1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Seahawks up 47-17 fake punt

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Muhast, Dec 16, 2012.

1. coogrfan

coogrfan Well-Known Member

1,558 Messages
    236 Likes Received
    Running a fake punt up 30 in the 4th qtr is "what you're supposed to do"? Really?

At best it's unprofessional. At worst it's incredibly stupid, if for no other reason than (1) revealing a trick play when you don't need to is foolish; and (2) Carroll was fairly begging someone on the Bills to take a cheap shot at one of his own guys.
  2. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,944 Messages
    1,390 Likes Received
    It's hilarious. People saying you're supposed to teach your kids sportsmanship and not doing things like this but then saying "Oh but when you get older you definately forget everything we taught you and you act like a giant ******bag."

lol.

And people wonder why the youth of today grows up to be such useless bums.
  3. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,992 Messages
    7,733 Likes Received
    I don't follow. You do what it takes to put up points. That's the whole reason why you have your offense on the field. I don't understand why you'd expect them to not use trick plays at certain points of the game. That's sort of the point, to use them when you think they'll likely be effective because they're unexpected.

And the sportsmanship argument is absolutely ridiculous in my book. Play within the rules, don't try to hurt players on purpose, play a clean game, and try to win at all costs. That's sportsmanship. *Not* scoring points for an unwritten rule when it's actually your job to do so is *not* sportsmanship. That's taking it easy on the other guy because you feel bad for them. It's insulting and a lot worse in my book.

It happened to me in high school a lot, because our team wasn't very good, and it always sent me into a headhunting rage. All within the guidelines of the rules, of course, because I'm a stickler for good sportsmanship.
  4. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,626 Messages
    412 Likes Received
    that is a silly response
  5. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,626 Messages
    412 Likes Received
    you sound like the instructor in Karate Kid (the one in China)
  6. Idgit

31,992 Messages
    7,733 Likes Received
    When people say this, I always think: they don't realize that football is just a game, after all.
  7. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,491 Messages
    193 Likes Received

bingo.

I didn't complain about them passing the ball with a lead. I didn't complain about them scoring with a big lead. I complained about the fake punt.

Imagine if they would have ran an onside kick at that point.

I am not asking you to just fall down on an INT instead of running it back for a pick 6. But fake punting with a 30 pt lead in the 4th quarter is distasteful.
  8. Diogenes

Diogenes Active Member

1,200 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Jimmy Johnson LOLs at this thread.
  9. BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys Well-Known Member

1,049 Messages
    193 Likes Received
    {In my best dull, monotone voice} Running up the score and accusations of being a cheater....does that sound like anyone else, say back in 2007? ;) :D
  10. ajk23az

ajk23az Through Pain Comes Clarity

7,670 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    It's also the players job.

That's like saying that Starbucks should let their competitors get closer because they are dominating the market by too wide of a margin..if you don't like it, do something about it.

Look at SNF, 49ers up 28 points...that lead was erased in 1 quarter. No wonder why Belichick runs the score up. Never take anything for granted.
  11. Idgit

31,992 Messages
    7,733 Likes Received
    Good point. Bottom line it, it's not personal. You play to win the game. You play to win the game. Hello? That's the great thing about sports. You play to win. :)
  12. ApolytonGP

ApolytonGP Member

74 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Supposedly, the play was called by the punt team protector. Just based on their training and the situation. Just executing.
  13. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    It was a cheesy move by Carroll.
  14. coogrfan

coogrfan Well-Known Member

1,558 Messages
    236 Likes Received
    Buffalo is not New England; Ryan Fitzpatrick is not Tom Brady. The fake occured early in the 4th with Seattle up 47-17. To claim the final outcome of the game was even remotely in doubt at that point is disingenuous.

Running a fake punt in that situation wasn't "playing to win". Even Pete Carroll is smart enough to realize that, hence his claim after that fact that he regretted not calling it off.