1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Senior Bowl: North Team Practice Observations - Live

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by TheCount, Jan 27, 2011.

1. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,668 Messages
    689 Likes Received
    Got a snow day here so I thought I'd watch practice and just post a little about what I'm seeing with my untrained eyes, until I get bored.

They just have helmets on today, so nothing too physical.

Jake Locker looks pretty inaccurate early on, flinging the ball all over the place. Looks like he prefers to throw uncatchable balls than throwing picks in practice.

Stanzi (QB) just made a bad read and threw an easy pick to Casey Matthews who read the play well and slid under the inside route, went up and plucked it. Coach warns Stanzi that throw will be a pick every time.

Titus Young looks good, high pointed a fade in the endzone for a TD on a perfect throw from Stanzi, undefendable. On the next throw Young lets one goes through his hands, may have been thrown too hard since it was a redzone drill.
  2. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,668 Messages
    689 Likes Received
    Locker practicing taking snaps on the side after he fumbled the ball on a qb/center exchange, coaches not happy.

"Better you had died as a small child than fumbled my football", interesting anecdote from one of the analysts about a particular coach that hated fumbled snaps, not sure which guy said it.
  3. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,668 Messages
    689 Likes Received
    Interview with Mayocks Top 3 tackles, Carimi, Costanzo and Solder. Mayock described them as "meatballs" and they are asking them what they think it means, non of them has a clue.
  4. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,668 Messages
    689 Likes Received
    They are doing some no contact stuff now, not a ton to report. Doing individual stuff with the tackles on the side, Carimi and Solder working together.

They are showing replays of Titus Young doing some stuff, looks good returning the ball, taking reverses and running routes. Mayock says he COULD BE Desean Jackson.
  5. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,668 Messages
    689 Likes Received
    Mayock says Cam is ahead of Vince Young and Tebow as far as coming out of college as a prospect.
  6. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,668 Messages
    689 Likes Received
    Titus Young with another catch although he probably would have been tackled right away in a real game, he runs it into the endzone with the DB yanking on the back of his jersey so he knows he would have been his.
  7. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,668 Messages
    689 Likes Received
    Moffitt sighting, kind of got beat with a speed move but these drills aren't set up to favor the olinemen.
  8. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,668 Messages
    689 Likes Received
    Mayock really like Costanzo at LT, says he could be your tackle for the next 10 years.
  9. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,668 Messages
    689 Likes Received
    Locker chooses to pull one down and run instead of taking Titus Young with one on one coverage after a double move.
  10. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,501 Messages
    2,024 Likes Received
    I just don't think Locker has it. Maybe with a whole bunch of work, if he has some fundamental flaws that can be fixed. And I guess you could say he's not that far off from Josh Freeman... But I just don't think he throws it well enough. Obviously he has everything else.

And I saw that interview with the three "meatballs". Not sure if it was the wide-angle camera lens making it look like that, but Carimi looks like the widest, biggest-framed of all of them. Costanzo almost looked slight.
  11. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,668 Messages
    689 Likes Received
    Burney, UNC CB having a heck of a practice. Has two picks and almost had a third on a pass to Titus Young. He's short though, and Mayock says he probably won't run all that well at the combine but he can play.
  12. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,668 Messages
    689 Likes Received
    Lance Kendricks with a great catch off a tip.

Casey Matthews is making great reads, looks comfortable and not rushing things.

As I'm typing that, he correctly diagnoses a screen and gets past the blocking to get there even before the ball gets there. Would have blown up the RB if this was a contact drill.
  13. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,668 Messages
    689 Likes Received
    Jake Locker has a miscommunication with someone, throws a ball with no one within 20 yards of the ball but shows a nice arm.
  14. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,668 Messages
    689 Likes Received
    Wish I could give more on the linemen, but not watching in HD and on a small screen. It's impossible to make out who's who right now unless they run a replay.

North team wrapping it up, Mayock talking about how he loves Gabe Carimi saying "round and delicious" as a description for what he thought "meatball" meant.
  15. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,668 Messages
    689 Likes Received
    Charles Davis comments on Quinton Carter, saying that right now his talents may not show but he will have more impact come game time. (Actually refereed to him as Quinton Jackson, who we all know as Rampage, before Mayock corrected him)

That's it, shows over.
  16. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,668 Messages
    689 Likes Received
    Yeah, I am completely unimpressed with Locker.

Carimi looked huge but I was actually surprised by how solid Solder looked as well.
  17. btcutter

btcutter Well-Known Member

2,644 Messages
    147 Likes Received
    thanks for posting and keep up updated!

Those who can't watch appreciate your effort.