1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Sen. Kerry Blames Tornados on Global Warming

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by rbr651, Feb 7, 2008.

1. rbr651

rbr651 Active Member

656 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Former Democratic presidential nominee blames 'intense storms' that have killed more than 50 on climate change.

By Jeff Poor
    Business & Media Institute

2/6/2008 5:07:05 PM

Politicians using tragedy to advance an agenda has been a tried-and-true strategy. Paint the idea green and a natural catastrophe became political fodder for former Democratic presidential nominee Sen. John Kerry (Mass.).

Kerry appeared on MSNBC on February 6 to discuss storms that have killed at least 50 people throughout the Southeastern United States. So, of course, Kerry used the platform to advance global warming alarmism.

don’t want to sort of leap into the larger meaning of, you know, inappropriately, but on the other hand, the weather service has told us we are going to have more and more intense storms,” Kerry said. “And insurance companies are beginning to look at this issue and understand this is related to the intensity of storms that is related to the warming of the earth. And so it goes to global warming and larger issues that we’re not paying attention to. The fact is the hurricanes are more intensive, the storms are more intensive and the rainfall is more intense at certain places at certain times and the weather patterns have changed.”
    Kerry’s assertion tornado activity is related to any type of climate change is questionable based on the writings of at least one meteorologist. Roger Edwards, a meteorologist at the Storm Prediction Center of the National Weather Center in Norman, Okla., has doubts about any global warming and tornado relationship.

“As of this writing, no scientific studies solidly relate climatic global temperature trends to tornadoes,” Edwards wrote on the Earth & Sky Web site in April 2007. “I don’t expect any such results in the near future either, because tornadoes are too small, short–lived, hard to measure and count, and too dependent on day to day, even minute to minute weather conditions.”
  2. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,910 Messages
    350 Likes Received
    He also blamed the Swiftboaters on Global Warming... ;)
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,057 Messages
    3,535 Likes Received
    I blame it on a cold front that ran into a southerly flow off the Gulf of Mexico :D
  4. Mavs Man

Mavs Man All outta bubble gum

4,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think he's alluding more to the calendar - typically these events occur starting in April orlater. But I don't think you can take one event and extrapolate that to an overall trend. Seems like I read in an AP article this morning that F-4 and F-5 tornadoes are occuring with less frequency but F-1 through F-3 tornadoes are occuring with more frequency.

Anyway, I'm stepping out of this thread before it heads north of 300 posts.

:laugh2:
  5. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,026 Messages
    768 Likes Received
    I blame Ronald Reagan and his non republican hating weather machine.
  6. CowboyJeff

CowboyJeff New Member

1,905 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    What does Kerry say about the tornados that ripped through the US before the 1900s? Global cooling?????
  7. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,057 Messages
    3,535 Likes Received
    I think Global Warmer is taking place because of all the hot air Kerry is putting out. Kerry stick with what you know instead of making bone head comments about things you clearly have no clue about.
  8. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,039 Messages
    144 Likes Received
    The Ozone layer has more to do with this in my opinion. More energy gets into the weather systems. This leads to more erratic weather. Greater highs and lows.

Though I haven't ruled out the Republican Weather Generator!
  9. Bizwah

Bizwah Well-Known Member

5,972 Messages
    208 Likes Received
    Ok....I totally misread the title.

I thought it meant that Kerry was blaming the TORNADOS for CAUSING global warming.

Oooops.
  10. jman

jman Active Member

1,765 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He really wanted to blame God...the liberal bastid!
  11. Mavs Man

Mavs Man All outta bubble gum

4,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I thought that's what Richard Pryor created in Superman III?

:laugh2:
  12. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,687 Messages
    1,011 Likes Received
    I work in the insurance industry and that's just laughable. Before 2004 we had gone almost a decade without significant damage from any major storm system. Since Katrina, we really haven't seen a whole lot.

Just because weather is bad a couple of years, that doesn't equal a trend.
  13. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    :hammer: