1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Sean Lee: Pieces in place for 4-3 move

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jan 16, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,152 Messages
    6,948 Likes Received
    Jan 16
    9:12
    AM CT

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

Linebacker Sean Lee is right in the middle of that process.

“I owe so much to Rob because he made be a better football player,” Lee said. “I learned so much from him about all aspects of football, but it’s one of those deals that the Cowboys wanted to move in a different direction defensively and wanted to move from a 3-4 to a 4-3 and we brought in a great guy in Coach Kiffin to learn from.”

Lee has yet to meet Kiffin but is anxious to learn the 4-3 and the new responsibilities that will come his way. Kiffin will be Lee’s third defensive coordinator in four years, following Wade Phillips and Ryan.

“As soon as we can get in there and watch film and start learning the defense I think there are a lot of guys, who want to get a jumpstart so they can come into the (organized team activities), feeling confident in trying to perfect this defense,” Lee said.

“I don’t think it’s as big a move as people think,” Lee said. “We’ve played 4-3 in different situations, even with Coach Phillips and the way the defensive line lined up. There were aspects of the 4-3 there. Now there’s obviously going to be a learning curve and it’s going to be tough and it’s going to take some work, but I think we have the guys that are athletic enough and versatile enough to be able to transition to this 4-3.”

Read more: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4704813/sean-lee-pieces-in-place-for-4-3-move
  2. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,141 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    I agree... The Cowboys have some really nice pieces in place to play Kiffin's style of 4-3.
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,479 Messages
    3,799 Likes Received
    Really glad we have Lee. The guy will be at Valley Ranch learning and picking Kiffin brain on this defense and will be up to speed on the system before we hit mini camp and Lee will be helping teammates grasp this defense as well. The guy is like having a player/coach.
  4. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Lee will probably be teaching this defense by TC. :laugh1:
  5. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    And Sean Lee's statement about Jason Garrett's greatness mean what after his comments about Rob Ryan, the same guy the Garrett homers like to bash as one of the reasons for Garrett's failures?
  6. Doomsday101

78,479 Messages
    3,799 Likes Received
    I'm sure Lee did learn things from Rob and have no problem with him being greatful. Things did not work out and Rob is gone that is life in the NFL.

I'm sure he like Garrett as well and if he and others do and would like to see Garrett keep his job they may want to go out there and make more plays to win more games.
  7. garrett316

garrett316 5 against 1 Zone Supporter

2,608 Messages
    332 Likes Received
    Wonder if 2013 is the last year we have Sean Lee. I think his contract is up after this year. Jerry usually doesnt pay ILBs
  8. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,507 Messages
    2,387 Likes Received
    Lee really is a great leader.

We're lucky to have ths guy.
  9. Doomsday101

78,479 Messages
    3,799 Likes Received
    Brady James was here for 9 years.
  10. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,385 Messages
    645 Likes Received
    But no one was kicking in the door to try and steal him away. Every team in the league would snatch Lee up if he was available.

Still doubt Jerry will let him walk
  11. Doomsday101

78,479 Messages
    3,799 Likes Received
    I doubt they would let him walk as well. I don't think Jerry has a hard time paying players.
  12. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

7,044 Messages
    650 Likes Received
    Agreed.
  13. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

1,403 Messages
    536 Likes Received
    I don't remember the rules on off-season activity/study/working out. Are the players free to spend as much time working with coaches in the film room, learning without actually practicing as much as they want?
  14. Supercowboy1986

Supercowboy1986 Well-Known Member

1,037 Messages
    171 Likes Received
    that doesn't make any sense. JJ is constantly being critized for doing the opposite.
  15. 187beatdown

187beatdown Lack of Big Plays

4,065 Messages
    664 Likes Received
    Lee is amazing. I just love everything about him.

Really hope he can stay on the field next year because he's special.
  16. cannonball44

cannonball44 Stephen Peterman's Campaign Manager

567 Messages
    100 Likes Received
    thank God for Sean Lee
  17. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,942 Messages
    7,690 Likes Received
    There's no chance we don't pay the guy just because of the position he plays. His next contract will be interesting, though, if his injury history doesn't change. He's an elite caliber player who isn't on the field enough. Tough call.
  18. Doomsday101

78,479 Messages
    3,799 Likes Received
    Players can go in on their own the rules pretain to organized work. If Lee wants to go to Valley Ranch and talk with Kiffin about the defense and study film he can do that.
  19. Stryker44

Stryker44 Active Member

942 Messages
    77 Likes Received
    Well, of course he's going to say this as the MLB of the new defense. Getting the team to prove it is another matter.
  20. Prossman

Prossman Active Member

946 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    Its not a complex system to learn, and actually a walk in the park compared to Robs. One of the advantage of it is players can learn it quickly and do allot more playing and allot less thinking.