1. CowboysZone Upgrade Completed!

The software that powers CowboysZone.com has been upgraded. The upgrade process was massive so there may be a few lingering effects and there may be a need to take the site offline to deal with any issues that arise.

Please report any problems you find to Reality!
    Dismiss Notice

Scout's Eye: Some Personnel Notes From Practice

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by dmq, Jun 9, 2014.

1. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Village Idiot

6,430 Messages
    3,881 Likes Received
    He did with TO. He used to move around a lot. Not sure what happened after he left, though.

2. Maxmadden

Maxmadden Well-Known Member

1,480 Messages
    563 Likes Received
    Beasley outside would be limited as far as effective routes, but I think the main objective is to get Dez in the slot and shake things up a bit.

5Stars likes this.
  3. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

4,377 Messages
    2,817 Likes Received
    Attacking the middle of the field?

Blasphemous!

DoctorChicken likes this.
  4. guag

guag Get some rest, Pam. You look tired.

8,766 Messages
    3,279 Likes Received
    Ultimately, if Street develops, I can see him being the one to take the outside in these situations. I think they're going with Beasley simply because he's their 3rd best receiver currently.

5. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

4,702 Messages
    3,168 Likes Received
    That would be an ideal scenario if Dez isn't on the outs. Williams and Street on the outside with Dez in the slot. Beasley on the outside is a tad scary to me.

6. Future

Future Intramural Legend

17,630 Messages
    2,717 Likes Received
    Atlanta game in 2009.

7. jobberone

jobberone Kane Ala Staff Member

47,010 Messages
    9,454 Likes Received
    Is that you Forrest? :) Loved that movie. Can still watch it anytime.

5Stars and TwoDeep3 like this.
  8. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

5,205 Messages
    1,643 Likes Received
    i don't think size is the issue. beasly is a super quick guy but not super fast. his strength is running routes not running by people. inside that is more effective. i could see him outside some but his real strength is inside routes, even if ran from the outside because in a small space he is hard to cover because he is super quick in and out of cuts

9. DoctorChicken

DoctorChicken Well-Known Member

1,627 Messages
    1,927 Likes Received
    Yeah, we'll be seeing a lot of those.

I've been studying Linehan's offense, and it certainly is "creative", if that's a good word to describe it.

10. Maxmadden

Maxmadden Well-Known Member

1,480 Messages
    563 Likes Received
    Definitely won't hurt to get Beasley some reps out there although I think Harris would be the short term replacement until Street develops. I think it neutralizes Beasleys strengths putting him outside. Hopefully one of the young guys steps up. The receivers they have been accumulating lately are definitely outside receivers. Hope your right about Street.

11. jobberone

47,010 Messages
    9,454 Likes Received
    Throw the ball or run where they ain't. It's not hard.

12. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

7,672 Messages
    3,820 Likes Received
    The T-shirt he wipes his face on. That breaks me up every time.

jobberone likes this.
  13. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

12,205 Messages
    2,357 Likes Received
    I'm excited for our 02 or 01 sets personally.

Dez
    Williams
    Beasley
    Witten
    Escobar

or

Dez
    Williams
    Beasley
    Street
    Witten

I know it won't be used very often, but if you mix Harris in here and there, could be some nice quick plays out of this set.

Blitz if you must but that group should be able to get open pretty quick.

14. jobberone

47,010 Messages
    9,454 Likes Received
    I'm not a huge Beasley fan. I like him. I think he can get some separation whether in the slot or outside but outside he's not running by anyone unless they muck it up. He'll have to run stuff underneath and to the outside. He should do well with back shoulder catches out there. JMO.

15. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

22,446 Messages
    12,187 Likes Received
    Part of that is just the logic of the depth chart. If they had Carr at LCB when both Claiborne and Scandrick are at RCB then they would be developing a 2nd string RCB but not a 2nd string LCB.

16. Cebrin

Cebrin Well-Known Member

1,201 Messages
    706 Likes Received
    I saw Dez in the slot a bit last year. I think it was used sparing due to youth in personnel. They have more time to develop the idea with proven young receivers this year as opposed to last year where we were never sure who our #3 #4 #5 guy was going to be until the season was half passed. Williams turned out to be solid and Beas also showed he can be a viable asset. Now that you know you've at least 4 guys who can go out there and make plays, you're more comfortable at making them learn routes in different areas. However, Beas will have to really prove himself on the outside because, we drafted a guy that will certainly compete for versatility and sure hands.

17. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,783 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    lol

The Doubting Beasleys will never surrender.

jobberone likes this.
  18. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

22,446 Messages
    12,187 Likes Received
    Beasley might be good on the WR screen play sometimes called the smoke play or smoke screen.

19. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Village Idiot

6,430 Messages
    3,881 Likes Received
    It doesn't seem like Romo has been terribly accurate on those plays, even though I have no stats to back it up. I think they ran it a few times with Ogletree, but he was playing out of the slot, if memory serves.

20. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

28,470 Messages
    3,247 Likes Received
    That is the part that worries me. It seems that the Cowboys have the horses up front now, so maybe, if they are Princeton smart, they will RUN THE FRIGGEN BALL, and not rely on Romo to save the day!