1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Shock: Ravens Safety Pollard Says Nfl Player Will Die On Field

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by vta, Jan 27, 2013.

1. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I always kind of thought so too, that at some point we'll probably see a death on the field. But I find it odd that it's coming from him. If anyone is a brutal football player it's Pollard. He's a scary dude on the field.

Link
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    just a little difference and Daryle Stingley would have died instead of being paralyzed. It is true that it will happen sooner or later.

Someone will break a neck high enough up and that is it.

But then again no one forces them to play in the NFL. They want the attention and the money.
  3. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

5,408 Messages
    1,654 Likes Received
    I remember reading this a few years ago. A player has died on the field. My recollection was it was a Lions player & it was years ago.
  4. Lonestar94

Lonestar94 Well-Known Member

3,192 Messages
    493 Likes Received
    Yep. He was walking back to the sideline after the play and collapsed. Worst day in NFL History.
  5. burmafrd

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    I think his name was Hughes and it was a heart attack. Remember seeing a picture in the paper where he was laying there and another player was signaling to the sideline
  6. BoysFan4ever

5,408 Messages
    1,654 Likes Received
    Thanks guys. I remember reading about it but the details I forgot.
  7. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Just a couple of years ago Korey Stringer died on a practice field.

Wasn't it just around five years ago when a scrub at Dallas Cowboys TC died in the middle of the night unexpectedly. I can't remember what results the autopsy came up with. Anyone remember?
  8. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,462 Messages
    149 Likes Received
    Can someone fill me in on who the 350 lb players who run 4.4's and 4.5's play for?
  9. StylisticS

StylisticS Well-Known Member

8,196 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    Stronger was by heat exhaustion, right?
  10. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

19,262 Messages
    576 Likes Received
    Yes. Or heat stroke.
  11. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I think Pollard is talking about immediate death by action and not cumulative effects. He seems to be saying that coaches are exhorting them to be bigger, stronger and all around unnatural to what the physics of the body in relation to the world can sustain.

I agree with him. In theory it sure seems great to go bigger and presuppose it's better, but the reality is, the expression of the bigger they are... is basically true. Gravity doesn't alter itself to accommodate life forms based on their size. And muscle mass doesn't grow bones and ligaments and what a person is born with won't sustain unlimited growth.

It's not entirely a cogent argument, but it's a start to recognizing a problem.
  12. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,641 Messages
    565 Likes Received
    Both Carson Palmer and Ben Rothlisberger said the same thing several years ago.

I think the NFL is close to outlawing helmet to helmet hits. It will be an automatic 15 yd penalty with suspensions and fines. The offensive players will love it and the defensive players will complain. What else is new? Almost every recent rule change has helped the offense.

Forget about drafting these hard hitting safeties sometime in the near future. They will do more harm to your own team with penalties.
  13. burmafrd

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    yeah. Having a rep as a big hitter is now more trouble then its worth
  14. Fastphilly

Fastphilly Member

244 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Pollard is an idiot. If anything we have a defence to put players out on a stretcher. They aren't playing a softy New England team next week. Whitner and Willis pounding hits are well documented.
  15. NIBGoldenchild

NIBGoldenchild Active Member

975 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    Pollard didn't mention your team in that link. Who's the idiot?
  16. The Natural

The Natural Well-Known Member

4,521 Messages
    1,287 Likes Received
    What are you even talking about?
  17. BoysFan4ever

5,408 Messages
    1,654 Likes Received
    I was wondering the same thing.
  18. PullMyFinger

PullMyFinger Old Fashioned

3,395 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Typical whiners fan
  19. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Maybe he thought Pollard was saying he will kill a 9'er during the Super Bowl. Thought it was trash talk. :laugh2:
  20. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,806 Messages
    966 Likes Received