1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Serious Question about Fantasy...

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports Zone' started by CM Duck, Aug 28, 2011.

1. CM Duck

CM Duck I'm breaking the 4th wall...

999 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    draft strategy.

Ive only been doing the fantasy football stuff for about 3 years and I can not understand why it is "better" to draft a top notch RB over a top notch QB.

Example: I am in a 16 team league and I have the #2 overall pick. Naturally all the "experts" have the top 3 picks as Foster, Peterson, and CJ. But I am strongly considering drafting Brees with the #2 pick then grabbing 2 RBs or a RB and best WR available with my next 2 picks.

Let me say the scoring is set up a little different in this league and Brees is projected to have a major season when it comes to points. Id have to draft the top 2 RBs to have what he is projected for. So...

Im looking for true expert explanations as to why everybody always drafts the top RBs over the top QBs.

Can any of you guys tell me?
  2. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,184 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    The theory is that the drop off in points between an Adrian Peterson and a guy like a J. Addai is a lot greater then drop off between Drew Brees and Matt Schaub.

I took Ray Rice with the 3rd pick, then took Romo in the 5th round of my draft (10 teams). Conversely the guy in the 5th spot took Rogers, but his first RB is DeAngelo Williams. He could of got a better back in the 2nd round but would of lost out on his WR1 Hakeem Nicks. Romo in the 5th is a lot better value to me then Rogers in the first and I have a top 5 RB who is going to get a lot of touches every game.
  3. funkytown

funkytown Well-Known Member

1,023 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    He said it all with his first paragraph.

Yes, QB's score more fantasy points. But the dropoff between the top tier RB's and the second tier RB's is much greater than with QB's.

But i'm all for drafting a stud QB like Brees, Brady, Manning, or Rodgers.

I had the top pick in my draft this year and I took Rodgers.
  4. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,350 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    this is absolutely right and i urge you not take a qb in the first. most if not all of the other teams will be taking RBs in the first and the guy drafting #4 and 5 will love you for taking brees #2 overall. after you take brees there will be 28 players taken before you even have a chance to grab a RB. at #2 in a 16 team league i would probably go RB, WR, WR but you could go QB in the third because you are concerned with it
  5. CM Duck

999 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Thanks for all the info guys.

I ask because the projections has the top QB(Brees) at 690+ points while the 10th ranked QB(Rothlesberger) at 540+ points. Thats 150 points drop off. Meanwhile the top RB(Peterson) is projected at 332+ points while the 10th ranked RB(McFadden) is at 243+ points. Thats roughly a 90 point drop off.

I know projections are exactly that: PROJECTIONS, but thats all I can go by sense I lost my crystal ball, lol.

My concern is that 60 points I could miss out on.

Our draft is not until Sept 4th, so I have time to think things over.

Again guys, thanks for the info and anymore info I can get in the next few days.
  6. CM Duck

999 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I was thinking of doing this also. Like going Peterson 1st, top WR on the board 2nd, and Im thinking maybe Broncos QB in the 3rd. Id love to grab Romo in the 2nd or 3rd but being there are a lot of Cowboy fans in this league and Im almost positive he will be gone by the time my 2nd pick rolls around.
  7. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,350 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    i would say romo,shaub,e manning are your targets. if those guys go i like stafford and bradford i think threw more passes than anybody last year and now josh mcdaniels is running things and he is pass happy as well
  8. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,184 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    Every league is different, 690+ points is an awful lot. Sounds like your league has some high scoring rules for quarterbacks. If that is the case it might be a good idea to take one of the top 5 QBs.

We have pretty aggressive QB scoring for QBs with 6 points per TD and Brady was number one last season with 413 points. In our league there was only 80 points difference between the 1st and 10th highest QBs, where as RBs there was a 137 point difference between 1st and 10th. Considering you only start one QB it doesnt make sense to draft one early. In your league that might not be the case especially since there are 16 teams.