you watched him play.. he had a very good year. Would have been a very good year for a healthy corner, let alone one who was playing with one arm. You just hate him because he made one or two "business decisions" that one year and since then you have a blind hate for him.

(BTW.. those same business decisions are made by almost every cb in the league, almost every game)
  17. Cowboys&LakersFan

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This makes no sense at all. You just admitted than Jenkins is far better than Scandrick you have him as the fourth corner? Ridiculous.
  18. supercowboy8

5,599 Messages
    360 Likes Received
    Doea Jenkins ever play the slot or nickel. You can't cut scandrick right now after the season and save, the cap hit will be bigger than what you will pay him next year. Sorry to tell ya, Jenkins is gone after thia year. Sorry i was wrong for calling him small, but he Isnt going to be in Dallas after this year
  19. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,501 Likes Received
    now you are being obstinate and have given up a logical approach.

jenkins was very injured and the team didnt have him ready to start camp or week 1. he played very hurt which sadly lowered his value because it put off the surgery he should have had late in the season last year. so the team needed to plan for life without him; whether they wanted to or not.

jenkins has had at least 2 plus starting seasons. 2009 was a top 20 season by pretty much all metrics and 2011 he was easily our best player.

over the 2009-2011 period whereas carr ranked about 12th, Jenkins is more modest in the mid 20's but he is still a legit starter and one with youth on his side.
  20. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Oh, you've deduced from the two games he's played this year that he's all of a sudden lost all his ability to play CB and is no longer a solid cover corner?

You may want to tell that to Pro Bowler Vincent Jackson.. although he'd probably just look at you the same way the rest of us are right now.