1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Scouts talking Mingo- not impressed- could be there for the Cowboys

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RS12, Dec 8, 2012.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,704 Messages
    1,503 Likes Received
    The Sideline View ‏@SidelineFB
    Lande believes Mingo not playing as well as last year and I've heard the exact same thing from regional scout.
    Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

1h James C Wexell ‏@jimwexell
    @SidelineFB I'm sure the dude's being game-planned for. (Damned preposition).
    Expand
    1h The Sideline View ‏@SidelineFB

@jimwexell He has a 1st rounder on the other side and plenty of talent at DT. He's not getting that much extra attention.
    Hide conversation Reply Retweet Favorite More
    8:08 AM - 8 Dec 12 · Details
    Tweet textImage will appear as a link
    1h James C Wexell ‏@jimwexell

@SidelineFB I like Montgomery but Mingo has great burst to the QB and the pop when he gets there. I just assumed 49 made it easier for 99.
    Expand
    1h

The Sideline View ‏@SidelineFB
    Lande believes Mingo not playing as well as last year and I've heard the exact same thing from regional scout.
    Expand
    1h Jeff Risdon ‏@JeffRisdon

@SidelineFB heard the exact same from a scout this week. He was mystified at him as a football player.
    Expand
    1h The Sideline View ‏@SidelineFB

@JeffRisdon He didn't impress me at all vs. Jake Matthews
    Hide conversation Reply Retweet Favorite More
    8:07 AM - 8 Dec 12 · Details
    Tweet textImage will appear as a link
    1h Jeff Risdon ‏@JeffRisdon

@SidelineFB saw LSU in person twice, once w/ AFC North scout, was not impressed other than exactly four plays.
    Expand
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,873 Messages
    1,709 Likes Received
    doesn't impress scouts and you want us to get him?

Which team are you a fan of?
  3. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,704 Messages
    1,503 Likes Received
    Never said I wanted to draft him. Said it looked like he will fall. You know he will wow em at the combine
  4. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,845 Messages
    10,150 Likes Received
    Scouts Inc. just had him included in a Stock Down section. Here's the writeup. There's much more on that page so I don't think this is against the article posting rules here. Much more at the link.

-

Stock down

LSU Barkevious Mingo (Grade: 95)

Mingo has the burst, bend and length NFL teams covet in edge rushers, and he will be a first-round pick if he enters the draft as a non-senior. However, "potential" is often a four-letter word in the NFL, and the fact that Mingo hasn't made more of an impact with his considerable physical tools is reason for concern.

He has only four sacks on the season, and none of the four is particularly impressive. The speed he showed getting to the quarterback against South Carolina and Mississippi State is excellent, but scouts already knew about that part of his game. -- SM

And while Mingo did a nice job getting off blocks to record sacks in the Towson and Texas A&M games, fellow DE Sam Montgomery flushed the quarterback right to Mingo in the Towson game, and Mingo beat a tight end against the Aggies.

Also take into account that in the Towson game, Mingo faced an FCS tackle who lined up at guard last season, a redshirt freshman making his fourth career start in the South Carolina game, and a junior college transfer in the Mississippi State game.

On the flip side, NFL prospects D.J. Fluker of Alabama and Jake Matthews of Texas A&M both got the better of Mingo when matched up against him. Mingo clearly has first-round talent, but his lack of production against top competition could cause him to slide down the board a bit. -- SM

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/blog...2013-nfl-draft-ucla-rb-jonathan-franklin-rise

-

So which do you want? The more productive player with less upside (Sam Montgomery) or the less productive but huge potential player (Barkevious Mingo)?
  5. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,704 Messages
    1,503 Likes Received
    At this point I like both Moore and Montgomery better than him because they get consistent pressure from the strong side. Unless they tank the last 4 games Moore will be gone, Montgomery should be there.
  6. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,647 Messages
    369 Likes Received
    Moore, Jones, and Jordan are the only top prospects I would want as a OLB right now as a 1st round pick.