1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Sean Salisbury: Parcells loyal to his old players to a fault

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by TruBlueCowboy, Sep 8, 2005.

1. TruBlueCowboy

TruBlueCowboy New Member

7,301 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I was watching Quite Frankly on ESPN the other day and they had their NFL preview. Sean Salisbury called Bill Parcells a great coach, and he wasn't bashing him, but he did say if there was one bad thing he had to point out, it was that Parcells is loyal to his former players to a fault.

He didn't say who he was talking about. Do you think he was only referring to Vinny? Do you think some of the current players on the roster don't deserve their starting positions? There really weren't any better options than Drew Bledsoe at QB this year, and Crayton and Price don't strike me as guys who have done anything recently to move in front of Key and Glenn on the depth charts. (Although Crayton may one day do it.) Richie Anderson did pretty well in our offense. Ryan Young was a mistake, but Parcells didn't know his body was going to fall apart. Ferguson is a huge signing, regardless of whether or not he played for Parcells. Some of the lesser known fellas like Ogbogu never had huge playing minutes.

Do you think Parcells' loyalty to his former players is so large that it creates a disadvantage? Both Quincy Morgan and Antonio Bryant have now made comments on Parcells and his "hidden agenda" although you could easily dismiss those complaints because of Morgan's butterfingers and Bryant's attitude.
  2. CactusCowboy

CactusCowboy Benched

1,861 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't buy it. Look who he has brought in, most have helped the team. This year alone, Ferguson and Glenn will help a lot. Vinny was the best we could get last year and he did ok. Nothing wrong with bringing in quality players you know and trust.
  3. Everlastingxxx

Everlastingxxx All Star

7,211 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    Keyshawn falls into that catagory.
  4. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

73,858 Messages
    976 Likes Received
    Keyshawn does exactly what he is being paid to do. Dallas did not get him to be a deep threat they got him because they wanted a reliable possession receiver and that is exactly what he does.
  5. CactusCowboy

CactusCowboy Benched

1,861 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Nobodys talking about Key this preseason. I bet he shows up big time when the lights are on!
  6. Cowboy from New York

Cowboy from New York Active Member

1,648 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    If there is any truth to it, I believe Vinny is a perfect example. This is not to root for Henson but even though we were done the last few games of the year last season, Parcells stuck with Vinny and there was no reason to do that. If you remember some of his press conferences from last season Parcells time and time again kept making excuses for all of Vinny's mistakes. Granted, all of Vinny's ints were not his fault but he did throw some ones which were utterly ridiculous and BP would come out and talk about the WR cutting off his route or a blocking scheme failure, it was never the QBs fault.
    Also, I think he would have held on to Ritchie Anderson too long if Ritchie hadnt pissed Jerry off by delaying his surgery decision to so late in the offseason.
  7. LaTunaNostra

LaTunaNostra He Made the Difference

14,987 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If Tuna had kept around Murrell, Young, Ward, etc, I'd say there was a problem.

The Keyshawn thing was merely that no one else could do what he does. AB had every opportunity to prove something, and did not. Terry is still the best receiver on the roster. Morgan got beat out fair and square, not by one of 'Bill's guys', but by Patrick

If Salisbury has Bryant whispering in one ear and Morgan in the other, he'll only get as spacy as they are.

Fact is, Bill rewards players who achieve. Witness his putting Price behind Key, and not Terry, where most folks see Peerless more suited. But Bill won't take from Patrick what he has earned....the starting flanker slot IF Terry gets hurt.

Morgan and AB -sour grapes from a couple of losers.
  8. Everlastingxxx

Everlastingxxx All Star

7,211 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    Possession receiver? We sure had a lot of 3 and outs in preseason. Where has Keyshawn been? If i was a QB, i’d look to Glenn, Witten, Crayton and Julius before looking to ”can’t get seperation” Keyshawn. He is decent, but not a threat anymore and i think he is holding back the offense.
  9. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,270 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    There is not question Parcells relies on his ex-players more than any coach in the HISTORY of the game...Monday Night Football showed a graphic confirming that during the Seattle game.

I think Bryant was pretty much a mental case but things went over the top when Keyshawn showed up...

I think Vinny as a starter, or the only "viable" option to Quincy Carter was a bad decision.

Dedric Ward...and others are also examples of Parcells using his past players, maybe to a fault.

He is also constantly referencing past players...even yesterday bringing up Megett's name again...

That said, the roster he inherited was exactly a star-studded one...He's not a young man so I'm sure he wants to maximize his chance to win ASAP...I think he made a few mistakes last year regarding his old players...

BUT...this season, we've got a young roster..and a lot of new guys.

Good sign.
  10. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

73,858 Messages
    976 Likes Received
    I don't care about Pre-season what he does in the reg season is all that matter. No team ever made it to the playoffs based on pre-season performance. If Key does not get the job done I'm more than willing to stand up and agree that Keys days are done but right now there is no reason to think he can't get the job done.
  11. LaTunaNostra

14,987 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If by this time, it's not evident that Drew Henson was NOT READY TO PLAY, then I don't know what it will take.

And by all means, let's agree that Bill WOULD have held on to Richie too long, if he had only had the chance. :rolleyes:

He loved Ogbogu, who he feels can still play, but Og is gone. Bill has offed everything single one of his 'guys' who hasn't performed, and not one stuck around a day longer than he should have.

But still the cries of favoritism will remain, when Tuna's ONLY agenda EVER, has been about winning.
  12. TruBlueCowboy

TruBlueCowboy New Member

7,301 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree on Murrell and Ward. Those were signings that didn't make much sense. I guess if you look at it from Parcells perspective, at that point in the season, all you're going to bring in is scrubs, so might as well bring in your scrub that ya know the best.
  13. ctalker

ctalker Member

407 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'd say by looking at last years mess jokingly called the Jets Southwest would verify Seans statement.
  14. LaTunaNostra

14,987 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Key did his job, and did it well in the absence of Glenn.

Vinny was forced into starting by the issues of a 'home grown' product, and had he had something more than Eddie George while Julius was out, and something more than Quincy Morgan while Terry was out, and had he had a defense that did not give up over 400 points, maybe "Jets Southwest" could have gotten it done.

The personnel issues last year are on Bill and Jerry. They made some brutally BAD decisions.

But I daresay Key and Vinny were two of the more successful ones...at least alongside the landmark signings of Eddie and Dat Dud. :rolleyes:
  15. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    For the record

Dedric Ward was around top 10 in Punt returns
  16. Cowboy from New York

Cowboy from New York Active Member

1,648 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Just to be clear, Bledsoe is the right coice to be our qb and Romo clearly beat out Henson to be #2. My point was our season had already swirled the toilet bowl and will still saw Vinny trotting out there and still saw Vinny (and the rest of the team to be fair to Vinny) making mistakes. Its a new year now and I still do not see the logic in that. When team's seasons are over they often turn to the youngsters to give them experience. I just don't see what would have been the negative to play Henson the end of last season. We would have lost by more, the kid might have shown something or he might have been like Hutchinson in chicago and shown no progress, in that case we would have known something.
    As far as Ritchie, I believe BP clearly showed a fondness for him and if he had been around maybe we don't take a Barber in round 4 but go another way. Not a big deal this year but A-train will be gone next year and Barber will either be the backup or possibly Thompson will be and Barber can be moved.
    JMO, LaTuna.
  17. DLCassidy

DLCassidy Active Member

2,390 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Why anyone cares what Salisbury steak thinks about anything is beyond me.
  18. DBoys

DBoys New Member

4,713 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Couldn't of said it better myself!

:hammer:
  19. LaTunaNostra

14,987 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    JMO, but holding anything against anyone who hasn't done it yet is something I've found not worth the effort. Richie was probably Bill's BEST signing, unless we've forgotten what he did for the O in 03 and in 04. Let's see how good the receiving out of the backfield is w/o him. He was also the epitome of why Bill brings his boys in - he taught, tutored, mentored, supported all down the line.

Bill had every reason to feel a fondness for that man. I should think after what he did here those two years, everyone else would too.

JMO

Later
  20. Waffle

Waffle Not Just For Breakfast Anymore

3,379 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Perfectly said!