1. CowboysZone Upgrade Coming Soon! For more information, click here.

Senator Stevens Convicted on Corruption Charges

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by BrAinPaiNt, Oct 27, 2008.

1. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Backwoods Sexy Staff Member

63,523 Messages
    7,168 Likes Received
    LINK

By JASON RYAN, PIERRE THOMAS and THERESA COOK
    Oct. 27, 2008

A jury in Washington, D.C., has convicted Alaska Republican Sen. Ted Stevens on federal corruption charges, casting doubt on the future of his 40-year political career.

A federal grand jury indicted Stevens, 84, in July on seven counts of making false statements, for allegedly lying on U.S. Senate financial disclosure forms for the years 1999 to 2006.

The jury of eight women and four men deliberated for five hours Monday before returning guilty verdicts on all seven counts.

Deliberations came to a halt late last week after a juror needed to leave town because of her father's death. The jury restarted its deliberations Monday with an alternate taking the place of that juror.

Prosecutors claimed that Stevens accepted $250,000 worth of gifts, primarily from now-defunct oil services company Veco Corp. and its former CEO, Bill Allen. Among the alleged gifts was the value of a home renovation project that transformed the senator's Girdwood, Alaska, home from a quaint cabin to a sizeable house, a $2,600 massage chair and a Viking gas grill.

The defense had said in court that the Stevens family paid more than $160,000 for the renovations, and Stevens testified that some of the gifts were instead loans, and others were left at his home by Allen. The defense contended that anything left off the disclosure forms was merely an oversight.

Each charge carries a maximum five years in prison and $250,000 fine. U.S. District Court Judge Emmet Sullivan will sentence Stevens in January.

Stevens, the longest-serving Republican senator, has been in office since 1968. During his four decades on Capitol Hill, he has become legendary for funneling millions in federal dollars to Alaska, including the "bridge to nowhere" project. Buildings and facilities all across Alaska, including the state's biggest airport, bear Stevens' name.

But the senator is also known for his orneriness. On days when he was spoiling for a fight in the Senate, Stevens often wore a tie bearing the angry comic book hero the Incredible Hulk. He even referred to himself as "a mean, miserable SOB."

Next week, he will face off with the Democratic challenger to his seat in the U.S. Senate, Anchorage mayor Mark Begich. Recent polls show a tight race, and Republican officials have admitted that the outcome of Stevens' trial will weigh heavily on the minds of Alaska voters and fellow senators who could vote to oust Stevens.

"If the trial comes to a conclusion and, as he believes, that he is found innocent, I think that he will win that election up there," National Republican Senatorial Committee chairman Sen. John Ensign, R-Nev. said last Tuesday. "If it goes the other way, obviously, it really won't matter what happens in the election."

Stevens is the latest Alaska Republican to fall amid the wide-ranging public corruption probe in that state. The investigation began in 2004, expanded to include Allen's company two years later and ensnared the senator after investigators became suspicious of Stevens' relationship with Allen.

Last year, federal agents searched Stevens' Girdwood home -- which he calls the "chalet" -- and Allen, the millionaire oilman, pleaded guilty to his own separate corruption charges. Seven other Alaskans, including the ex-speaker of the statehouse, a former vice president of Veco and a lobbyist, have been convicted as part of the probe.

Allen is the man on the other end of Stevens wiretaps, collected by the FBI. Prosecutors believed the recordings, which they played for the jury, proved that Stevens was aware he might be in legal trouble.

"They are not going to shoot us, it's not Iraq," Stevens can be heard saying on one tape. "We might have to pay a fine and serve a little time in jail."

Stevens' attorneys are expected to appeal the conviction, but the senator's words could come back to haunt him soon enough.
  2. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

37,061 Messages
    3,159 Likes Received
    And Sarah, if you can believe the polls, with not much to do in about a week and a half. Humm...........
  3. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,748 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Justice was served here.
  4. Wheat

Wheat Philosopher

2,924 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Guess I'm not shocked that only two people replied here.

Of course there will be appeals after appeals. But, for the most Sr. GOPer on the Hill to get busted like this a week before the election is not a good thing.

That seat which I thought would be Palin's in her and McCain lost....might go Dem this year.

Pretty damning stuff.
  5. ConcordCowboy

12,748 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Democrats aren't crying over this.

:D
  6. ABQCOWBOY

37,061 Messages
    3,159 Likes Received
    This is unlikely IMO. If Sarah Palin wanted to run for that seat, I can not see any situation in which Palin would lose. Even now, after all of the Mudd, she is still at a 68% approval rating.
  7. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You act as if Democrats don't do the same thing.
  8. Wheat

Wheat Philosopher

2,924 Messages
    0 Likes Received

In her home state, she is very popular. But, look how Stevens is polled through all of this. In most states, he'd be down by a ton.

Either way, if she is thinking towards her political future. She'll need to stay on the national stage.
  9. ABQCOWBOY

37,061 Messages
    3,159 Likes Received

I guess I don't see the relivance of this. Stevens is a Senator in Alaska. He will be out and Palin is very popular in that State. That State may not have a great deal of population in it but it is a very powerful State because of it's natural resources. If she won that Senate seat, I think she could easily stay in the spot lite. The GOP will make certain of this IMO.
  10. Wheat

Wheat Philosopher

2,924 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Except if Stevens loses, that means the Dem won.....and that seat isn't up until 2014.

How does she get there?

Stevens needs to be found guilty.....and STILL win.
  11. ConcordCowboy

12,748 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    No.

I said that the Democrats won't be crying over Stevens getting convicted.

That's all.
  12. ABQCOWBOY

37,061 Messages
    3,159 Likes Received
    Auhhh..

Yes, I understand now. Sorry to be so dense. Yes, that would be an issue. I guess we'll have to see how that goes.