1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Seahawks make Earl Thomas NFL's highest-paid safety

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by joseephuss, Apr 28, 2014.

1. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,246 Messages
    1,178 Likes Received
  2. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,173 Messages
    2,800 Likes Received
    The continuing fall of the Seahawks.

Not a nose-dive mind you. And it's still a team with lots of talent.

But's it's not as talented as before and the young guys are starting to get paid big-bucks. I think it's only natural, winning a SB combined with getting a big-time contract will cause some not to have as much drive as they did last season.

Bennett, Thomas, Sherman (very soon) and Wilson (soon)... Lots of salary cap devoted to those 4.
    OhSnap likes this.
  3. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,246 Messages
    1,178 Likes Received
    I think the drop off will begin at the running back position. Lynch is entering his 8th season. That is when most RBs start the downward cycle in their careers. They are still in good shape for the next year or so, but after that things will start getting tough for them.
    OhSnap likes this.
  4. Szczepanik

Szczepanik Well-Known Member

948 Messages
    501 Likes Received
    Same thing with the Niners as soon as Colin gets paid.

At least the Seahawks didnt overpay for underwhelming talent..ala Flacco. :)
  5. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,591 Messages
    721 Likes Received
    Seems like a really good contract for a guy thats only 24.
  6. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,591 Messages
    721 Likes Received
    They'll probably play their butts off for another year or two just to deny Harblow then when he leaves the 9ers it'll be mission accomplished and they'll drop off expecting a pass that year.
  7. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

12,595 Messages
    532 Likes Received
    The Seahawks could easily have 2-3 more years of dominance ahead of them...
    65fastback2plus2 and REDVOLUTION like this.
  8. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

23,891 Messages
    702 Likes Received
    Seriously.

The rest is wishful thinking.
  9. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

3,158 Messages
    602 Likes Received
    About to make Sherman the highest paid corner too.
  10. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,342 Messages
    960 Likes Received
    They've still got a window but they're going to start piling up the big contracts now and then you'll see how hard it is for a team to have that kind of rotation and depth when they're actually paying the stars star money.
  11. DanteEXT

DanteEXT Well-Known Member

1,806 Messages
    166 Likes Received
    I wonder if reality has started to hit for those Seahawks fans that were adamant that everyone on the team was willing to take a hometown discount to keep the band together?
  12. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,305 Messages
    2,727 Likes Received
    That's honestly not that bad of a contract.
  13. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    They're in great cap shape. They've been managing the cap as good as any team out there.

They often structure contracts differently than the traditional backloaded fashion and I think it gives them a number of advantages, while also creating a play-for-pay type system because they usually have modest signing bonuses so they can ditch bad contracts sooner.

I'm not sure if many other teams structure contracts similar to Seattle because I haven't looked but I wouldn't be shocked if they start. Tampa does some unique things with contracts, I know that much.

Consider this.

Looking at Bennett, Sherman, and Thomas. Next year each of their cap charges increases a good amount. The total cap space taken by those 3 is about $27.6M. From there, the cap charges for those three gradually increases until it maxes out at $33.5M in 2017.

They currently have $109M committed to the 2015 salary cap, which puts them somewhere in the range of maybe $25M to $30M under. From 2015 to 2016 the total for those three guys increases $4M, and from 2016 to 2017 it increases $2M. The salary cap itself is projected to increase possibly more than 3X the amount of that $6M overall increase from 2015 to 2017.

But here's the kicker. Even though they just gave out $40M, $25M, and $16M in guarantees for a total of $81M, the could cut all three of those guys before hitting that high point of $33.5M and only have a little over $15.2M in dead money, $9.4M of which is Sherman. That would avoid $18M in cap charges just three seasons after signing those guys.

Anyone waiting for Seattle to lose all their talent because they can't afford to pay them might be waiting a while. They're presently $10M under so they'll likely carry over about $5M to next season. They could free up another $10.5M by releasing Zach Miller and Marshawn if he slows down this year. Start next year at like $40M under the cap and none of the big contracts they signed this year have substantial increases moving forward? Pretty crazy, really.
  14. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,342 Messages
    960 Likes Received
    They've managed the cap great because they're just now having to start paying guys serious money like they just gave Sherman and Thomas and they're about to have to give Wilson.

This is a completely different ball game for them compared to what they were paying in rookie deals and guys who hadn't really done a lot prior to being in Seattle. Their depth and rotations are going to be eaten away at just like they have been with every other team out there whose ever had to pay big time stars big time star money.