1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Serious question regarding the defense.

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Shotgun Dave, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Shotgun Dave

Shotgun Dave Well-Known Member

1,578 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    OK, so just prior to the New Orleans game Dallas was cruising right along and looking like a lock for the NFC East title.

In the last 4 games Dallas has allowed as many points as they had in their previous 8 games. Opponents in that span have included such future Hall of Fame QB's as John Kitna and Michael Vick (eyes rolling).

My question is...what SPECIFICALLY changed that turned our defense into a steaming pile of horse crap? Regardless of those who want to pin this on Romo (who, despite his turnovers, completed about 75% of his passes for over 300 yards and two TD's), our offense scored 24 points. That ought to be good enough to win if your defense doesn't suck.

But our defense SUCKS. WHY? WHAT HAPPENED?
  2. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Zimmer!
  3. dargonking999

dargonking999 DKRandom

11,817 Messages
    189 Likes Received
    I guess everyone Missed the Lions game against The Bears.

3 TD's 1 INt i think it was

the lions have been coming on late, and well they were due
  4. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Bye Felicia!

20,170 Messages
    1,363 Likes Received
    This happened.

[IMG]
  5. gbrittain

gbrittain Well-Known Member

5,111 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    Oh stop it. Dallas was due for a critical win too don't you think? Dallas has won one out of its last four.

Do not make excuses for this team. They do not need to be propped up they just need to play better.
  6. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This is my opinion a the loss of Ellis was pretty big factor in part of the issue.

Second you noticed the players have been griping at the coaches not being more aggressive about the play calling hon defense. The coaches do not trust them is what we get from Bill. I think the defense has just laid down and quit on Zimmer and his scheme. call it a lack of faith in his system scheme what ever you want.

Remember the Texans offense last year under Palmer (he was cut after about 3 games). The defensive players have talked and played like they no longer have faith in the coaching staff much like the Texans players last year.
  7. Dave_in-NC

Dave_in-NC Well-Known Member

15,095 Messages
    2,459 Likes Received
    It doesn't get any more plain than that. From top to bottom.
  8. dargonking999

dargonking999 DKRandom

11,817 Messages
    189 Likes Received
    Im not making excuses, the lions have been playing better, and they came in there nad played hard, and we made to many mistakes, and it cost us down the strech. We had 4 TO. You cant win like that.
  9. hank2k

hank2k Member

516 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Great question. How bout some real hard analysis instead of "Zimmer sucks " ,etc. I didnt tape the game but does Marcus Spears still play on this team?
  10. hank2k

hank2k Member

516 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This isnt Zimmers scheme its Parcells'. Thats part of the problem I think.
  11. Shotgun Dave

1,578 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    Thank you, Kangaroo. I realize there are a lot of Zimmer haters (like me) but I want to know what has CHANGED that has caused this colossal collapse. When did we lose Ellis again?

Ware had THREE sacks today and STILL we gave up nearly SIX touchdowns today!
  12. dargonking999

dargonking999 DKRandom

11,817 Messages
    189 Likes Received

nah he was cut for ghost
  13. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

26,346 Messages
    6,388 Likes Received
    Payton exposed our main weakness.

Namely the fact Bradie James and Roy Williams cannot hold the middle in coverage. James in particular is awful and Williams isn't fast enough to close the hole.

Today was even more distressing that Terence Newman got beaten like a rented mule.
  14. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,413 Messages
    1,853 Likes Received
    A few things hurt this defense during the second half of the season:

1. Losing Greg Ellis.
    2. Bad play by Bradie James.
    3. Bad play by Aaron Glenn.
    4. Bad play by Anthony Henry.

Strangely, our biggest ailment during the first half of the season (safeties) wasn't really a big problem during the second half of the season.
  15. Haley94

Haley94 Active Member

1,096 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    In the NO game, our defense got psychologically raped. They don't trust the scheme or the coaches, but most of all, they don't trust themselves. They are in a corner, curled up in the fetal position, mumbling to themselves. It's a sad sight when you don't trust yourself anymore.
  16. Alexander

26,346 Messages
    6,388 Likes Received
    I agree.

They have done anything and everything.

We have tried the "player's only" meeting.

We have tried the "quiet player calls out everyone for talking too much" angle.

They really don't know either, and that is what is so very frightening.

From what I see, we really did think we are that great based off of preseason and it went through its progressions up and down through the year. It met its height after Indianapolis. Since then it has plummetted.

Very much like the bully that doubts themselves after getting punched in the mouth, we are stunned and very dumb right now.
  17. Shotgun Dave

1,578 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    It boggles my mind that Dallas has spent SO MANY draft picks on defense and THIS is what we've got. I just don't know what to make of it. I really don't. Either our draft department truly sucks or our defensive strategy( and coordinator) really are that bad.

I tell you what...mark my words on this...as soon as our season is over (next Saturday night?) there are going to be some major changes around here. NO WAY does Dallas perform like this without Jerry exploding.

NO WAY.
  18. Alexander

26,346 Messages
    6,388 Likes Received
    If last week was not enough, this game solidified it.

Zimmer's contract is not renewed and somehow people will believe justice has been served.
  19. Dave_in-NC

Dave_in-NC Well-Known Member

15,095 Messages
    2,459 Likes Received
    I think that sums it up. No one knows where to turn.
  20. Alexander

26,346 Messages
    6,388 Likes Received
    And what does that tell you?

We have no leadership.

Not from the defensive coordinator.

And not from the players either.