1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

SDogo Mock V 5.0

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by SDogo, Apr 1, 2012.

1. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    This is V5.0 of V6.0, next to be released the weekend prior to the draft. This is basically a trail run for my final mock. At the end of the breakdown for each round there will be 3 alternate choices listed. My purpose is to start eliminating options and focus in on what I believe are the target players for each round.

Enjoy and as always, I welcome the feed back.

RD 1 #20(from Tennessee):
    Mark Barron | S | Alabama

[youtube]5TnM7CIHATw[/youtube]

Bottom line is Safety has been a pimple on the Cowboys defense since the departure of Darren Woodson. Barron may not be the most dynamic prospect to come out at the position is recent memory but he's top of this class by a wide margin and can do everything asked of him. He proved at his pro day he can move better then most suggested. He's more then a in the box type of safety and fits all the characteristics Jason recently spoke about when asked what he looks for in a player. Barron is battle tested and ready to step into a defense and help from day 1. It would be justifiable to take Barron at 14, he is easily a top 15 prospect on most boards. Dallas gets the added bonus of trading down with Tennessee and getting more picks and still landing a key cog on the new defense.

Alternatives:
    Peter Konz | OC | Wisconsin
    Dre Kirkpatrick | CB | Alabama
    Michael Brockers | DT | LSU

RD 2 #45:
    Devon Still | DT/DE | Penn St

[youtube]dDJFa270SQc[/youtube]

Still is a bit of a curve ball having not appeared in any of mocks until now and no he is not listed with the group of prospects the Cowboys have shown interest in to this point but as explained, that list is never a reflection of the end all. It's also surprising because at #45 it would be a bit of a fall for him but we are starting to see the last minute shuffle in the rankings that happens every year. Still while an amazing athlete has questions that can not be ignored. It's also a heavy class for DT/DE prospects. He is a bit of under achiever and that alone will cause him to slip some but his explosion and ability to make plays in the opponents backfield is undeniable. Can easily slid inside to NT or outside to DE in Ryan's scheme. The intriguing part about Still is he is relatively still raw with room for growth.

Alternatives:
    Kevin Zeitler | OG | Wisconsin
    Billy Winn | DE | Boise State
    Dwayne Allen | TE | Clemson

RD 3 #81:
    Philip Blake | OC | Baylor

[youtube]xbRdk5oMT_k[/youtube]

Many will be turned off by a 26 year old rookie but as we saw last year with fellow Canadian Danny Watkins who went to the Eagles, something can be said for the maturity that comes along with age. Blake is ready to start day 1 and in the grand scheme of things your looking at a player who sign two contracts and still give you 8-10 good years in the NFL. Blake has the versatility to play OG as well as OC and that always appeals to the Cowboys. Blake is very thick bodied but moves well and those guys are always a premium inside.

Alternatives:
    Kyle Wilber | OLB/DE | Wake Forest
    LaMichael James | RB | Oregon
    Ronnell Lewis | OLB | Oklahoma

RD 3 #82 (from Tennessee):
    LaMichael James | RB | Oregon

[youtube]ZQQbLCd6B40[/youtube]

The Cowboys love to take "shots" in round 3 and do so again with James. Yes he has some durability concerns but his knack for finding daylight in the run game or in the return game is undeniable. As we saw last year, you can never have too many weapons in the backfield and while I don't have an issue with Tanner, James is simply the more dynamic weapon and plays a duel role.

Alternatives:
    Kyle Wilber | OLB/DE | Wake Forest
    Casey Hayward | CB | Vanderbilt
    Ronnell Lewis | OLB | Oklahoma

RD 4 #113:
    Cameron Johnson | OLB | Virginia

[youtube]MqiEROuemJc&feature[/youtube]

Johnson is a bit of a unknown and all to his fault. His motor is on again, off again but when motivated can be absolutely dominating. He gets the highest praises from his coaches and team mates and something can be said for that. In the NFL where playing ball is no longer a part time job perhaps the switch will stay on. Will be a very consistent part of any defense but will never be a double digit sack player. Not the sexy kind of pick everyone looks for but is the type of pick teams need to make to complete a roster and have all the aspects needed to compete.

Alternatives:
    Leonard Johnson | CB | Iowa State
    Ryan Broyles | WR | Oklahoma
    Jamell Flemming | DB | Oklahoma

RD 4 #135:
    Jamell Flemming | DB | Oklahoma

[youtube]EpN1pLgWj0E[/youtube]

Simply one of the most complete DB's in this draft whether you place him at Safety or CB. Plays with a chip on his shoulder but has some character concerns. He has a nose for the ball and is relentless in pursuit. He may be a handful for some coaches but would thrive with Ryan's style and benefit from Garrett's demeanor and leadership. Offers a lot of versatility to Dallas and could challenge Scandrick as a #3 in year one or fill in at Safety on a moments notice. Also has the potential to be a nightmare on special teams.

Alternatives:
    Leonard Johnson | CB | Iowa State
    James-Michael Johnson | ILB | Nevada

RD 5 #152:

[youtube]nvUVI6nZvak[/youtube]

Welcome to the Oklahoma portion of the draft. I'm starting to seriously have my doubts Broyles will last past the 4th round and it's possible Dallas could take a chance then. I know how much Garrett likes this kid, similar to Dalton last year and he may push the issue earlier. While undersized, Broyles was one of the most consistent and productive WR's in the NCAA before his injury. He offers some value in the return game but will some day make a exciting slot option as a #3 similar to Wes Welker. With the new rules regarding IR he becomes a much less risky pick teams can afford.

Alternatives:
    Jeff Fuller | WR | Texas A&M
    Tank Carder | OLB/ILB | TCU
    Ron Brooks | CB | LSU

RD 5 #155 (from Tennessee):
    Tank Carder | OLB/ILB | TCU

[youtube]_SjSJfQPcak[/youtube]

An ideal nickle LB, Carder is the blue collar, lunch pail kid Garrett loves and every team needs. While not dynamic in any one aspect he solid in all of them. Can get lost in traffic and might be limited to passing situations. He is a very heady player and ball instincts are off the chart. A poor mans Keith Brooking with more athletic ability. Has the makings to be a special teams ace and excellent roll player.

Alternatives:
    Rhett Ellison | TE | USC
    DeQuan Menzie | SS/CB | Alabama
    Emmanuel Acho | ILB | Texas

RD 6 #186:
    Kevin Koger | TE | Michigan

[youtube]nJBE0Q0SkMY[/youtube]

Large bodied TE who was a fish out of water in Michigan's offense. Has the strength to move defenders in the run game and is a bear to bring down after the catch. Modeled very much like Kellen Davis who the Cowboys went after in Free Agency. Under rated receiver who can find holes in the defense but will not stretch the field. Idea short yardage TE who can block and offer a big target in the pass game.

Alternatives:
    Ronald Leary | OG | Memphis
    Ishmaa'ily Kitchen | NT | Kent State
    Case Keenum | QB | Houston

RD 7 #222:
    Olivier Vernon | OLB | Miami(FL)

[youtube]xNezgFO87Hw[/youtube]

Not much is known about this prospect, he has had his go around with the NCAA and caught up in the mess at Miami(FL). Was really developing as an edge rusher before the wheels came off. He is far from a finished prospect but any team that can harness the ability might have a gem on their hands. I have a little insight into the Cowboys interest in this kid although I'm not sold it's a project Garrett would like to take on. He does have the stamp of approval by someone close to Jason so it's worth keeping an eye on. He did put on a pretty impressive performance at his pro day and will warrant a look even as early as the 6th round.

Alternatives:
    Ronald Leary | OG | Memphis
    David Snow | OG/C | Texas
    Cordarro Law | DE/OLB | Southern Miss

PRIORITY FA PICK:
    Sean Baker | FS | Ball State
    Manase Foketi | OT/OG | Kansas St

Lineup Outlook:

OFFENSE: 25
    QB: Tony Romo, Kyle Orton(FA), Stephen McGee
    RB: Demarco Murray, Felix Jones, LaMichael James(R)
    FB: Lawrence Vickers(FA)
    WR: Miles Austin, Dez Bryant, Andre Holmes, Ryan Broyles(R), Kevin Ogletree, Dwayne Harris
    TE: Jason Witten, John Phillips, Kevin Koger(R)
    OT: Tyron Smith, Doug Free, Jermey Parnell, Levy Adcock(R)
    OG: MacKenzy Bernadeau(FA), Nate Livings(FA), David Arkin, Bill Nagy
    OC: Philip Blake(R)

DEFENSE: 25
    DE: Marcus Spears, Devon Still(R), Jason Hatcher, Sean Lissemore, Kenyon Coleman
    NT: Jay Ratliff, Josh Brent
    OLB: Demarcus Ware, Anthony Spencer, Cam Johnson(R), Victor Butler,
    ILB: Sean Lee, Bruce Carter, Dan Connor(FA), Tank Carder(R)
    CB: Brandon Carr(FA), Mike Jenkins, Orlando Scandrick, Jamell Flemming(R), Mario Butler
    FS: Gerald Sensabaugh, Danny McCray
    SS: Mark Barron(R), Brodney Pool(FA), Barry Church

ST: 3
    K: Dan Bailey
    P: Chris Jones
    H: Kyle Orton

KR: LaMichael James(R), Dwayne Harris, Felix Jones
    PR: Ryan Broyles(R), Dez Bryant

LS: L.P. Ladouceur
  2. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,578 Messages
    532 Likes Received
    Good job Sdogo. Gotta say, this is probably the best draft I've seen thus far.

Barron, at 20, is good for me. I don't think there's many 'elite' players for us at 14, so dropping down and getting one of our top targets is a good scenario.

Love taking a shot at Still in the second. Of all the mock drafts on this site, that would be my favourite second rounder.

Love Broyles. This team needs a guy like him and he would be so great for Romo to have.

Fleming, Johnson, Carder, Koger, Blake, James. These are all excellent fits on the team and/or good investments

Absolutely love it.
  3. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,865 Messages
    195 Likes Received
    I hope we don't draft Baron. If we traded down to 20, I'd rather take Konz, especially if Still were there, which I doubt.
  4. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,432 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    This is tremendous.
  5. cbow44

cbow44 Member

594 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Wouldnt have any problems with this draft. Just have one question. how did Levy Adcock get on the roster. Just kidding Sdogo, as usualy good stuff.
  6. CowboyChris

CowboyChris Well-Known Member

2,675 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    SDogo can you do your mock and make your picks without the trade down in the first round, i mean we havent traded down that i know of.
  7. bigE79

bigE79 Active Member

2,414 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Outstanding SDogo...love the PSU de at #2
  8. dantheman41

dantheman41 Active Member

711 Messages
    116 Likes Received
    What do u think of Mosleys recent article that cowboys officials have told him Barron is not a target?
  9. bigE79

bigE79 Active Member

2,414 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That means he IS the target:laugh2:
  10. Western

Western Active Member

112 Messages
    60 Likes Received
    Excellent.
    But, I do not see Barron getting past the Jets at 16.
    They need a safety as well (Rex wants his "Ed Reed").

If Dallas ranks Barron as equal to Konz, Dre, or Brockers, then make the trade, but Barron to the Jets at 16 is highly realistic.
    In fact, they may even trade up ahead of Dallas to get Barron.
  11. fffiasco

fffiasco Member

733 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    i dont know much about barron but people on the zone have compared him to roy31. Are these comparisons accurate? if not... who would you compare barron too? Also, does gerald move to FS if we pick Barron?
  12. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    CRAP! lmao! :lmao:
  13. Yuma Cactus

Yuma Cactus Active Member

669 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    I would probably have a hard time containing myself if this was the 'Boys actual draft.
    I really like Barron and believe he is an outstanding S and can play either SS or FS.
    Devon Still is a very good football player and for some reason has fallen in the eyes of many pundits since the season has ended. He would get plenty of snaps as a rookie in Rob's D.
    Blake would surely come in and compete for the starting C job. I believe Brewster C Ohio St would be available at this pick and would take the 4 yr Big 10 starter over Blake.
    I like the RB's on the roster but James is a "play" waiting to happen.
    Can't see Cam Johnson lasting this long, he may go as high as the 2nd. Would be a steal in the 4th.
    Fleming is surely a football player and would most likely make the roster as a ST'er.
    If you look up "Slot Receiver" in the dictionary there would be a picture of Broyles.
    ILB would be a real strength for this team with Carder on the roster.
  14. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I'm out of TP, if he would put that on paper it would solve that problem.
  15. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,374 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Love it, SDogo.

You really got guys who were values at their positions and who also filled a need.

I don't know if Still falls to 45, but if he does, he's worth the risk-reward at that spot.

I think L James could be our Sproles. Nice hands out of the backfield, which Garrett loves, and he takes care of our return game. Plus, if Felix is gone after next season, we already have our change of pace back on the roster.
  16. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    We have not drafted anyone I know of either........that's why it's a projection.

Just giving you a hard time.

Pretty simple.

Just put Ingram at 14, take out Johnson in Round 4 and Carder in Round 5.

I might move Carder to round 6 in place of Koger, I reached in the 5th because i know the Cowboys interest.
  17. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,929 Messages
    538 Likes Received
    Not crazy about Barron, but wouldn't hate the pick. The James pick is a bit of a waste to me thlugh. He's going to be a poor man's version of Felix, doesn't make sense when we already have the real thing. Pretty much the rest of the draft though.
  18. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,374 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I think Barron to Philly is a possibility as well, especially if they land D Bell via FA at OT given Peter's injury.
  19. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    It's a strong possibility, I guess a lot of it would depend on how equal the value is between Konz, Barron and say Brockers in a trade down scenario for Dallas. Are they willing to take that risk?
  20. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Barron can go anywhere from 14 to 32. He's a much better prospect then people want to give him credit for and a team needing a safety is going to take him. It's why I said it can be justified taking him at 14.