1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Sell Us Your Pet Cat

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by texbumthelife, Feb 1, 2011.

1. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

3,487 Messages
    813 Likes Received
    I know that many people on these forums have their own pet cats at #9. Most of us strongly back our players even without substantial statistical backing to prove their heightened value over others.

In this thread it would be really cool to see people sell us on their player - as if they were the players agent and this is free agency. For starter, I honestly do not get the Cameron Jordon love at all. I am not a hater, but I just don't get it. Perhaps some of the Jordan fans could "sell him" in this thread?
  2. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,120 Messages
    3,174 Likes Received
    My pet cat is Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU.

The name of the game in the NFL is versatility. Patrick Peterson can play CB on either side of the field or either Safety position. He is one of the most dangerous return men in all of college football.

He's a physical specimen at 6'2" and around 210 pounds and many are predicting he will clock below 4.4 seconds in the 40 at the Combines.

In the 1990s the Dallas Cowboys won Championships by having more skill at the skill positions than anyone else. We have a top pass rusher, a QB, a TE, 2 WRs, and some depth at RB and CB. It's possible we can develop a pass rusher opposite Ware and at that point all we need to be a dominant team is a top CB.

I believe Peterson is that CB. His speed means he can run with any WR. His size means big WRs cannot out physical him for the football. He can stop the run and is a solid tackler.

I believe him to be the best pure football player in this Draft and he has already said he's a Cowboys fan. It's a perfect marriage if you ask me.
  3. CanuckCowboysFan

CanuckCowboysFan Benched

2,023 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    So, where does he play come September?
  4. texbumthelife

3,487 Messages
    813 Likes Received
    Best argument for Peterson yet, thank you. If he runs 4.4 no way he makes it to 9. After watching a bunch of highlights I would be surprised if he runs that fast though. LSU has always been a power team and their players routinely come out and run slower at the combine.

I like Prince's ability as a pure cover man much more, but PP's versatility sure is alluring.
  5. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,293 Messages
    1,244 Likes Received
    I don't really have a pet cat at #9, whoever we take, I hope is the best guy available and not a situation where we outsmart ourselves.
  6. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm liking Phil Taylor from Baylor... Dallas needs a BIG run stuffer and also someone who can collapse the pocket occasionally, Taylor looks to be an ideal prospect at 6'4 and 340 lbs. His play in the senior bowl confirmed the talent, one play in particular when he just threw the guard to the side like a paper doll. That folks is pure strength and aggression! The Cowboys need more girth and Taylor provides just that...
  7. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Well-Known Member

11,988 Messages
    140 Likes Received
  8. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,047 Messages
    2,277 Likes Received
    Someone sell me on Prince Akumara please.
  9. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,293 Messages
    1,244 Likes Received
    At #9? ;)
  10. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,047 Messages
    2,277 Likes Received

You know... This guy could rise quicker than anyone.

If everything about this guy is legit he is as talented as any big tackle that has came out minus Suh in awhile.

3-4 teams will be all over this guy.

He'll probably go to Pittsburgh and be a perenial Pro Bowler :(
  11. texbumthelife

3,487 Messages
    813 Likes Received
    Did Casey Hampton retire? ;)

That said, he would destroy on the Ravens.
  12. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Tyron Smith OT USC

I was going to put this in the Marc Colombo thread, but I will put it here.

I think Dallas could draft a guy like Marcus Gilbert (3rd-4th round) and replace Colombo easily. James Carpenter (3rd-4th round) is another guy who could probably do it. A team might take Carpenter at the end of the second , because all those OTs are going to rise. Gilbert is just a RT, but he could go late 2 or early three before you pick in round 3. When the top 6 are gone before pick 41, those other two guys are going to rise some. Those guys looked good at the Senior Bowl and helped their stock.

Dallas has started a sixth round pick at RT (2005), and it worked until Adams got hurt. Then, Dallas had zero OTs. That 6th round pick turned out do be not very good. That was the start of the end for Bledsoe.

That leads me to the current OT situation. Dallas has one OT who is a free agent, too. What happens if Free gets hurt? Is Sam Young going over there? That would get ugly fast. Who is going over to LT? Smith's athleticism gives you a fighting chance at LT, even if you don't want him at LT during his rookie year.

Just because those guys (Gilbert/Carpenter) project to play RT doesn't make them the best options to improve your offensive line quality and depth. If Dallas really wants to get better, younger, stronger, and more athletic on the offensive line, Tyron Smith (a red chip player) is the best pass protector in this draft, and he is a great run blocker. He should be an option at 9 before it's all said and done.

If you compare Smith to Doug Free, I would bet that Smith would project to be a better player and project to LT. Free has the upper hand in free agency, and Dallas has no leverage. It's interesting that the Cowboys have not locked him up. You can sign your own players.

Anyway, I"m going to stand my ground on drafting Tyron Smith (at 9) for three reasons.

First, he's the best offensive linemen in the draft and can start at RT and have Pro Bowl potential at LT some day in the short term. Smith would be a safe short term and long term investment. The Cowboys just played 16 games with Colombo, the worst RT that I saw all year, so Smith can start at RT for Dallas. In the long run, your team will be much better off. They remember what you do in November and December, and you will be better off late in the year and for the next decade to come. Other teams are starting rookie offensive linemen who don't come out of round 1. The 49ers started two rookies (both first round picks). The Raiders stated a rookie at LT, a third round pick.

Second, the big five OTs will most likely be way gone by 41. Free agency is stronger on the interior, and I'd rather have a real big time young talent up front than some cheap free agent patch. If you pass on Smith at 9, you will most likely watch the top 6 OTs and the top two center guards come off the board before 41. Will Danny Watkins even make it to 41? Is Jason Pinkston (probably an OG) going to be there at 41? You can't even be sure about Pinkston if those guys start flying off the board.

Third, the blue chip players (5 or 6) will likely be gone by pick 9 if you stay put. Plus, it is a deep CB class and a weak safety class. IMO, unless you are drafting Patrick Peterson, only a DE like Marcell Dareus should even be in the conversation with Smith at 9 since DE is such a big area of need, too. Dallas' talent strength is at the offensive and defensive skill positions, but their weakness is in the trenches, (up front) on offense and defense. Julio Jones may be there, but Dallas has Bryant and Austin. That is a log jam. The best way to get real impact is to draft a player in the trenches if you stay at 9, imo.

Taking Smith gives you the top rated offensive linemen in the draft and a player who would probably be a top 5 pick in the 2012 draft, all things being equal. Smith has some experience at LT and was behind a log jam of talent at USC. His skill set is that of an elite LT. He would have started at LT his senior year, but USC is on probation. The NFL told him that he was highly rated, so he left early. I'm confident that Lane Kiffin would have made Smith a top 5 pick in 2012. He turned Johnathan Crompton into a draft pick for the Chargers, a player who couldn't even keep his job the year before.

I might go down fighting on this one, but I'll go down fighting. Is this the year the Cowboys finally address their rapidly declining, aging offensive line, or will it be another empty draft up front on offense. How much longer will Dallas' offensive line hold them back? There have been two big playoff collapses on that line since 2007, and there has been 1 change in four years. I wanted Colombo replaced after 2009, and he should have been replaced.

Dallas needs to get away from slow footed maulers and big, slow offensive linemen and start drafting and playing players like Tyron Smith. The Robert Brewsters, James Martens, Rob Petites, E.J. Wheatley's ect... are not cutting. It's time to take a dip out of the top of the offensive line ice cream bucket.

As Parcells used to state, "We'll see".
  13. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    NAME THAT PLAYER:

1. Two-time first-team All-American
    2. Most decorated active defensive player in the NCAA Division I FCS ranks
    3. In each of his two seasons as a starter, has been a finalist for the Buck Buchanan Award
    4. He was the only FCS representative on the official watch list for the Bronko Nagurski Trophy two years in a row
    5. Is active NCAA leader with 22 career interceptions (4 more then 2nd place)
    6. Led the Southern Conference in interceptions each of the past two seasons and led the nation in 2008
    7. Owns two of the top three single-season interception totals in ASU history
    8. One of the team’s hardest hitters
  14. CanuckCowboysFan

CanuckCowboysFan Benched

2,023 Messages
    0 Likes Received

BIG MARK LEGREEEEEEE
  15. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,730 Messages
    623 Likes Received
    Mark LeGree, Appalachian State - love this kid too
  16. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner!:laugh2:
  17. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,730 Messages
    623 Likes Received
    6'0 200lbs is far from big, especially at safety.
  18. CanuckCowboysFan

CanuckCowboysFan Benched

2,023 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :laugh2: Yay !!
  19. CanuckCowboysFan

CanuckCowboysFan Benched

2,023 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I did not mean that literally, but OK.
  20. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,730 Messages
    623 Likes Received
    Yeah, just jealous that someone else beat me to one of my own pet cats. A Canadian even. :D