1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Scotus D.Souter announces Retirement plans...

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by sbark, Apr 30, 2009.

1. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,708 Messages
    245 Likes Received
  2. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Well, since Souter was appointed by a Republican and ended up voting like a liberal, maybe Obama will appoint someone who will vote like a conservative. :rolleyes:

This should be a good fight, although Obama will be able to get confirmed about whoever he wants.
  3. sbark

3,708 Messages
    245 Likes Received
    ......it would be the bipartisanship thing to do, it was a campaign promise afterall........Ann Coulter or Michelle Bachman:D

I want to be the 1st to welcome Scotus Ayers........:eek: has he paid his taxes? Or does Hillary or Bill still have the resume' dusted off?
  4. Danny White

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    My darkhorse candidate:

[IMG]
  5. Danny White

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
  6. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It really won’t make much difference. One liberal will be replaced by another. Whomever Obama picks can’t be much worse. Ditto if Ginsburg hangs it up.
  7. sbark

3,708 Messages
    245 Likes Received
  8. xout

xout Believer

487 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I was hoping that we could possibly not have to deal with this until after the Hussein experiment. God help us all.
  9. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received

If he can get anybody he wants confirmed, how will it be a "good fight"??

By your own admission, the only thing the Party of No will be able to do is holler and scream and hold their breaths until they turn blue...

I think he should nominate Garofalo... :D :D :D

In reality, he'll probably appoint somebody pretty moderate...
  10. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Well, there's already speculation that he'll appoint another woman, so you might be on the right track...

You're one of the few in here whose posts often educate me...
  11. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Thank God he waited until Obama got into Office.
  12. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,686 Messages
    1,625 Likes Received
    yeah, obama will certainly heed what the Dems said when they talked about having to have balance on the court. What BS. THroughout the history of our country every president got to pick either libs or conservatives on his court as he saw fit- only when the dems were out was this BS balance supposedly brought out.
  13. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,318 Messages
    3,042 Likes Received
    I would hope Obama's nomination this time paid their taxes. :laugh2:
  14. sbark

3,708 Messages
    245 Likes Received
    Elections do have consequences — and so do appointments.

The biggest tension will come from the far-Left activists of Obama’s party. They’re losing a Lib rock. They can’t afford to have Souter replaced by a middle-ground justice who may not vote as reliably liberal as Souter. In fact, that will be Obama’s problem for all of the likely retirements on the Court — Ruth Bader Ginsburg and John Paul Stevens.

but I'm sure......the media angle on any nominee.....will be how "centrist" he/she is.............

....is Perez Hilton on the short list?
  15. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,318 Messages
    3,042 Likes Received
    President Bush nominated Souter as an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court on July 25, 1990,[6] and Souter took his seat on October 9, 1990, shortly after the United States Senate confirmed him by a vote of 90-9 after the Senate Judiciary Committee reported out the nomination by a vote of 14-3.

The nine senators voting against Souter included Ted Kennedy and John Kerry from Souter's neighboring state of Massachusetts. These senators, along with seven others, painted Souter as a right-winger in the mold of Robert Bork. They based their claim on Souter's friendships with many conservative politicians in New Hampshire. Their allegations failed to influence the other 90 senators because the press called him the "stealth justice" and showed that his professional record provoked little real controversy and provided very little paper trail. President Bush saw this lack of a paper trail as a positive for Souter, because one of President Reagan's nominees, Bork, had recently been rejected by the Senate partially because of the availability of his extensive written opinions on issues.[7] Bush claimed that he didn't know Souter's stances on abortion, affirmative action, or other issues.[3] The National Organization for Women opposed Souter's nomination and held a rally outside the hearings to oppose his selection.[3] The then-president of NOW, Molly Yard, testified that Souter would "end... freedom for women in this country."[8] Souter was also opposed by the NAACP, which urged its 500,000 members to write letters to their senators asking for Souter's defeat.[9] Despite this opposition and largely because of his lack of a paper trail, Souter won an easy confirmation compared to those of later Republican appointees.[10]

Souter spoke of his admiration for the conservative Justice John Marshall Harlan II of the Warren Court during his confirmation hearings.[4] The Wall Street Journal described the events leading up to the appointment of the "liberal jurist" in a 2000 editorial, saying Rudman in his "Yankee Republican liberalism" took "pride in recounting how he sold Mr. Souter to gullible White House chief of staff John Sununu as a confirmable conservative. Then they both sold the judge to President Bush, who wanted above all else to avoid a confirmation battle."[11] Rudman wrote in his memoir that he had "suspected all along" that Souter would not "overturn activist liberal precedents."[3] Sununu later said that he had "a lot of disappointment" about Souter's positions on the Court and would have preferred him to be more similar to Justice Antonin Scalia.[3]

After Souter was sworn in, he said, "The first lesson, simple as it is, is that whatever court we're in, whatever we are doing, at the end of our task some human being is going to be affected. Some human life is going to be changed by what we do. And so we had better use every power of our minds and our hearts and our beings to get those rulings right."
  16. Danny White

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Brace yourself, because he'll get at least three during his first term.

Ginsburg and Stevens are absolute mortal locks to retire over the next 4 years.

Souter was somewhat unexpected since he's relatively young and in good health.

Fortunately, all three are liberals, so Obama can't go terribly further to the left of them.

Would have been nice, though, to replace at least one of them with a Thomas or Scalia clone and really shift the court to the right.
  17. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,953 Messages
    4,302 Likes Received
    I wish we would not shift left or right but I guess that is what we get with Dems and Republicans making the choices.
  18. Danny White

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    That's exactly what I mean... my right wing cronies and I will scratch and claw to our hearts' content... sure we'll lose, there's not really anything we can do about that... but we can raise a stink while we're doing it. :D

Maybe I should have said "fun fight" rather than "good fight" since it's bound to be a loss.

My whole shop is already buzzing about writing stuff to fight this. Exciting times.

The only caveat to this is that, since he's sure to have multiple nominations in his first term, he may want to keep his powder dry with the female and/or hispanic nominee until he's closer to 2012 and can get more "credit" for the nomination closer to the election.

A nominee this early on is likely to be old news by 2012.

I don't think it'll be Hillary unless the two of them had a handshake deal during the convention about it.

You need to remember this quote that Obama had from the campaign trail to see the type he'll try to nominate:

I think it's highly likely that it'll be a minority for the first nominee. I don't think it'll be a black person because I think he'd be afraid that would come across as too cliche or predictable. That's why I was leaning towards hispanic.

How much of an absolute wildcard would it be if he nominated an openly gay nominee? That may be the one person that might not be able to get confirmation.

It would be a funny homage to Souter, though, who's never been married and has lived with his mother his whole life. :laugh2:
  19. Danny White

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    While I am an ideologue and like my judges and politicians predictable, I do see what you're saying. ;)

The Sandy O'Connors and Anthony Kennedys of the world do make things interesting because you can't really predict how they're going to vote. Those are always surprises, though, because they weren't nominated to be moderates, they just turned out that way.
  20. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,726 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    We need to keep in mind Obama did not think the Warren court was radical enough and considers our Constitution a charter of negative liberties. That should be enough to tell you what qualities Obama will require in his nominee.