1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Scout's Eye: Cowboys-Giants review

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Arch Stanton, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton it was the grave marked unknown right beside

6,475 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Scout's Eye: Cowboys-Giants review

By Bryan Broaddus

In a contest that could have gone either way, the New York Giants-Dallas Cowboys game played out like I believed it would.

There was no doubt in my mind that a missed opportunity on offense or a blown coverage on defense would steer the momentum of the game one way or another. The more I studied, the more it became apparent to me that these teams were similar in the manner in which they played. Both teams had struggled on the offensive line, both teams had problems covering receivers in the secondary, and both had shown the ability to run the ball and make big plays in the passing game on the outside. Where the Giants were a little better than the Cowboys in this game was their ability to get pressure on the quarterback without having to commit extra defenders to the rush. I figured Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul was going to be a handful for Doug Free, and he was, but that was only one of many matchups that shaped this game.

Read more:http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowb.../scoutrpt/scouts-eye-cowboys-giants-review-2?
  2. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Wow.

Dez Bryant needs to get the football more, imo. Bryant is getting open. I think Bryant and Robinson take that pass for 6. I still think that ball was thrown well enough to be caught. Austin did drift towards the sidelines and did look slow. I agree. Austin could have dove for that football.

With Austin coming off a leg injury and Bryant and Robinson going yard, why not dial up Bryant or Robinson for the kill shot?

For the love of football, can our dumb coaches get Newman to play press coverage. Man, that dropped pick six was a killer for Newman. It could end his Cowboys career. What if he makes that play? It was sad and sickening to watch.

The Cowboys did indeed run the bend zone for Felix Jones just liked I called for, and it worked.
  3. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Newman was getting beat in 2004, and Parcells told him to play press and not worry about getting beat. Parcels basically told him that he could live with the results. Newman was playing off, because he was worried about getting beat in 2004. When Newman starting playing press, he starting playing some great football and shut Terrell Owens down later in that year. Newman finished the 2004 strong.

Sometimes, I wish Parcells would have stuck it out, honestly. If Parcells would have been younger, I wonder what would have happened?
  4. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I just watched the game, again, on NFL Network.

Except for Newman's dropped pick six, he played a very good game in the first half. That ball was a duck, too. The ball was fluttering like a falling bird. Still, Terence Newman should make that play.

Newman played press for most of the game and appeared to play good. Nicks caught a ball for 26 yards (2nd half), and it looked like cover 2. Newman looked his worst on Manningham's dropped ball in the end-zone. It looked like he was running in mud.

You are right. I don't understand why Newman was playing off Manningham so far on 4th and 3. That was a bad mistake.

Nevertheless, the Cowboys lack of a pass rush was a real issue in this game. Furthermore, the two big busts in the secondary were killer. Newman didn't have any thing to do with those two big plays.

Felix Jones looked unbelievable in this game. Jones was spectacular in this game, as a runner, receiver, and pass protector.
  5. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Anthony Spencer's invisible act hurt this team, especially with Ware out and playing hurt. Dallas needs another pass rusher or two on this team.

I think Jay Ratliff is still good, but I don't think he is the player that he was in 2008 and 2009. Ratliff was getting doubled and tripple teamed some on passing plays, but I think the Eagles and Giants can move him in the running game. Furthermore, they don't always need a double team to do it, either. Playing NT, when undersized, can take it's toll, imo.