1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Scout’s Notebook: Broaddus Evaluates Senior Bowl Players

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RS12, Jan 22, 2013.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,384 Messages
    1,255 Likes Received
    The Senior Bowl buzz about safety Jonathan Cyprien of Florida International is legit. The kid has range on the backend but he can also work down in the box. Assignments seem sure and when he is asked to cover, he can do the job. Only saw one play where he was out of position but rallied to get back in shape. Will need to check his awareness when ball went to the outside and he appeared a little late to find it but other than that was just fine. Like McDonald looking forward to see the physical side of the game but will have to check his college tape for sure.

Defensive tackle Sylvester Williams is a load inside. Is a hard guy to deal with when he is on the move. He plays with power and some upper body strength. Would be a fit as that one technique in the Cowboys scheme. Saw some late pass rush moves to free himself but will need more training in this area because did see a couple plays in team where he was single blocked on the pass. Like the way he handled the run at. Kawann Short of Purdue is another guy to keep your eye on. There were questions about his motor and if he would play all the time but I am not seeing that now. Like Williams he has been in the backfield a bunch during the 9-on-7 period. He too plays with power and is a taller player than Williams.

There was some great matchups between offensive tackle Eric Fisher and defensive end Datone Jones of UCLA. Both players went back and forth causing each problems. Fisher is very good with his feet which has given the ends trouble but Jones has played with explosiveness which gave Fisher some trouble. The ability for Jones to get on Fisher quickly didn’t allow him to get a set on him and he was able to carry him back into the backfield a couple of times. Fisher got him a couple of times on cut off blocks but when Jones got free, he was able to chase from the backside. Jones would be a nice fit as the weakside end or where Ware plays on the backside because of his ability to run.

Texas wide receiver Marquise Goodwin turned some heads on Monday with his ability to get open

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...9dc?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,384 Messages
    1,255 Likes Received
    Sorry Rambo fans.
  3. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,245 Messages
    4,789 Likes Received
    Rambo was suspended for the 1st four games or 2012 for a failed drug test and the 1st game of 2011 for what was described as "an inadvertent brush with marijuana".

The one thing that clearly seems to have changed since Garrett became Head Coach is the emphasis, almost over-emphasis on character/mental-makeup issues.
  4. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,467 Messages
    173 Likes Received

:(, he is the one player I want us to wind up with in the draft. Hoping it's just a smoke screen to hide our interest.
  5. Thatkidbob

Thatkidbob Member

343 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    I'm liking Sylvester Williams more and more. Datone Jones & K. Short also sound like players. If we can grab a 2 good D-linemen, a starter for the OL & a safety I think we're in good shape.
  6. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,450 Messages
    1,282 Likes Received
    Datone Jones flat out jumps off the screen at you.

Eric Fisher is also an excellent OT prospect.

The interior guys are harder to gauge until we get to the live game.
    Need to see them in repeated live reps versus good opponents.

Terrence Williams actually can't run routes worth jack. Tons of athleticism and has great hands tho. Poor man's Dez Bryant which means worth late r1 grade.

I liked Trufant and the Poyer kid at CB. Poyer is a pure Cover 2 CB.
    I know, I know we can't use high picks on a CB. Just noticed them.

I like Marquise Goodwin a lot. Should be a round 4 guy and in that area he gives you a fun tool to use. A much stronger Beasley with an extra gear. Old school slot guy in the Kevin Williams mold.
  7. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,868 Messages
    2,132 Likes Received
    I was thinking Sylvester Williams was a possiblity in the 2nd round for us, but I'm not so sure he'll be there if he keeps this up.
    The 18th pick seemed a bit early for him though, though Todd McShay has him going exactly there in his Dec 12th mock.
  8. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,245 Messages
    4,789 Likes Received
    He is going to need to check out in the work-ethic area. There have been some reports that this is an issue; however, not nearly as many as the number of reports about Kawann Short's work-ethic.
  9. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,408 Messages
    8,301 Likes Received
    I can't see how anyone can think he's not one of the top 32 players in this class and therefore a 1st round pick.

He's a serious option for me at 18.
  10. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I have no idea why some people had him outside of the 1st round to begin with. Scout's Inc. has had him at #9 for awhile now.
  11. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,868 Messages
    2,132 Likes Received
    Sure seems to be the case.

I'm a UNC (and ECU) grad and tend to keep up with them fairly well (maybe explains why I liked Coples last year more than most here).
  12. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,408 Messages
    8,301 Likes Received
    Maybe because he's older. Maybe it's because he only played a year of high school ball and he's got a checkered background. I don't know.

Scouts Inc. has been high on him. Kiper not as much. I've seen others with him in the 2nd and even 3rd round.

I just don't see how guys like Richardson and Short are consensus 1st rounders and Williams isn't.

This is a great story of how Williams got to this point. To me this is a guy who is just scratching the surface of his potential.
  13. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,467 Messages
    173 Likes Received

That was a really good read, thanks for posting that story.
  14. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,450 Messages
    1,282 Likes Received
    Sylvester Williams is interesting to watch but he needs to show it in the actual game.

Very productive guy with ideal size for a 1 Tech.

Only issue is with inconsistency in technique and ability to play hard every down at that size.

In the 1v1s at senior bowl practice he wins some battles handily then loses some badly as well. Probably due to technique and fatigue.
  15. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    I think it is age and how much better is a 24 yo going to get vs. a 21 yo.
  16. blackbull

blackbull Well-Known Member

1,284 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    If weed issues make Jason skeptical of Rambo he's more of a clown than advertised.
  17. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Was Janoris Jenkins on the Cowboys draft board last year? This predates Garrett, as I don't remember the Cowboys taking anyone with drug issues in the Wade era either. Seems like drug issues have been a no-go for the organization ever since this......

[IMG]
  18. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,467 Messages
    173 Likes Received
    He failed one drug test. The first suspension was b/c he was pulled over and the girl with him had Marijuana in her purse. The character claims are a bit overboard. He isn't even close to a Mathieu who has failed numerous times, and yet people still want him. The fact of the matter is, he is a great fit for the scheme we will be running and will be around in the 2nd-3rd round.

Great fit, great value? If he is on the board, go for it.
  19. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,582 Messages
    1,555 Likes Received
    no charactor risks. period.
  20. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,582 Messages
    1,555 Likes Received
    after Sam Hurd, Brent, now Rat you claim over emphasis is bad?

the boys took a risk with Brent and how well did that pay off?