1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Sherrington: Cowboys’ Jason Garrett ‘no longer a hot property’ in NFL circles

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by khiladi, Mar 29, 2013.

1. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

11,266 Messages
    1,602 Likes Received
  2. MaineBoy

MaineBoy Member

425 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    He's actually no longer a hot property in Dallas either. Just in Jerry's dreams of the Jimmy Days.
  3. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,755 Messages
    3,734 Likes Received
    The same thing is true of most coaches if they get removed from a HC gig. Garret's obviously not an Andy Reid who's going to step right into another top spot automatically. This isn't saying anything, it's just couched as a slight of our coach to try to get some reaction.
  4. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Garrett the coach suffers from Jerry's hype machines and over-inflated expectations from the roster that he has put together. That is the only reason he is seen as a bit of a disappointment. Most of the names on the roster are old and in decline while most of the youngsters are still learning the pro game and/or injured. He has had to get by with a patchwork roster since he has started. I actually think this is the first year where I would say this is mostly Garrett's roster. I say mostly because the decision to franchise Spencer has left no room to fill out the weak spots on the roster.

It'll be interesting to see if we release Free on June 1st. There should then finally be some room to look into adding depth to the roster and maybe signing a replacement along the OL.
  5. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,496 Messages
    879 Likes Received
    No head coach is a "hot commodity" if they are an active head coach of a team. Sure, there are coaches teams would want like Belichick, Harbaugh1, Harbaugh2, etc. but even they are not "hot commodities" because they are not available so no team is wasting any time thinking or talking about them.

Coordinators can be or not be hot commodities, but not active head coaches unless their contract is up this year or rumors are everywhere they will be fired soon.

His comments are based on pure speculation and opinion and are geared toward riling the homers and bringing out the haters.

/reality
  6. Cowboy_Shawn

Cowboy_Shawn Active Member

548 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    Baltimore has to be happy that they dodged that bullet.
  7. jobberone

jobberone Save the Snow Leopard Staff Member

34,978 Messages
    2,555 Likes Received
    After looking back over the last few years I think it's going to take 4-5 years to really evaluate the guy if then. No coach can win without some talent. If you have average talent then most likely no one is going to get much more than 1 -2 games over 8-8.

This draft and FA acquisition is critical for the club and hence Garrett. The talent on the team is getting better overall with some exciting players geared up to play today's game.

And before I get flamed I'm not convinced Red is the guy yet. I just don't have a fair enough evaluation to judge him completely.
  8. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

4,089 Messages
    1,091 Likes Received
    You nailed it!
  9. Avenger

Avenger Member

210 Messages
    10 Likes Received

Bingo.
  10. mmillman

mmillman Active Member

2,139 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    I don't even know if he was and if he was a "hot property"

The guy, prior to Dallas, was a mediocre coordinator and had zero head coaching experience at any level.

Dallas has paid for this inexperience time and time again. I believe a top coach would have had this team in the playoffs the last two seasons.
  11. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,113 Messages
    737 Likes Received
    Atlanta as well. ;)
  12. Bwareinrings94

Bwareinrings94 Active Member

502 Messages
    127 Likes Received
    The bozo could have written this 2 years ago.
  13. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,401 Messages
    377 Likes Received
    It speaks volumes that the current Cowboy head coach Jason Garrett (and offensive coordinator - same guy doing both roles) would have a hard time getting a coordinator position right now if fired.
  14. Fansince64

Fansince64 Active Member

152 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    If you are referring to Jason Garrett (who this thread is about) he was not a "coordinator" (mediocre or otherwise) prior to being hired as OC by Jerry. The sum total of Garrett's coaching experience prior to the cowboys was two years as QB coach for Miami in 2005 and 2006. Let me repeat - that is two years as any kind of coach at any level (Pop Warner, Jr. High School, High School, College or Pro).

To be honest, I wonder if anyone else in NFL history has ever been a coordinator or HC with so little coaching history at any level on their resume?

Monte Sliger
  15. Idgit

27,755 Messages
    3,734 Likes Received
    If that were true, it would, indeed, speak volumes. But it's not true.
  16. mmillman

mmillman Active Member

2,139 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    correct, I meant he was a mediocre coordinator here
  17. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,941 Messages
    424 Likes Received
    I'm not a huge Garrett fan either but this team was hit with major injuries last year so let's see how he does in 2013.
  18. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,098 Messages
    300 Likes Received
    I think it is.
  19. Idgit

27,755 Messages
    3,734 Likes Received
    I don't doubt for a second that you do.

It's moot, because he's the HC in DAL, and well-regarded by the organization. If he were on the street, I believe he'd be picked up by a quality organization to run the offense in a matter of days. Maybe some of you guys will get your wish, and we'll get to see next year. I suspect we won't, though.
  20. Fla Cowpoke

Fla Cowpoke Well-Known Member

2,081 Messages
    188 Likes Received
    Um, just remember, if Garrett got the job in Baltimore he would have got the GM in Baltimore and the players....hard to say that Baltimore didn't have a lot more talent overall than Dallas did a year ago.

Same with Atlanta. You compare the rosters position by position, they are much better than Dallas.

Easier for coaches to be geniuses with better players and a healthier roster.