1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Serious, but hypothetical question about OL

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by TXCowboyVol, Nov 25, 2012.

1. TXCowboyVol

TXCowboyVol Member

306 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    What if we would've kept Flozell, Gurode, and Leonard Davis? If our 2012 OL was like the following, would it mean the difference between 5-6 and maybe 7-4??

LT Tyron
    LG Nate Livings
    C Gurode
    RG L Davis
    RT Flozell

Thoughts??
  2. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,608 Messages
    3,495 Likes Received
    anything is better than this line.
  3. BAZ

BAZ Drunken Mick

2,378 Messages
    252 Likes Received
    Why would you bother moving Smith over it the hotel was still in business?
  4. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    We had to move on. Gurode's knees are pretty degenerative. He might be able to play a few games but that's it. Gurode would not be an improvement over a healthy Costa or Killer but he is better than Cook who cannot run block at all.

Bigg Davis could play if he were interested in losing weight, improving his agility and taking a pay cut. My understanding is that we offered Bigg something but he thought it wasn't enough so he balked. I actually don't think he would represent an improvement over what Bern gives us right now after he has recovered from his two leg surgeries. He is definitely better than Dockery, though.

As for Flo, again he could come back on a lesser contract but he wasn't interested in doing so. I think he would only be a good reserve at this stage as he was really losing his agility. I still think he'd be an upgrade over what Free has been this year but not over what we got out of Free 2009-11. It has mostly been this year that Free has imploded but he was sub-par in 2011 compared to 2009-10.
  5. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

5,810 Messages
    497 Likes Received
    I think so. My complaint with how we handled the offensive line was that when we gave up on them we didn't have anyone behind them. I felt like we should've worked guys in slowly and then gotten rid of them. But we got rid of them all in a 2 year span and had no one behind them and the one guy we did have was Free and....I don't know what happened to him.
  6. Section444

Section444 Well-Known Member

4,199 Messages
    745 Likes Received
    I think that the league has passed all three of them by. Davis must have some kind of blackmail with someone in the 49ers front office, because there's no way he should still be in the league.
  7. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,235 Messages
    2,804 Likes Received
    No. Those guys were done.
  8. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,683 Messages
    1,132 Likes Received
    Tony would be dead.