1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Sherrington: Cowboys’ Jason Garrett ‘no longer a hot property’ in NFL circles

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by khiladi, Mar 29, 2013.

1. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,317 Messages
    430 Likes Received
    My wish, since JG will be here this year, is that I'm wrong and he turns into a great HC and the team goes onto amazing things. Unfortunately, from 2008-2012 my opinion of him has been pretty spot on, and I don't think the league is all that enamored with him like they were after 2007. There isn't much reason to think he'd be scooped up based on his track record.
  2. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,693 Messages
    2,222 Likes Received
    Ah, the most recent excuse

"He does not have the talent to win"

And so the drum beat begins

Give the guy a 10 year contract and let the fans realize the real meaning of "hopelessness "
  3. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,283 Messages
    7,040 Likes Received
    Well, fair enough. I hope you get your wish, too.

I don't know what you're opinion of him has been, so it's hard to debate it. He's a good coordinator, though, and has done a nice job as HC, too. Of course his reputation as a coordinator isn't going to be as high as it was in 2007 when we were 13-3 and the offense was both protecting the ball, we were able to force the run, and were making huge plays downfield. I think everybody recognizes it takes a combination of players and coaching to field a good offense or defense.
  4. Flinger

Flinger Active Member

789 Messages
    53 Likes Received
  5. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,463 Messages
    2,277 Likes Received
    That answer from the Q&A is based on nothing. Sherrington is a DFW area columnist. How on Earth does he know what other NFL executives think? He call up all the NFL front offices and take a poll between Ranger's spring training blogs?

The dude just stirs the pot and you guys flush on down with him.
  6. Little Jr

Little Jr Well-Known Member

2,731 Messages
    347 Likes Received
    JG wouldn't get a oc job if he left dallas. At best a position coach.
  7. Coy

Coy Well-Known Member

2,333 Messages
    705 Likes Received
    That was exactly my thinking. He really hasn't been a "hot" commodity since 2007 and has fallen off even further since. Saying that I hope he proves most of us wrong this year and gets this team far into the playoffs.
  8. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

20,208 Messages
    1,019 Likes Received
    This falls into the water is wet, sky is blue category.
  9. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,536 Messages
    395 Likes Received
    I don't know about that, the white haired coach in Atlanta is really creepy.
  10. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

4,584 Messages
    342 Likes Received
    theoretical speculation doesn't speak volumes.

what speaks volumes is the implication of your post. :lmao2:
  11. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

38,377 Messages
    4,229 Likes Received
    Not going to bother looking at your posts but I can't imagine you've not bemoaned our lack of talent on the OL. I mean most everyone else knows the OL is a big problem. I've seen Garrett have to do gymnastics around the goal line because we can't run it in there. And how often do we actually make a first down running the ball on 4th down (without calling a toss out etc)?

Many of the same jacks crying about Romo or Jerry are whining about how terrible we are with Jason at the helm. Maybe you're not one of them but you don't often miss a chance to dump on Garrett.

BTW, I went out of the way to say I wasn't convinced yet. And I see some problems which need to be corrected.

So you're saying a lack of talent is an excuse which means you don't see a relative lack of talent and significant problem areas on the team. And explain to me how we have done offensively compared to the rest of the league and then how does Garrett do that if he's the problem and our talent is so good.
  12. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,057 Messages
    3,535 Likes Received
    If he can get this franchise back on top then being hot property is not going to be an issue. I know many do not like Garrett that is their view. Myself I want him to succeed I hope he can be the HC for many years. However it comes down getting the job done and in year 3 as the HC it falls to him to get things turned around. I wish him the best of luck.
  13. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,693 Messages
    2,222 Likes Received
    this is exactly the sort of circular logic excuse making some posters apply to excuse the poor job jason has done here

reality is that:

jason has been the HC for 2.5 years and OC for 6 seasons
    jason has had very significant input into decision making on who to draft and bring via FA most of those years (jerry's words)

therefore, if there is talent deficiency on the team at a critical position like OL, jason is directly responsible for that lack of talent

clearly he did not give that area of the team as much importance in the last 6 years

cant use poor performance in one area to excuse poor performance in the other area, which is exactly what you are doing here
  14. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received

I have to laugh at this "Garretts Roster" business. Without Bill Parcells players, this clown would never have been hired. He is still riding out the players that Bill brought us.
  15. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,463 Messages
    2,277 Likes Received
    Take a look at the roster and tell me which players were here in 2006. If nothing else Garrett has purged the roster since he got here but who cares about reality right?
  16. Idgit

31,283 Messages
    7,040 Likes Received
    Someone needs to take a look at the 2006 Dallas Cowboys again. There aren't a lot of players left from the BP era, and those that are that contribute now are the same Romo, Ware, and Witten we're all aware of. And even those guys you might not give BP much credit for since one he wanted to pass on at 11, the other was a third round gift at the spot we took him, and Romo was a college FA we only brought in because he went to the same school our OC attended.
  17. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    Whatever you guys say.

Its Tony bailing out terrible offensive game plans and Demarcus hitting the QB.
  18. Idgit

31,283 Messages
    7,040 Likes Received
    If you want to boil the roster down to two players to try to make your point, then by all means, go ahead. It doesn't make for a very good point, though.

And, out of curiosity, what's wrong with the gameplans again, specifically?
  19. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,499 Messages
    408 Likes Received

No doubt about it, bad decisions get terrible results. Being this careless is an insult to yourself and everyone involved. Ignorance is a real shame and there is no excuse for continued blatant/whimsical failures that effect us all.
  20. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I had high hopes for Garrett, but he hasn't done anything to gain my trust going forward. He simply wasn't ready to take over at this point in his career. Dallas is not the place for on the job training, but it is happening. If another 8-8 season comes around, I fully expect him to be gone and I hope he takes his offensive coaches with him.