1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Sean Payton facing the music with the media...

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by wittenacious, Mar 27, 2012.

1. wittenacious

wittenacious Active Member

2,805 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    ... and I can't help but like and respect the way he's handling himself in all the interviews so far. Mistakes and all, he comes across as a well-spoken, forthright, credible man and NFL Head Coach. Not saying he has been, or is, an angel ... he's certainly being dressed down for falling short of that mark.

Guess I'm just saying, the man got his t*t caught in a major wringer and he's standing tall, not sidestepping the barrage of direct questions, taking the monster hit Goodell applied, and still showing some chutzpah ... bowed but unbroken chutzpah.

Felt the need to give the guy an attaboy, screw-up though he's definitely responsible for, that's all. Eh, maybe I'm just an old softy.
  2. Gibby!

Gibby! Pom Pom Waving Shill

1,500 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    I haven't listened to any of the interviews but from what I have heard, he's doing the right thing. He knew about it and helped with the cover up. The harder he falls on his sword right now the better looking hes going to come out of this.
  3. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,830 Messages
    285 Likes Received
    He couldnt be handling it better. Props to him.
  4. Fla Cowpoke

Fla Cowpoke Well-Known Member

2,335 Messages
    362 Likes Received
    I thought I heard he was going to appeal it. Not sure if that would change anyone's position about whether he is facing the music or not. It would be funny if he appealed and was given a longer suspension.

He always has struck me as Parcells Jr....kind of a wise guy. I even think as he ages he is looking like Parcells.
  5. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hahaha. He'd be waisting his time. The league knew about it..told him to stop...but in continued anyways. I think the penalty is a little harsh, but at the same time I don't feel sorry for Payton at all. He knew what he was doing.
  6. cajuncocoa

cajuncocoa Bleeding silver and blue Zone Supporter

2,355 Messages
    329 Likes Received
    Local sports reports indicate he will appeal it.
  7. hsfolk

hsfolk Member

360 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    They can't give him a longer suspension just because of an appeal & I don't think he's going to appeal the current year suspension anyway since it would come back to Goodell
  8. wittenacious

2,805 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Guess I had a moment of compassion earlier today, just because I thought he was being pounded by the media and was at least acting in a more contrite and professional way than most I've ever seen, when caught with their hand in the proverbial cookie jar.

If Payton's gonna go the appeal route, then breaking down what Rynie said, above:

a) He'd be wasting his time.
    b) The league knew about it ... told him to stop ... but it continued anyways.
    c) I think the penalty is a little harsh, but at the same time I don't feel sorry for Payton at all.
    d) He knew what he was doing.

All points well made and I'd have to agree. I won't feel bad for him in the least if he tries to fight his suspension ... not like I did when thinking he was taking his medicine straight up, with no intention of challenging Goodell's ruling.
  9. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,251 Messages
    1,978 Likes Received
    Just a procedural move basically.

He knows his chances are slim but he has what, 500K on the line for each week?

You telling me you wouldn't appeal in hopes of getting any time back?

As far as the thread goes, I won't applaud the guy for owning up. Just not gonna do it when everything was so deliberate. He has no other option but to just accept his fate.
  10. hsfolk

hsfolk Member

360 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    Saints HC job is going to be either Parcells or Aaron Kromer (Saints o-line coach)
  11. cajuncocoa

2,355 Messages
    329 Likes Received
    Local sports reporter just said she was impressed with SP's "conciliatory" attitude in his press conference today...as a result she believes SP appeals his suspension and "wouldn't be surprised" if Goodell knocks "several weeks" off.
  12. cajuncocoa

2,355 Messages
    329 Likes Received
    Mark my word....when it's all said and done, the punishment we got for overspending in an uncapped year will end up being worse than the Saints wind up with for the bounties.
  13. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,394 Messages
    382 Likes Received
    It's all a bunch of crap what they did to Payton, Goodell is the real hoodlum.
  14. Hoofbite

32,251 Messages
    1,978 Likes Received
    Doubtful.

They lost two 2nd round picks.

You can always make cap room, you can't just make 2nd round draft picks come out of nowhere.
  15. Chopzley

Chopzley Member

64 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    :bow: This!!!
  16. hsfolk

hsfolk Member

360 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    I'm shocked Goodell only took 2 second round picks and not a first round pick as well
  17. Hoofbite

32,251 Messages
    1,978 Likes Received
    I'm satisfied with 2 seconds.

I think they would have lost their 1st if they had one this year but 2 second rounders is good, IMO.
  18. wittenacious

2,805 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    All NO has to do is follow what Dallas did in the 2009 Draft to get the most out of their 3rd Round pick thru whatever they have left at their disposal. The blueprint for success has been laid. bwahhhaaahhaaaha!!!
    Sorry. I kid to try to numb the painful memory. :laugh2:
  19. hsfolk

hsfolk Member

360 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    Saints already do better with later round picks (Colston, Evans, Nicks, Stief)
  20. wittenacious

2,805 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    My post was tongue in cheek sarcasm, poking fun at how bad Dallas' 2009 Draft was. The Cowboys drafted 12 players, Rounds 3 thru 7, referred to as the "Dirty Dozen" by many. As of now, we only have 4 of those players still on the team: QB Stephen McGee; LB Victor Butler; TE John Phillips; WR Manny Johnson, on the PS. All are entering their 4th NFL season and still not close to being starters.

Big bust of a Draft, by all accounts. So, no, New Orleans should not follow that draft blueprint. :)