1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Twitter: Scott Linehan Interview Tweetcap - 06/10/14

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jun 10, 2014.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,131 Messages
    6,913 Likes Received
    Mark Lane ‏@therealmarklane 11m
    Scott Linehan says you don't have the luxury to have a quarterback sit and be groomed. #BrandonWeeden
    Linehan says all the coaches are competitive here.
    Linehan also says that competition is what makes teams be their best.
    Linehan says Marinelli always has the DL "cranked up." Says you "better grow another arm" to take care of the ball.
    Linehan likes the music at practice; lets players get used to the game noise and use nonverbal communication.
    Linehan says Romo's "unavailability" helps team work on their depth.
    Linehan doesn't have any idea on Orton's availability, and he's been looking at his tape. Hasn't sent playbook to Orton.

Clarence Hill ‏@clarencehilljr 10m
    Linehan said brandon Weeden is having his best week and could supplant Orton as primary backup

2. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,581 Messages
    5,498 Likes Received
    Something tells me there is more to this story.
    DCBoysfan and visionary like this.
  3. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,131 Messages
    6,913 Likes Received
    big dog cowboy likes this.
  4. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,472 Messages
    2,368 Likes Received
    Linehan likes to go deep more than some and Weeden can certainly do that. He has a really big arm.
    But since 90% of passes require more touch, and that is a Weeden weakness, it's probably good to be cautious.

Still, it looks a bit like a warning shot to Orton.

On a short term (huge emphasis on short term) basis, I think either of those guys could succeed in this offense.
    jaybird likes this.
  5. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,858 Messages
    7,581 Likes Received
    "better grow another arm". Like that.

Re: Orton...getting supplanted would be the best thing that could happen from his perspective. He just doesn't want to have to give any money back, but, if he's replaced, he's got the best of both worlds. I expect when it's all said and done, he's back for mandatory practices, but mysteriously doesn't play all that well and the team rolls with Weeden in the regular season.
  6. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,959 Messages
    1,267 Likes Received
    Maybe. Maybe not. It could be as straight forward as Orton wants out, Cowboys will make him pay money back if he tries, but they are secure if he doesn't.

We'll know more next week when they become mandatory.

EDIT: As far as I know, if he retires and is forced to pay back the Cowboys, that money is applied to the cap? If so, Cowboys playing this just right.
  7. bpfred

bpfred Member

94 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    One of the other problems Weeden had in Cleveland was not getting the ball out at the proper time. Sometimes he would hold the ball too long, and take sacks. Other times, and this happened quite a bit, he would dump the ball down too quick, not give the defense time to expand, and get his receiver absolutely killed--those plays might look OK in the stat book as short completions, but it wasn't good for the health of his receivers.

Hopefully he can clean some of this up, because, as you said, he has a great arm, and makes some absolutely beautiful throws.
  8. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,858 Messages
    7,581 Likes Received
    Unless, of course, he just comes in and craps the bed on purpose. :(
  9. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,472 Messages
    2,368 Likes Received
    I think he has the tools, but I really have no idea how he'll turn out.

One thing for sure is that the two main things you described are very correctable with experience and coaching.
  10. Next Years Champ

Next Years Champ Active Member

507 Messages
    182 Likes Received
    Hahhaaa...ya think?

I think Orton needs to stop thinking he can do anything in civilian life that will pay anything close to his QB contract to play backup.

What really irritates me with this dude is when the team needs him getting ready to play in the place of Romo should he go down..

..huge opportunity for him to be a starter, a hero and be in a position to redirect his career..

instead he sits, pouts,postures and doesn't return calls.

Even if he desires to sit the season out..

what team is going to want him after being idle for going on 3 years now?

What a maroon as Bugs Bunny would say.