1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Sharif Floyd

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by rpatricc, Aug 27, 2013.

1. rpatricc

rpatricc Well-Known Member

940 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    Ratliff on the PUP is exactly why you draft a Top 5 DL talent that slips to 18 when you get the chance. Frederick was a very good pick at 31, but I still think you stick to your board (which had Floyd rated top 15) and take best available player. Then, if you love Frederick so much, do what you can to trade up from the 2nd round to get him.
  2. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,909 Messages
    753 Likes Received
    So Ratliff to PUP was just the ammunition you were looking for to re-open this stupid, stupid debate, eh?
    CowboyMike, Muhast, mldardy and 10 others like this.
  3. TheRomoSexual

TheRomoSexual Well-Known Member

2,520 Messages
    1,046 Likes Received
    No, you take a guy who will be our center for the next decade. Oh, and you pick up a third the process. I can't believe people are still fixated on a guy who wasn't even that great of a pass rusher in college.
  4. jwitten82

jwitten82 Active Member

653 Messages
    108 Likes Received
    Didnt Floyd only have like 3 or 5 sacks for his college career? If so, then whats the big deal about him?
    CowboyMike and Muhast like this.
  5. pacy

pacy 82 WITTEN 82

228 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    Imagine to still have Costa at center.
    fatboygixxer and brymatt94 like this.
  6. TheRomoSexual

TheRomoSexual Well-Known Member

2,520 Messages
    1,046 Likes Received
    I really don't get it. Now, if Star had been available, I'd be singing a different tune. But Floyd? Mr. 4.5 career sacks? No thank you.
    Muhast likes this.
  7. cowboys1985

cowboys1985 Active Member

111 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    Exactly....can you imagine to outrage right now with our O-Line minus Fredrick? I'm 100% good with that pick.
  8. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,783 Messages
    1,173 Likes Received
    Floyd was running 3rd team and has been out with a knee injury that needed scoped. He did little to nothing so far that should make anyone regret getting Frederick.
    Muhast, pugilist, WoodysGirl and 3 others like this.
  9. Jerruh

Jerruh Active Member

353 Messages
    40 Likes Received
    I call bullcrap. Who knows if Floyd will pan out as a good tackle. I haven't seen any Minnesota games so I have no clue. That being said Frederick looks like a stud at a position of dire need coming into this offseason. Had we neglected the o-line in the first round folks would be calling for Jerry and Jason's heads. Moreover, there has speculation that Fred would have gone at the tail end of the first.

By your reasoning we shore up the DT position that as is has shown the potential to be adequate while Rat heals up. In exchange you neglect the interior offensive line which has been horrendous for the last few seasons.

This isn't even taking into account the 3rd rounder we received in the trade down and selected a very talented receiver in Williams. Had they selected Fred, Romo could potentially be comatose by the end of the season.
    khiladi and brymatt94 like this.
  10. GroundUp

GroundUp Member

218 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    Great idea,then Romo could join Rat on PUP....no wait a minute...
    khiladi and brymatt94 like this.
  11. Jerruh

Jerruh Active Member

353 Messages
    40 Likes Received
    Sadly I know some cowboys fans that wouldn't be opposed to this.
    5Stars likes this.
  12. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

6,880 Messages
    574 Likes Received
    You can rue on Floyd all you want while I enjoy seeing a legit center handle it up front.
    Corso likes this.
  13. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,443 Messages
    2,238 Likes Received
    Floyd is out for the preseason and wasn't going to be starting. He is a developmental prospect and is going to be a while in developing if he does at all. Fred is going to start and play well from day 1.

Revisionist history makes the case for Floyd worse and not better. I wouldn't trade them head up right now.
  14. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,865 Messages
    4,921 Likes Received
    What an original idea.
  15. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,038 Messages
    144 Likes Received
    The Cowboys' only real problem with this was Kiffen/Marinelli popping off about how we had such depth and didn't need another Dlineman. I was worried that that would end up biting them in the butt, and it sure has in TC.

On the other hand, I'd really like to get a #70 jersey right now...
  16. skinsscalper

skinsscalper Well-Known Member

5,566 Messages
    544 Likes Received
    Don't bring facts into this. It makes the stupid feel....well.....stupid.
  17. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,064 Messages
    648 Likes Received
    Watch the tape, stats don't always tell the whole story. Read any scouting report by whoever you want written prior to the draft. Floyd was a very good pass rusher as a 20 year old in the SEC. Sheldon Richardson, who went 13th, had 6 sacks in that same time.

And I'm not completely with the OP in saying that Frederick shouldn't have been the pick, I'm just tired of seeing this from people just because it was the spin the front office fed to everyone.
  18. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,805 Messages
    1,323 Likes Received

Has it?

The DL still looks okay even though we're on our 3rd SDE on the depth chart, and Ratliff is still out. Don't get me wrong; things could get bad pretty quick (knock on wood), but we're holding strong so far.

We were thinner on the OL. Can you imagine not having Frederick? Leary, Livings and Cook are already not playing right now...
  19. DanManJ

DanManJ Active Member

280 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    Fredrick's play so far has made him look like a brilliant pick and I could not be happier getting him. Watching him in the preseason I see almost no mental errors and he is very smart about knowing his assignment. I look forward to seeing what he does for us going forward. As far as Floyd I have not heard anything amazing about him that would make him worth that early pick. I would prefer to stay with the "next man up" mentality for this situation and see what we have on the team.
  20. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,181 Messages
    6,964 Likes Received