1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Should Cowboys show interest in Offensive Guard Vernon Carey?

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by RealCowboyfan, Aug 1, 2012.

1. RealCowboyfan

RealCowboyfan Championship

4,587 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    http://www.procanes.com/files/89a5e88c5d6179ef03781db93c743021-11334.html

Vernon Carey – OG – Dolphins: made a successful move from RT to RG for Miami last season…at 6-4, 335 pounds, gives much needed size to interior line…a middle of the road option financially, Carey won’t break the bank and beyond being a starter at guard, he brings position flexibility since he could move out to tackle if there was an injury to either Tyron Smith or Doug Free…an often overlooked need since untested Jermey Parnell is currently the swing tackle on the roster.

With the injuries this would be a good move.
  2. RealCowboyfan

4,587 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  3. Questfor6

Questfor6 Well-Known Member

1,294 Messages
    275 Likes Received
  4. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,523 Messages
    2,211 Likes Received
    You'd think they'd show interest in anyone with a pulse.
  5. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,730 Messages
    1,779 Likes Received
    It looks like this entire season is going to hinge on the interior offensive line. Romo is going to get killed if this isn't markedly improved from last year.
  6. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,860 Messages
    2,584 Likes Received
    I'd consider him.
  7. burntricersx

burntricersx Member

506 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I wouldn't mind Carey to battle for a spot or maybe even a reserve. And Braylon to battle for the third WR spot since there's no clear cut favorite.
  8. RealCowboyfan

4,587 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    nevermind on that list of free agents, the main one there is Vernon Carey, and everybody else isn't worth signing but Andre Gurode for the veteran minimum price would be nice.
  9. JustDezIt

JustDezIt Formerly sm0kie13 ROY

3,637 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    where did you gain such wisdom?
  10. Wimbo

Wimbo Active Member

4,133 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Is Jeff Faine still available? Tampa made a youth movement & cut him. I have no idea what his situation is now. We need another Center at camp.
  11. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

4,215 Messages
    693 Likes Received
    Braylon has signed with the Seahawks... We waited too long if we were going to make a play at him. And apparently he looks real good and is healthy. I would like some vets to be brought in for camp at least to battle for positions. I bet we bring in a few more players within the next 2 weeks or so.
  12. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,547 Messages
    1,352 Likes Received
    I'd definitely do it.
  13. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,292 Messages
    533 Likes Received
    Depending on the price I would be interested.
  14. Phrozen Phil

Phrozen Phil Active Member

3,876 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Were the Cowboys interested? Edwards has lots of talent and has been on lots of teams. There's a reason he doesn't stick with a team and while I don't know the particulars, I'd guess that he either has attitude issues or he's not a Garrett kiind of guy. As for Carey or Faine, why not?
  15. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,378 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    Why not, right? We're linked to every player who has been cut or is a free agent.
  16. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,587 Messages
    1,540 Likes Received
    I wanted to draft Carey when he came out of Miami. I thought he would make a good Guard in the NFL at that point. He has short arms and he has had a history of back and knee injury issues. However, he is tough and he battles. If he is healthy, he is a better option, IMO, then we currently have on the roster. If he is not healthy, then it doesn't make much sense to sign him IMO. The Jets are also rumored to be interested in Carey.
  17. Phrozen Phil

Phrozen Phil Active Member

3,876 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    That's a fair point and as we wring our hands over our perceived shortcomings, we'll look for more players with pedigrees we know about. I'm hoping Callahan finds some diamonds in the rough or can transform some of our vet aquisitions into serviceable players.
  18. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,378 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    Of course the Jets are, because of what happened with Otah.
  19. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,439 Messages
    1,458 Likes Received
    Edwards never stays anywhere long because he drops too many passes. Really very simple.
  20. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

4,215 Messages
    693 Likes Received
    I don't know if the Boys were interested or just some members on here were. I think we can all agree it would at least be nice to bring in some vets to compete. From my understanding no one has signed Faine yet. It will be interesting as teams start making cuts, and the injuries start piling up for each team this summer. Well see what is done in the next month. I do like the idea of Gurode or Faine at a low cost... I do NOT like the idea of Costus being gifted the starter position because everyone else is on the sideline injured haha.