1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Scottie Hazleton rumored for Monte's staff

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by RS12, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Boyz981

Boyz981 Active Member

178 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Your wrong!
  2. DandyDon1722

DandyDon1722 It's been a good 'un, ain't it?

2,021 Messages
    540 Likes Received
    So we don't want old guys! We want to infuse youth and enthusiasm into our coaching staff with new and creative ideas to set trends not to follow them.

Then...when there is speculation on college coaches we blast them for never having done anything.

I guess at the end of the day that's what a Message Board is for but it's discouraging to say the least.
  3. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Hazelton was defensive coordinator at NDSU. They were a complete joke on defense before he was promoted to DC. In two years they went 14-1 and won the FCS Championship.
  4. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Welcome to bizarro world where Monte Kiffin doesn't know how to coach Defense. Check your brain at the door.
  5. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,229 Messages
    285 Likes Received
    I would hate to see him leave. Carter, lee, and Spencer has all gotten better under him
  6. jcollins28

jcollins28 Active Member

1,508 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I watched my share of SC games this year as well. IMO it looked like all 3 of SC's Sophmore L/B regressed this year under Hazleton.
  7. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

3,047 Messages
    630 Likes Received
    They did.
  8. dadymat

dadymat I'm kind of a Big Deal

6,022 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    so instead of praising him for 4 good/great years at ND, yall wanna harp on one season at USC?.....typical....

from what im reading on the guy (im not gonna pretend to know who he is like some) it appears he may have a bright future rising through the ranks and doing well everywhere hes been prior to one season on a team that was obviously bad
  9. DOUBLE WING

3,047 Messages
    630 Likes Received
    So on one hand, you want to throw out Monte Kiffin's college failures when deciding whether he can be successful again in the NFL.

On the other hand, you want to use Hazelton's success at a Division II school to defend him being promoted to his first NFL job.

Interesting.
  10. dadymat

dadymat I'm kind of a Big Deal

6,022 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    are you serious with that ?.....Kiffin has been a very successful NFL Coach for 26 yrs before he went to College, ill judge him on that, not because USC failed last season, or that he is 72........i swear some of you should be embarrassed by the ignorance you stoop to in order to defend your obvious ridiculous stance....

I dont know a thing about Hazelton...and id bet you dont either, but you rush to judge him, a LB coach , 1 year on the job for the failures at USC ...

I think ill trust Kiffin to select his assistants....hes picked a few good ones over the years
  11. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,354 Messages
    813 Likes Received
    Man, I usually think you don't know what you are talking about

But in the new, Bizarro Cowboy Zone world, you are one the few voices of reason.

Anyone working under Kiffin is going to do well. Guys are lining up for the three or four jobs at position coaches we have.
  12. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

15,987 Messages
    1,651 Likes Received
    Tony Dungy, Lovie Smith, Mike Tomlin and Herm Edwards were all assistant coaches under Monte Kiffin. Wonder who else he is going to have on his staff.
  13. DOUBLE WING

3,047 Messages
    630 Likes Received
    He has picked a few good ones, but he's also picked a few like Hazelton, who was awful at SC, so I'm not holding my breath.
  14. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

15,987 Messages
    1,651 Likes Received
    He is 39 years old and two years ago looked like:

[IMG]

He is from Colorado and played DB at a small school there. After he graduated they made him the DC. He then meandered around a bit.

From his wiki page:

Two years ago he was winning the div I championship on the strength of the Cover 2 he was running. Now though he is dealing with an entirely different league of athlete.
  15. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    If Kiffin thinks the man can coach . . . . he's got a talent for developing defensive assistants.
  16. brickman

brickman Well-Known Member

1,363 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    I'm still not sure what I think of the Kiffin hiring, but the fact that JG is on board with the hire (unlike Ryan who was selected for him) takes away all the excuses on the defensive side of the ball. Let Kiffin bring in his own people and see what happens. At this point, what other choice do we have?
  17. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I am really starting to get the feeling that JJ/Garrett knew well before the season ended that they were moving on from RR.

If the rumors are true that RR didn't attend some of the defensive meetings the last month of the season and that Eberflus was running the show, perhaps RR also wanted out . . . .
  18. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    a) I don't know why Monte Kiffin wouldn't get the benefit of the doubt on assistant coaching hires.... considering all the coaches he's plucked from obscurity and mentored ... Mike Tomlin, Lovie Smith, Gus Bradley, Raheem Morris. Look at their backgrounds before they came to Tampa. They were were nobodies. Also there are tons of stories out there of other coaches that Monte Kiffin hasn't personally coached but recommended to people when they consult him for advice. He reportedly recommended Bo Pelini to Nebraska. The guy is a young coach connoisseur.

b) I don't think Hazzleton is automatically the linebacker coach. He's coached almost every position and been a former defensive coordinator in the Tampa 4-3 at NDSU. He's been a DL coach a lot longer than he's beena LB coach. He coached linebackers at USC because there was an opening at that spot after Joe Barry left for the Chargers. I think he's the DL coach, and Eberflus could still be in the mix.
  19. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I hope Eberflus stays. But I do wonder with RR now going to the Rams, and apparently RR leaning on Eberflus to take care of the "details", whether he'll do whatever he can to take him to St Louis.

As for Eberflus, it possibly presents an interesting dilemma. Assuming he has a strongly positive opinion of Kiffin, and that he obviously must realize all the DC/HC who have originated working for Kiffin, whether he should stay (assuming Kiffin wants him).

Kiffin has led some of the top defenses in the NFL . . . . and if Kiffin can do the same in Dallas, it would lead to great opportunities for Eberflus.
  20. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Joe Barry was also "awful" at USC the year before as USCs LB coach ... but then he was hired by the Chargers to coach their LBs. And now the Chargers don't want to let him go because he's too good of a coach. And Gus Bradley will probably pluck him as his DC if he gets a HC gig.