1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Scout's Eye: Main Impressions From Week 2 OTAs

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by BrAinPaiNt, Jun 3, 2014.

1. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,301 Messages
    4,625 Likes Received
    Bryan Broaddus

IRVING, Texas – The second week of Organized Team Activities saw some big changes for the Cowboys -- largely thanks to some players leaving the lineup with injuries, while others returned to the field.

Having had a chance to watch the fourth practice of this spring period, I jotted down some main thoughts, headlined by the return of a key member to the secondary.

Morris Claiborne was back on the practice field after working just in individual drills last week. Claiborne lined up at right cornerback when the defense went to their nickel package and he did a nice job of working against

Read more... http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...k-2-OTAs/be184c7e-0b58-4264-b753-d805ae2a8699
  2. EST_1986

EST_1986 Well-Known Member

1,708 Messages
    1,164 Likes Received
    Hoping this is the year Claiborne puts it all together and breaks out.
  3. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,946 Messages
    511 Likes Received
    Crawford beating Martin on a line stunt, good learning experience.
  4. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,696 Messages
    3,194 Likes Received
    It will be interesting to see once the pads are on how the youngsters Bishop and Coleman do. I hope they're both good enough to make the final roster.
  5. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Well-Known Member

3,049 Messages
    1,083 Likes Received
    Can't wait for preseason so we can get a look ourselves.
  6. guag

guag Right Kind of Guy

6,686 Messages
    1,430 Likes Received
    Happy to hear that our 7th round & UDFA defensive linemen are showing something out there. Also happy that Claiborne is holding his own against Dez.
    adbutcher likes this.
  7. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,859 Messages
    1,704 Likes Received
    you do understand this is not in pads right? Anything Line connected means squat.
  8. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,734 Messages
    387 Likes Received
    I like Coleman a lot even though I hope both make the roster. We need big, strong, and quick guys in the middle and dominant run side. Coleman plays nasty but I not too familiar with Bishop. What's the scouting report on Bishop?
  9. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,556 Messages
    1,814 Likes Received
    He did last year too...

The problem with Mo has been scheme/injuries. He's a lot like Newman in that, he'd be a lot better if you just said "hey, go cover that guy"
  10. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,946 Messages
    511 Likes Received
    You do realize there is a mental aspect to line play right? Making the right reads, being in the right position to make the block, communication between each other.
  11. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,562 Messages
    2,429 Likes Received
    I'm cautiously optimistic on both Coleman and Bishop. A bunch of us liked the Bishop pick, but I admit to not knowing much about Coleman pre-draft.

When you add up the numbers, It's gonna be a challenge to make the team for some of these guys. They have about 12-13 players vying for 8 (9 max) spots.
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
    adbutcher likes this.
  12. guag

guag Right Kind of Guy

6,686 Messages
    1,430 Likes Received
    True. I really hope that we're gonna let our corners play more man this season.
  13. starfrombirth

starfrombirth Well-Known Member

3,933 Messages
    476 Likes Received
    http://cowboyszone.com/threads/my-ongoing-random-college-analysis.287182/
    Ken Bishop DT 6'1/2" 312 lbs

This is a little more difficult for me because there are only youtube highlights with really bad focus. But in my opinion and I stress opinion he dominated his level of competition playing with both strength, leverage, and speed for a man his size. He showed a good awareness for the ball always being around it and making the play. Bear in mind it's his highlight film. He showed very good penetration being able to use his hands to fight off the offenses hand grabs to penetrate the gap. Showed good lateral quickness often making the play down the line away from him or down the field. Needs to transform some of his chub into muscle but is a good project with one of our 42 7th round selections. :D
  14. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,734 Messages
    387 Likes Received
    This, you cannot be physical in pads unless you know where in the heck you are going/doing.

Footwork, hand placements, alignments, and assignments are more difficult than asking a cat that's 260-318lbs to run into a 300lber. The physical is the easy part of football.
  15. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,734 Messages
    387 Likes Received
    Thanks brethren. I can't wait to see the young pups get after it in camp. The competition should be fierce.
  16. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

9,896 Messages
    1,874 Likes Received
    Good, they need the competition. As usual, some may prove what they think they are, some may not. I'm hoping they all do, creates better play. Only problem is, some other team will notice too, and we may lose a good future player. Can try to get them to the PS, but they are still open to other teams. That leaves hoping for they create good camp competition, we keep the best that can play, but the others don't show enough to be picked up by other teams but good enough to keep on PS to develop. Tough choice, good for team though.
    DFWJC likes this.
  17. starfrombirth

starfrombirth Well-Known Member

3,933 Messages
    476 Likes Received
    Your welcome. Xwalker inspired me this year and a lot of what I did was at his prompting. I really enjoyed doing this this year and hope to have a more comprehensive list next year. I'm hoping to network with him, couchscout, and some others to come up with a nexus draft analysis for next year. Still in the baby stages since I just thought of doing this a couple of days ago. Glad you liked it. There are some other analysis on there. Feel free to refer back to it in the year to come and see how close I came. I always appreciate constructive criticism. :D
    Corso likes this.
  18. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,734 Messages
    387 Likes Received
    I just perused your post again and imho, you did a good job. Keep up the good work!
  19. Corso

Corso Well-Known Member

2,425 Messages
    1,603 Likes Received
    I look forward to seeing it.
    You do good work.