1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Schefter: Pro Bowl to move to Fantasy Football Format; No more kickoffs

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Ultimategamer5567

Ultimategamer5567 Member

824 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    The same "fans" that get all of their football know-how from the "experts" on ESPN. Pathetic.
  2. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,167 Messages
    1,342 Likes Received
    When I read this my first thought was just do away with the game.

I scrolled down and it looks like a lot of you feel the same. Just get rid of it.
  3. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,535 Messages
    2,110 Likes Received
    The only thing more absurd than this ridiculous fiasco is going to be Goodell standing up afterwards crowing about what a huge success it was.
    nickjamesw43 likes this.
  4. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,822 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    Just make it a skills competition and be done with it. Have more fan involvement and call it pro bowl week, heck even throw in non-football competitions.
  5. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,049 Messages
    665 Likes Received
    I credit the league for trying something different. As it stands, all star games for any sport are just deadly dull.
  6. Lodeus

Lodeus Well-Known Member

2,974 Messages
    217 Likes Received
    I feel with all the minds that have working for the NFL that they could have thought of something better.
  7. AbeBeta

25,049 Messages
    665 Likes Received
    Don't people get tired of the "Goodell is an idiot" schtick?
  8. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,205 Messages
    1,336 Likes Received

no because it is easy and intellectually lazy. Goodell does NOTHING the owners have not already approved but that little fact escapes the weak and stupid and easily led
  9. AbeBeta

25,049 Messages
    665 Likes Received
    And here is where your knee jerk reaction makes you look silly.

This isn't Goodell's idea. It was put forth by the NFL Player's Union. It was their proposal.

So jump out and scream about Goodell when it isn't even his idea. Talk about intellectually lazy.
  10. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    They're copying off the NHL, although I wish they would have gone further with their format.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=5788378

Have fans pick the top 5 starters or w/e and then have those guys pick captains. The captains pick teams. Would you watch a selection show where Brady and Manning are calling up players around the league and telling them they're the 8th pick? Maybe. Which is more than I can say for the actual pro bowl.
  11. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

7,820 Messages
    315 Likes Received
    The only way to really 'fix' the game is not to have one. No amount of rule changes, formats, etc. is ever going to change the simple fact that the players don't want to get hurt, nobody really cares who wins and that's it all either a needless precursor or unfitting ending to the season.
  12. Wheeltax

Wheeltax Well-Known Member

868 Messages
    387 Likes Received
    I dislike fan vote stuff.
  13. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    It's never going away.

It's profitable, and it's a great ambassador of the game to Hawaii. Just hope Alaska doesn't get jealous.
    dogberry likes this.
  14. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,596 Messages
    724 Likes Received
    Sounds like they sat down and tried to figure a way to make it even less like a real football game than it was. But they had nothing to loose so maybe it's take on a life of it's own.
  15. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,095 Messages
    1,626 Likes Received
    I think more so for football since so many things are off limit, your can rush more than 4 and guys just play half hearted. It has been a long time since the Pro Bowl has some meaning behind it, like the years right after the AFL merged with the NFL. It had to do with pride as the NFL guys felt they were the supieror of the 2 leagues and AFL guys were trying to prove they were every bit as good. Now days it is a chance for guys to hang out together and talk about which team they may sign with next year.
  16. tupperware

tupperware A Plastic Container

7,269 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    Um, what?

Are you replying to burma specifically or backing up his point?
  17. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

25,848 Messages
    1,225 Likes Received
    I remember back when, when the NFL and MLB players would get together and compete in things like tug-of-war and things like that. Surprisingly enough, the MLB players would usually win those competitions.

The pro bowl is a joke and I have not watched one in I don't know how long.
  18. AbeBeta

25,049 Messages
    665 Likes Received
    Pointing out how his Goodell rant suggests he started ranting before he had any idea where the idea came from.

And clearly, a commish works for the owners and is elected by them. His point about doing nothing the owners don't want is pretty lame in that regard.
  19. Erik_H

Erik_H Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun. Zone Supporter

2,428 Messages
    66 Likes Received
    but I think burm was agreeing with you.
  20. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    Man, that Roger Goodell is doing a fantastic job of ruining football as we knew it.