1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Sharrif Floyd drops 25 pounds as he looks to replace Kevin Williams as Vikings defensive tackle

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by RS12, Apr 26, 2014.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,691 Messages
    1,498 Likes Received
    Being the heir apparent to Kevin Williams is something Sharrif Floyd is not taking lightly. Then again, he has gotten lighter.

As he prepares for his second season, Floyd said Saturday he’s lost 25 pounds since he gave up meat March 7 to get down to 305. Floyd is looking to move on from a so-so rookie season and take over for one of the best defensive tackles in recent NFL history.

Williams, 33, was a Minnesota starter the past 11 years and made six Pro Bowls. But the Vikings elected not to re-sign him when he became a free agent after last season.

“I’m glad they see me in that role,’’ Floyd said of being in line to start. “I love Kevin Williams. I have the utmost respect for him. I wish him nothing but the best in anything he’s got going on. But that was the Vikings’ decision.’’

Floyd said he hasn’t been told by anyone on the Vikings he definitely will start and that there will be competition. With free-agent signee Linval Joseph likely to start at nose tackle, the Vikings also have recent signee Tom Johnson vying to replace Williams.

But Floyd, taken with the No. 23 pick in the 2013 draft, is doing everything he can to make sure he will be the guy. That includes getting in the best shape of his life.

http://blogs.twincities.com/vikings...e-kevin-williams-as-vikings-defensive-tackle/
  2. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,574 Messages
    2,436 Likes Received
    Floyd will end up being very good.

I'm happy with Freddy and Williams anyway.
    tantrix1969, BigStar and Risen Star like this.
  3. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,775 Messages
    10,070 Likes Received
    I agree. We don't need Floyd to bust in order to call that trade a success. A stud C and a productive WR trump even a stud DT.
    tantrix1969 and BraveHeartFan like this.
  4. Hardline

Hardline Well-Known Member

869 Messages
    367 Likes Received
    Our center will be shutting down defensive tackles like Floyd for many years.
    Wheeltax likes this.
  5. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,859 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    Floyd was 297 at the combine. So he ballooned up to 330 last year and is now 305? That looks like positive spin when I see it the other way.