1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Scout's Notebook: More Red Zone Reps For Witten?

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by jobberone, Jul 27, 2013.

1. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,765 Messages
    3,437 Likes Received
    Scout's Notebook: More Red Zone Reps For Witten?
    Posted 2 hours ago

[IMG] Bryan Broaddus Football Analyst/Scout Follow BryanBroaddus on Twitter All Bryan Broaddus Articles

[IMG]
    Some thoughts from the practice field Saturday here in Oxnard:

• The injury Ben Bass during practice on Friday was not that serious which is outstanding news for group that has received it's share of bad news. It was Bass' left ankle which was the one that he hurt last season and despite feeling pain in it, he didn't hear the pop which he knew was going to land him on the injured reverse. It is no surprise the type of camp that he has had up until this point playing both tackle and end. He is a smart player, that understands how to work against blocks. Look for him back much sooner than later to continue helping this rotation along the line.
    • One of the biggest differences I have noticed with Bill Callahan calling the plays over Jason Garrett is how he has used the tight ends down the middle of the field and how he swings the backs wide in the red zone to create space. Since I started covering this team on the media side, I never could understand why Jason Witten wasn't used more in the red zone to attack defenses up the field. From what I am seen in OTA's, minicamps and now training camps, Witten is getting more opportunities inside and the quarterbacks are taking advantage of the situation. What I have always seen from Witten is his ability to use that big body plus his ability to know how to work himself open in tight quarters. During Friday's practice, Witten went up and nodding to the outside which froze Barry Church in place, then went up past him, Witten was smart enough to stay away from Will Allen on the other side, which gave Romo the perfect amount of space to fit the ball in for the touchdown. When the Red Zone offense struggles, it is never a bad idea to get Jason Witten more involved.
    Continue reading: http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...r-Witten/471da943-0599-4c5c-bbcf-24239a6eed97
    Duane likes this.
  2. jobberone

36,765 Messages
    3,437 Likes Received
    Like the comment about Witten. He has 55 TDs and Gonzales over 100. Interesting disparity while all the other stats are similar when adjusted for seasons played or games.

Bass is showing up which is a good thing. I like the fact Hatcher thinks a lot of him.
  3. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,609 Messages
    5,329 Likes Received
    Ok, I'm missing something. BB isn't going to get play design confused with play calling, so what's he talking about here? How does having Callahan calling plays affect what he's describing here about the routes the TEs and RBs are running?
  4. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,760 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    Seems like the defense has owned the offense all camp, it's nice to hear something positive about the offense
  5. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,459 Messages
    2,153 Likes Received
    Perhaps more about when these things are utilized, not simply that they are utilized.

I dunno, I'm not really sure what you are asking.
  6. jobberone

36,765 Messages
    3,437 Likes Received
    I guess he's just calling plays that calls their numbers.
  7. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    I would assume it means he's calling different types of plays down in the red zone than JG was accustomed to using. Plays that actually make sense, like utilizing your TE's up the middle of the field in short space and having your backs go out in the flats to make the defense account for more possible pass catchers.
  8. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,596 Messages
    724 Likes Received
    Seems like the longest run I remember from Witten came from a pass down the middle.
  9. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,170 Messages
    1,140 Likes Received
    It's all about spacing, isolation and mismatches in the RZ.
  10. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

8,158 Messages
    1,837 Likes Received
    I think he's just saying that, of the plays in the existing playbook, Callahan prefers the ones with those kinds of routes. I bet there are plays in there that never get run, or get run maybe once in a season.
  11. Idgit

29,609 Messages
    5,329 Likes Received
    That's about the only thing that makes sense, I guess.

I think it's more likely that they've collectively designed some new stuff to take advantage of the TEs and the blocking changes, and we'reseeing new plays and not just a difference in calling the old ones.
  12. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,459 Messages
    2,153 Likes Received
    I guess this would be a way in which Garrett could escape blame for his tenure calling plays if the current offense is far more effective in the redzone.

I think it's more likely a different play caller is calling different plays.
  13. Idgit

29,609 Messages
    5,329 Likes Received
    I'm just anxious for tidbits as to the new wrinkles they've been working on. I'd rather believe this is new stuff and not just old stuff now getting used.
  14. jobberone

36,765 Messages
    3,437 Likes Received
    They've had plays like that in the playbook . Jason just didn't call them enough. And trees have multiple routes per play. Calahan is just using those plays and getting them to make their reads differently to exploit the D. That's my guess.
  15. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,532 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    Just for some perspective, Hatcher called Crawford a future Hall of Famer last week. :D
  16. jobberone

36,765 Messages
    3,437 Likes Received
    Hyperbole aside and I remember that comment, he apparently likes them both and that's the point.
  17. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

49,457 Messages
    3,736 Likes Received
    Love the Brandon Magee comments. Still think he makes the final 53.
    jobberone likes this.
  18. jobberone

36,765 Messages
    3,437 Likes Received
    Forgot to mention him. I love the competition at LB; and elsewhere.