1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Scout's Eye: Some Personnel Notes From Practice

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by dmq, Jun 9, 2014.

1. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,069 Messages
    2,501 Likes Received
    Scandrick is also a seasoned veteran.
  2. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,141 Messages
    1,461 Likes Received
    lol I love shrimp.

(stupid cowboy fans)
    jobberone likes this.
  3. 5Stars

26,141 Messages
    1,461 Likes Received
    Have A Good Day.....

Oh,,,crap!
  4. 5Stars

26,141 Messages
    1,461 Likes Received
    He's a little bad *** football player that is for sure. Sneaky.....lol
  5. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    I like Beasley more than most players on this team. It is not due to great talent, but he is a fantastic role player. By that comment, I mean that there are very few quality role players on this team and I think more is needed. He iSight tied by size and talent, but he is dependable as a third down option. There seems to be a shortage of dependable role players on this team which makes me value him more than most players. He gets the most from his limited talent and that is better than than the very talented players with doesn't play up to their ability. Carter , Mo and past players such as Austin and even Hatcher would have benefitted if they played with Cole's effort.
  6. Cumart21

Cumart21 Active Member

297 Messages
    173 Likes Received
    The current running backs on the roster may not allow for this strategy. This team needs a workhorse to compliment Demarco.
  7. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Well-Known Member

2,996 Messages
    1,047 Likes Received
    Role players are rare these days in the NFL as most players need to be able to play special teams as well. Having a player only able to play a handful of offensive or defensive plays and no special team plays hurts the team. Beasley can return punts although that will be Harris's job as long as he's healthy. The fact that Beasley is on the 54 last year and will be this year shows you that he's a special player.
  8. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    I don't think that's quite what he meant when he said we need more role players on this team. I think he meant guys who are just solid in what they are asked to do in the offensive/defensive scheme they play, maybe not star players, but guys who are like glue guys, and are always where you expect them to be. Doesn't mean they can't play special teams, too.

Beasley is more of a specialty player, i would call him. Like you said, can't really help on special teams, but is so important to the offense that his value on this roster is justified that way.
    Cumart21 likes this.
  9. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Well-Known Member

2,996 Messages
    1,047 Likes Received
    I went by the definition of a role player.
  10. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    SO? He was that way from day one frankly. Seasoned has nothing to do with it.
  11. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,824 Messages
    2,673 Likes Received
    I think I know what you're trying to say, but in truth Scandrick is our most athletic corner and it's really not even close.

That's exactly why some of us were a little concerned about Claiborne from the start.
  12. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    You mean, "a player who plays a role"?
  13. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

2,034 Messages
    494 Likes Received
    Perhaps -- I'm guessing that's what the staff had in mind when we got J.C. Copeland. We'll see whether he pans out or not.
  14. Next Years Champ

Next Years Champ Active Member

489 Messages
    176 Likes Received
    I think until we go back to having a FB blocking for the halfback at the point of attack..

..we will continue to not be dominant running the ball.

If you ask me, its interesting lately to hear the talk about the team keeping one this year.

I think they need it even with the improved OL.
  15. 802dave

802dave Member

288 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If you have the horses up front, everything starts working better. You then add a great lead blocker like Moose and everything starts working great. Is Copeland their Moose is the question. And can they stay healthy.....
  16. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

2,034 Messages
    494 Likes Received
    Questions abound for sure. They're trying to get Copeland to lose some of that excess weight. It should help his quickness. The competition between he and Clutts should serve to be beneficial for both. Whether the staff opts to use a FB is another question. There's may be an inclination to retain a full complement of RBs this year. That could conceivably impact their decision.
  17. NorTex

NorTex Member

965 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Beasley, Bryant, and Williams all have similar speed. In no particular order here are their 40 times:

4.40, 4.42, 4.45

But without a doubt, Beasley is the quickest of the bunch. The kid can play anywhere and be effective.

FYI: Beasley owns the 4.42 time.
  18. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,656 Messages
    2,029 Likes Received
    Beasely official time is 4.50. His range is 4.42 - 4.59
    4.5 is his time.

Williams' official time is 4.48. His range is 4.4 to 4.58

Harris' official time is 4.51. His range is 4.45 - 4.63

Dez Bryant's official time is 4.52. His range is 4.45 - 4.62
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2014