1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Schein of FoxSports's Take On Atogwe...Mega Atogwe Speculation Thread *Merge*

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by ThreeSportStar80, Jun 5, 2010.

1. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  2. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,427 Messages
    1,612 Likes Received
    I don't trust that guy.

I feel like I just watched a sham wow commerical.
  3. evarc

evarc New Member

469 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    lol he does make a good point. I dont think there is a better fit for atogwe out there but is jerry willing to pony up the cash for a game changer? Every move dallas has made this season screams dumping contracts I dont know if they want to do this.
    With the money saved this year and the money we will save next year by cuting barber and williams jerry could do it if he wanted.
  4. SLATEmosphere

SLATEmosphere Benched

9,633 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It's all about cap details at this point. Jerry wants him but he's trying to be smart about it so it doesnt end up like the Hamlin deal.
  5. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,427 Messages
    1,612 Likes Received
    Yeah, Jerry has said all along he will let free agency come to him.

So Jerry may end up paying top dollar for this guy but I doubt it touches 7 mill per year like he is wanting.

There is just no way.

Im thinkin 3.5 a year.
  6. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,422 Messages
    919 Likes Received
    Jerry has number, but right now Atogwe's agent is asking a lot more. Nobody is wanting to pay what he wants though so when the price comes down we have a chance.
  7. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I thinking like 4 or 5 mil.
  8. BIGDen

BIGDen Dr. Freakasaurus Zone Supporter

4,388 Messages
    196 Likes Received
    The guy probably wants a long-term deal, but we could offer him a generous one-year deal that could land him a boatload of money and enormous exposure while he plays for a contract next year. He'll have a shot at a ring and would likely be much sought after by the end of the season. Jerry wouldn't have to worry about the cap in the future and this would be a great move for our defensive backfield. Upgrades and deepens safety as well as deepens corner (ball back to 4th corner). It's the kind of move that this team should make. We got screwed by the salary cap in the 90's and it killed our dynasty. This is a chance to get a top playmaker at a position of need with no salary cap hit. I really hope Jerry does this like when he went after Deion. We needed Sanders and he really strengthened our chances of getting that 5th ring. Go after this guy hard IF he's healthy and willing to take a front-loaded or 1 year contract.
  9. flashback

flashback Real Man of Genius

707 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    C'mon Schien. This guy will be 29 in a few weeks, and apparently, there isn't a team in the NFL who's even willing to admit they're interested in him, outside of the Rams, who lowballed him, and the Lions, who already said they won't meet his price. I don't think its too much of a stretch for the Cowboys to say they like Ball better. He's cheaper, younger, and we saw him for 3 or 4 games last year, and the defense did just fine. And if Hamlin or AOA beats him out, fine.

Why is everybody - except, of course, GMs of NFL teams - drooling over Atogwe?
  10. evarc

evarc New Member

469 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Because the guy has more turnovers in last 5 years then the our entire secondary for one. Another reason that comes to mind is that yea Ball filled in and the defense was okaybut with a guy like Atogwe playing along side Newman, Jenkins, Scandrick and Sensy it would allow for more exotic blitz packages causing more pressure, more sacks and more turnovers. If dallas gets him Ware breaks sack record you book it.
  11. john van brocklin

john van brocklin Captain Comeback

1,489 Messages
    165 Likes Received
    One year deal ???? Prove your worth !
  12. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He's a playmaker... The secondary would greatly benefit.
  13. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    IMO, this could be the worst non-move Jerry never made. This would literally be the final piece to the puzzle.

Where else would we have a weak spot?

Safety is the only answer here. And Atogwe makes the most sense.

Get this done, Jerry.

It would make 2010 something really special!!!
  14. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    It makes everyone in the secondary, and on the defense for that matter, that much better.
  15. SLATEmosphere

SLATEmosphere Benched

9,633 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It's awkward because he's already 29. If you give him a 4yr deal(which is what he probably wants) the last few years he might be on the decline.

I'd offer a 3yr 15 mil deal. 10 guarenteed. Have him make 6 mil this season.
  16. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,439 Messages
    410 Likes Received
    :hammer:
  17. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yep...
  18. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah I can't believe he's already 29...
  19. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    No one seems to be interested right now and I am assuming its because of his health status.

Chris mortensen said yesterday that Atogwe is still rehabbing his shoulder and it is now known he also has a sports hernia.
  20. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,439 Messages
    410 Likes Received
    I'm all for a 1 or 2 year deal, with a bunch of incentives this year.