1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Scout’s Notebook: Big Day For Rookie DT, Veteran Guard

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by RS12, Jul 27, 2014.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,673 Messages
    1,490 Likes Received
    As good as Henry Melton and Tyrone Crawford looked Saturday on the defensive line, rookie Davon Coleman was right there with them. Coleman had been lining up all over the line but in this practice he saw the majority of his action playing as the three technique next to Terrell McClain. McClain spent most of his time as the one-technique after taking majority of his snaps during the spring at the three in place of Melton. Coleman physically looks much wider and stouter than he does tall when you stand next to him. There were several times during the practice where he would beat a block on the front side and end up in the backfield near the ball or use a spin move on a pass rush to throw the blocker off balance, working his way to the quarterback. It was impressive that every time I looked up, he was making some type of disruptive play -- which was no different from what we had seen on his college tape at Arizona State. For a young player, he plays with surprisingly good hand use and awareness in how to try and free himself from blockers. He really fits the scheme well in how he gets up the field and disrupts things. He needs to keep building on this type of practice.

With Ronald Leary most likely to be out until at least Tuesday with the slight hamstring injury, Mackenzy Bernadeau and Uche Nwaneri have been getting work on that left side

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...827?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
    BigStar likes this.
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,673 Messages
    1,490 Likes Received
    Be nice to hit on one of these DLs.
    diehard2294 and jjktkk like this.
  3. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,669 Messages
    3,187 Likes Received
    Can't wait to see Coleman in a preseason game.
    Carharris2 likes this.
  4. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,720 Messages
    357 Likes Received
    That's my pet cat and I think he will be fun to watch.
  5. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

938 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    I've been thinking that one of Bishop or Coleman would make the team with the other on the practice squad, but both could easily end up on the team. I could also see them carrying 6 DTs because of the position flexibility Coleman and Bass have.
  6. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,859 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    If Coleman and Bishop both make it. I think they have to let Hayden go. Add Bass in the equation and it gets even tighter for all of them. I think they go only 4-5 DTs. They will want to keep a lot of those outside rushers too.
  7. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

6,663 Messages
    524 Likes Received
    Guys like Coleman and Lawrence are so key to the success of this D. Need these young guys to come in for 15-20 snaps and bring some activity to the DL.
    Whether they start or not, you figure Melton, McClain, Crawford and Selvie will get the majority of snaps. Hayden and Mincey ideally will come in for 15 snaps and be solid. The wild cards are Lawrence and Coleman.
  8. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,818 Messages
    639 Likes Received
    For sure, they really need two guys who can really play out of that group this year, even if there are just depth guys.
  9. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,669 Messages
    3,187 Likes Received
    I think both Coleman and Bishop make the team.
  10. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

938 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    And no matter what our depth will be dramatically better than last season. This year the last guy off the bench will be someone like Coleman or Bishop. Last year that position was filled by whoever answered our ad on Craigslist.
  11. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,720 Messages
    357 Likes Received
    lmao...
  12. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

2,438 Messages
    651 Likes Received
    Davon Coleman has some quickness to him that opposing guards have a world of trouble defending against. He's certainly well-suited to Marinelli's scheme of DT play in that sense. Bishop and Coleman rightfully should both be in the running to win a spot this year with the Cowboys. It should be interesting keeping track of their progress in camp. Both are definitely praise-worthy prospects.
  13. kapolani

kapolani Well-Known Member

1,273 Messages
    84 Likes Received
    We were good in the 90's because we could bring wave after wave of guys that could bring pressure.

If we can replicate that, opposing OLines will be wrecked by the half.