1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Scouting the OTs: DJ Fluker, Alabama

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RS12, Jan 30, 2013.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,146 Messages
    1,128 Likes Received
    PHYSICAL MAKEUP:

DJ Fluker presents as a big, thickly built offensive tackle. He has a wide trunk and thick legs, both of which suggest success anchoring down and holding his position against NFL defensive linemen. Fluker measured in at the Senior Bowl at 6’4 7/8 and 355lbs. He won’t be the tallest tackle in the NFL, but he meets the minimum height requirements for the position. He’s a bit on the heavy side for what you’d like to see at either right or left tackle; his mearsureables (ht/wt) are more in line with what you’d expect from a guard.

Fluker’s not sloppy. He’s got some excess beef around the midsection, but he doesn’t look soft. The most impressive thing about Fluker’s body-type is his length. His arms measured in at an astronomical 36 7/8 inches long. When Fluker gets a quick jump off the snap and uncoils his punch, there’s not a defensive lineman in the country that will get into his body. His arm length is a major asset that will set him apart from similarly graded prospects.

STRENGTH/PHYSICALITY

Fluker is a mauler. He’s a physical player who sticks to his assignment and gives 100% effort at all times. He possesses adequate to above-average strength for the position, and will fare well on the right side of an NFL offensive line. When Fluker has his hands in the power position, he drives the bus with ease. Rarely does he display inferior strength vs. his opponent.

Fluker displayed solid technique and mechanics on a game-to-game basis. At times, Fluker’s base can get too wide (beyond shoulder width) and it leaves him vulnerable to the quicker, lighter-footed defensive end. Fluker seems to rely too much on his strength, and as a result, he gets sloppy with his footwork and falls behind the defender. He doesn’t project as a player that will mirror well on the next level; he is going to have to be quick off the snap and get his hands on his opponent early in pass protection. If not, he will get beat to the edge.

MOVEMENT SKILLS/ATHLETIC ABILITY

Fluker is a big, husky player. It’s not surprising that it takes him a while to get moving. But the most concerning part of Fluker’s tape is that on several occasions, he’s one of the last linemen to move off the snap. That’s a big red flag, as an NFL DE will be by you in the blink of an eye. Fluker is able to make up for a slower kick step with his long arms, checking the defender long enough to regain good position. However, there’s enough concern with his initial movement to suggest he will struggle vs. speed rushers in the NFL.

http://firstroundgrade.com/2013/01/30/scouting-the-ots-dj-fluker-alabama/
  2. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

3,103 Messages
    759 Likes Received
    He'll move inside to G at the next level. I know his arms are ridiculously long, but he'll be eaten alive by athletic DE's in the NFL if he stays at OT. I'd rather have a lot of other players than Fluker.
  3. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    His hands are big enough to palm an iPad.
  4. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,234 Messages
    288 Likes Received
    To slow to play OT in the NFL and to slow to play OG in a zone blocking scheme. So Dallas has no need for him.
  5. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

3,495 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    Not interested either.
  6. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,459 Messages
    1,652 Likes Received
    I think he is a 4th rounder.

Shed some weight and get his footwork technique better and you may have a nice player at Right Tackle.
  7. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,590 Messages
    4,151 Likes Received
    As other posts indicated, he is too slow at RT.

He could be a great OG in a power-man blocking scheme.

If somebody wants to try him a RT, then he's going to have to lose 25 lbs.
  8. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,285 Messages
    1,178 Likes Received
    I believe Fluker is the best pure RT in this class.

No one was crying about how big guys were when we had Big E and Larry Allen.

No one was calling Fluker slow of foot when he was downfield blocking Manti Te'o.

There will always be disagreements about players but anyone doubting Fluker should probably re-investigate.

If this guy falls to Dallas in round 2 he is the guy.

This guy is massive but not some tub of lard. He was called the most impressive physical specimen at the Senior Bowl weigh ins.

This is my pet cat of 2013.
  9. xwalker

11,590 Messages
    4,151 Likes Received
    The message board would be boring if everybody was in agreement with everybody else. It's good to hear opposing opinions.

I would make a bet that he only plays RT if he is under a certain weight (330 lbs); however, the NFL team rosters never have accurate weight data.

Larry Allen and Erik Williams (pre-wreck) had very quick feet. I was just watching a video yesterday of the play where Larry Allen chased down the guy on the interception return. It's still as impressive as ever. Neither Flucker or Warmack have Larry Allen quickness, IMO. Allen and Williams both played at about 325 lbs.

10. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,285 Messages
    1,178 Likes Received
    Agreed about opinions.

Also agreed about footwork for Allen and Big E. Allen was actually fleet of foot early on his career.

But later in his career he played WELL above 325 pounds and wasn't as quick. He got by on brute strength. Big E was listed at 324 but that was when in top physical shape. Guarantee he gained weight as he got older.

Fluker isn't as good as either player was in their prime. Mainly referencing really, really big OL who also happened to be our best ever.

But he does remind me a great deal of Phil Loadholt as we have discussed. I believe he would be our best OG day 1 and gives us a serviceable RT who can really dominate in run blocking. Something I think this board can universally agree Doug Free does not do.

He is definitely a better athlete than James Carpenter, the guy he replaced at Bama who starts (when healthy) for the much bally-hooed Seahawks OL.

If Fluker is there in round 2 I grab him in a heartbeat. He can compete at RT and RG. Would probably be an improvement at either.

But he is generally considered a late first round pick right now. Mocks have him going to the Steelers and Packers fairly regularly late in round 1.
  11. xwalker

11,590 Messages
    4,151 Likes Received
    They moved James Carpenter to OG.

Keep in mind that Callahan is known for his Zone Blocking Scheme.

I have reviewed all of the Cowboys games on the All-22. Many of their Zone Stretch Runs that failed were due to 1 player being 1 step late to their block.

I can't blame all of those failures on a lack of quickness because there were some failed blocks where the OL stayed on his initial help-block too long; although in theory the quicker the player the longer he can stay with the help block and still get to his required 2nd block.

I'm not advocating for or against the ZBS, just pointing out that quickness is critical if you're planning to use it.
  12. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    I like him too. If he fails at right tackle or Parnell turns out to be the real deal for cheap then you have a potentially elite right guard.

I don't think he is as long at Loadholdt, who played very well at left tackle in college but he reminds me of Leonard Davis. He is plenty quick for right guard and is not so tall at about 6-5 that he would have no leverage. I'd rather have him than Warford and I like Warford.
  13. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    We need to figure out what we are and then draft accordingly.
  14. xwalker

11,590 Messages
    4,151 Likes Received
    Agree. If Callahan becomes the play caller, then I think the ZBS is definitely their primary scheme. The blocking for the running game in 2012 didn't change nearly as much schematically from the run blocking in 2011 as I thought that it would.

It's not just ZBS vs Man-Blocking but the details of who blocks who that is important. The Cowboys seem to design some run plays that appear doomed before the snap.

For example:
    The play is a run to the right, inside the RT.
    DL is lined up between the Center and RG.
    LB is lined up slightly to the (offensive) right of the RG and behind the DL.

Blocking option A:
    The RG is a step closer to the LB.
    The RG is required to block the LB.
    The OC makes a reach block trying to get to the right of the DL.

Blocking option B:
    The RG has the assignment to block left on the DL.
    The RG can fire out and drive the DL left, no reach block required.
    The OC has the responsibility to block the LB.

Option A is doomed pre-snap if the DL moves slightly towards the RG and away from the OC.

Option B is doomed pre-snap if the LB moves a step to the (offensive) right away from the OC.

It appeared to me that in both 2011 and 2012 the Cowboys appeared to pick the wrong option often; whereas, other teams appeared to pick the other (correct) option on similar plays.

15. Hoov

Hoov Senior Member

4,757 Messages
    253 Likes Received
    I watched him during one of Alabama's games (by that i mean i just watched him for much of the game rather than following the ball). I remember one play where a Defensive player was coming from the outside to get to the QB and im not even sure the player was his assignment - when he saw the defensive player they were already past him so he spun around and dove a few yards into the backfield and was able to get a block on the player. It was an impressive play and i dont think ive ever seen a lineman actually do that before.
  16. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,732 Messages
    673 Likes Received
    People said that Cordy Glenn had to move inside in the pros too.

But what little I saw of him, he looked pretty good out at tackle.
  17. da_whiz_kid

da_whiz_kid Active Member

864 Messages
    110 Likes Received

It's funny actually reading up on the type of offense we ran and the ZBS. In the ZBS as you mentioned, quickness is key to getting to the block. In the Coryell(this was hilarious) the requirements for it to work efficiently were, a good line, one that could create a pocket and type for the QB to step in and hit his WR that were deep, and a power run game. It was about timing and rhythm and the wr had to be in their spots. So if the ZBS is not working because the players were not quick enough to run it, and your passing game is lacking to very key details to running the offense correctly(power run, great protection up front), couple that with lack of adjustments, I don't see how we even won 8 games considering how inefficiently the offense was being run as a whole.
  18. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,511 Messages
    1,499 Likes Received
    I like Long. He's got short arms but I like everything else about him.
  19. Tezz

Tezz Active Member

378 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    He might go 1st-early 2nd because I think he would have a smooth transition to Guard if he fails at RT.
  20. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I like, not love him.

I prefer Chris Faulk and he fits the bill of us drafting injured players that fall.