1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Scandricks contract and Mike Jenkins

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by OklahomaCowboy88, Sep 29, 2012.

1. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    What would the cap hit be if we kept Scandrick, and what would it be if we cut him after the season?
  2. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,538 Messages
    351 Likes Received
    Did you read anything I just wrote. I said Jenkins Is better on the outside. But your nickel back is your #3 CB. Also we cant release scandrick with out a big cap hit and Jenkins isn't going to sign to be a #3 when he can get starter money.
    Overall I think Jenkins is a better cb than scandrick, but Dallas has scandrick out there on the nickel not Jenkins. That makes scandrick our #3.
  3. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    So again, what would Scandrick's cap number be for us if we keep him next year, and what will it be if we cut him after this season?

Also, you can call Scandrick whatever number on the depth chart that you want, but Jenkins plays more because he's better..

..far better.
  4. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,501 Likes Received
    ROFL. I am one of Mike Jenkins' biggest fans.

Jenkins is significantly smaller than Carr. Unless of course he magically grew since the combine. Those heights/weights are official and well documented.

Carr plays a physical game at the line of scrimmage and is a tough tackler. He never seems to pull up gimpy after these hits.
    Mike Jenkins is not. He has stuck his head in there to make tackles before but he comes up banged up a lot in those exchanges. At 5'10" and under 200 pounds he just isn't a really big guy. 12 pounds is actually a fair amount; especially when it is muscle. But the truth is Jenkins probably plays closer to 185. He is a smallish guy with a slight build and would have wanted to add weight for the combine. Carr is a naturally bigger guy.

Those aren't knocks they are just basic facts.

I'd love to keep Jenkins. I'd entertain franchising him if we had to to keep him. I love the defense we have now that we have a handful of quality cover guys and hate to lose 1 for nothing.
  5. supercowboy8

5,538 Messages
    351 Likes Received
    good question. Scandrick cap hit next year will be 3.78 million if on the team, if released he will be a 6.52 million cap hit.

Then you need to also remember we have a 5 million fine we have to pay. I believe as of now we will have almost 20 million is cap space next year, Adam could probably answer this better, then the 5 million fine. Then you will have to most likely franchise Jenkins which will be 10 million for a CB. Jenkins will get offers to be atleast a #2 CB elsewhere which will be more than we will be able to offer him.
    So if you release Scandrick it will be a 2.74 million add on, then 10 million to jenkins which will be 12.74 million of the 15 million available to spend. So where do we look at helping the OL or any other hole. It just can't happen.
  6. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Im not denying that you are a fan of Jenkins.. clearly you are and realize his value to this team.

Im just stating that i don't feel like 10 lbs lighter is a significant difference and i don't feel like Jenkins is "small" for the position at all. Jenkins doesn't have a safety type build.. but he's a pure cover corner. The effort is still there in his tackling though and he made a couple hits last year that were bigger than any other DB on the team, CB or S. Sure he may come up roughed up a bit, but he played through the pain. Gotta give him credit for that.
  7. supercowboy8

5,538 Messages
    351 Likes Received
    yes he is better far better on the outside. But Scandrick job is the nickel, and gets paid like the nickel. He is to man the slot and not the outside. Thats why we spend all the money on Carr and traded up to get Claiborne.No matter how great Jenkins plays he isn't going to sign to stay a #3 rather we cut Scandrick or not, and we won't have the money to franchise Jenkins.
  8. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Not to be picky, but can i get some sort of link for where you are finding these figures?
  9. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    How the hell do you know that? You're not his agent.
  10. supercowboy8

5,538 Messages
    351 Likes Received
    you right, he manned up and play through pain last year. I give him credit and I wish him the best. I hope he plays great for us and makes us miss him next year. I want as many great CBs on this team as possible but with the salary cap and other holes that needs more attention we can't afford to franchise Jenkins.
  11. supercowboy8

5,538 Messages
    351 Likes Received
    why would he? I might not be his agent but its called common sense. Jerry goes, "Jenks we will give you Scandricks money or you can take that 40 million offered with 22 million guaranteed to you by jacksonville and be their starting right side CB or you can just stay here as the #3 and take the 12 million guaranteed, I'm sure your ready to sign with us"

Yeah right
  12. supercowboy8

5,538 Messages
    351 Likes Received
    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/orlando-scandrick/

then go to the nfl and read about how the signing bonus and restructure bonus is prorated so if you release a player the prorated money comes off the cap that year.
  13. Cowboys&LakersFan

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Play on a good team and its not like he wouldn't play. Teams nowadays with it being a passing league are constantly running three wide out sets which obviously means you need to have three solid corner backs. Plus it's Rob's current system at times one of corners will play safety.
  14. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Quick FYI.. for those of you who enjoy vomiting:

Scandrick is counting 7.7 million against the cap this year, which is more than any other player on the roster not named Tony Romo, Demarcus Ware, Anthony Spencer, or Doug Free.

Unreal how we make such mind-numbing mistakes like this.
  15. supercowboy8

5,538 Messages
    351 Likes Received
    ok and when we put three Cbs on the field now its Carr, Clai, and Scandrick. Jenkins is going to want to be a every down CB starter and paid like one. We wont have the money to franchise him. Also he held out this offseason for a new contract. jerry didn't budge one inch. Sorry dude but he is gone after this year.
  16. supercowboy8

5,538 Messages
    351 Likes Received
    where did you see that?

he is a 2.98 million cap hit this year. He got paid 7.7 million this year due to the restructure bonus but that is prorated and doesn't all count towards the cap this year. Only 1.18 of that 5.9 million bonus does.
  17. Cowboys&LakersFan

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Dude, it will be Jenkins on the field. NOT Scandrick. I guarandamntee that. Our best players will be on the field. I'm not saying he'll re-sign for sure, but don't write it off as unrealistic.

:puke:
  18. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012...have-they-learned-from-past-contract-blunders

According the the chart BTB has set up here, it looks like it would only cost about a million more against the cap if we cut him this offseason. If that's the case i would do so without hesitation.
  19. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
  20. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Your continued misrepresentation and outright lying about facts is amusing to me. Its like you really don't want Jenkins on this team for some odd reason.