Seeing a bald eagle

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by MichaelWinicki, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Well-Known Member

1,521 Messages
    2,460 Likes Received
    Yes and thanks.

Even when most people see them, they're generally perched or flying from place to place.

What's really incredible is to watch them chase each other over some food one of them might have, because the aerial acrobatics they perform are awesome. They change directions so abruptly, they're hard to follow and when one of them drops their food, its not uncommon to see another snatch the food right out of the sky as it falls. Very cool!

One of my favorite photographs is the fourth one where the two eagles are flying straight up. The one on the bottom is reaching trying to steal the fish from the one on the top who's screaming. Got extremely lucky on that one.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    Melonfeud, Trouty and kimrose like this.
  2. haleyrules

haleyrules Well-Known Member

9,714 Messages
    25,530 Likes Received
    Yeah, l saw many around the fish plant in Dutch Harbor. Big and beautiful.

dallasdave and Ranching like this.
  3. Slammed0

Slammed0 Well-Known Member

1,030 Messages
    1,206 Likes Received
    Living in Boise/the NW you get to run into a Bald Eagle from time to time. In fact, the Birds of Prey (an international non-profit organization founded in 1970 that conserves endangered raptors around the world) is located in S. Boise. My street dead ends into a field the city has grown around and at the end is a fairly tall dead tree. There are always giant hawks and such hanging out in that tree. I think they love the field there with the mice. When we got our puppy several years ago we were worried about them finding him running around the yard. haha You never know!

Runwildboys and Trouty like this.
  4. Runwildboys

Runwildboys Well-Known Member

500 Messages
    428 Likes Received
    I went through the same thing when my dog was a pup. Used to have a red tailed hawk hanging out in the trees in my back yard, so I never left him alone until he was about 6 months.

Slammed0, kimrose and Trouty like this.
  5. daboyzruleperiod

daboyzruleperiod Saved Zone Supporter

682 Messages
    1,252 Likes Received
    Oh stop that. We all know ya can't tell the difference between Eagles & Seagulls. [​IMG]

6. daboyzruleperiod

daboyzruleperiod Saved Zone Supporter

682 Messages
    1,252 Likes Received
    Truly Amazing!

7. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member

36,171 Messages
    18,397 Likes Received
    :laugh::huh::laugh:

8. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

6,433 Messages
    5,711 Likes Received
    Ranching and Trouty like this.
  9. Trouty

Trouty Dakistani Zone Supporter

16,184 Messages
    39,364 Likes Received
  10. Denim Chicken

6,433 Messages
    5,711 Likes Received
    Tell me about it. They had a GPS tracker on this one for a while, but it fell off and they lost it for a few years. Too bad to rediscover him in this condition.

daboyzruleperiod, Ranching and Trouty like this.
  11. Trouty

Trouty Dakistani Zone Supporter

16,184 Messages
    39,364 Likes Received
    That piece of filth wasn't caught, either.

I would have put 20 pieces of buckshot into him if I was out there and saw that. I value a beautiful, majestic American bird over that turd.

12. 65fastback2plus2

65fastback2plus2 Well-Known Member

5,528 Messages
    4,892 Likes Received
  13. Denim Chicken

6,433 Messages
    5,711 Likes Received
    It is as a symbol hence the Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act

Ranching and Trouty like this.
  14. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Well-Known Member

1,521 Messages
    2,460 Likes Received
    True in one sense, and false in others. Yet, what's the point of killing one?

Melonfeud, Ranching and Trouty like this.
  15. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

7,627 Messages
    2,314 Likes Received
    about the only good thing about living in Maryland is the fact I can see the bird that symbolizes our country about 10 times a year.

Melonfeud, Ranching and Trouty like this.
  16. 65fastback2plus2

65fastback2plus2 Well-Known Member

5,528 Messages
    4,892 Likes Received
    Oh I agree there was no sense for sure. But I mean, Ben Franklin wanted the turkey as the national bird. Can you imagine? Shew.

Just a bird. Still a shame to kill one needlessly though.

Runwildboys, Melonfeud and Ranching like this.
  17. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

3,749 Messages
    2,334 Likes Received
    Over the last decade or so we have had a few Bald Eagles here in Southeast Texas. There were at least two near our camp on Toledo Bend reservoir for which we were able to track down their nest and one here in the Golden Triangle area that I have heard about. Unfortunately one of the ones on Toledo Bend built its nest in a dead tree that eventually the top fell out of it.

18. haleyrules

haleyrules Well-Known Member

9,714 Messages
    25,530 Likes Received
    Same thing...one has a white head and the other has a white body....

Trouty, Melonfeud and Ranching like this.
  19. Melonfeud

Melonfeud Well-Known Member

2,499 Messages
    3,124 Likes Received
    I've been out in the woods hunting and a huge great horned owl swooped in overhead and tried to bomb the crouch/ fork of a giant white oak tree about 20'+ above ground with the hind legs and tail of a fox squirrel (stashing it for later) well it didn't stick and fell/ rolled down almost at my feet,,,LOL!
    Back in 98 or 99 there were reports on the local news(Tucson) of a pair of bald eagle sightings, about two weeks later I look up in the sky one morning unlocking my truck to head in to work and one of them was circling right overhead, it was pretty cool,later on it was reported they'd both been electrocuted building a nest I believe

Trouty and Ranching like this.
  20. Denim Chicken

6,433 Messages
    5,711 Likes Received