1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Should face masks be reviewable?

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by JoeyBoy718, Nov 24, 2012.

1. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

3,613 Messages
    1,251 Likes Received
    I know every penalty can't be up for review. The truth is, most of them are subjective. Was it pass interference? Was it not? Was it on the defense? How about the offense? But should a straight forward penalty like the face mask be reviewable? I was just watching the Ohio State vs Michigan game and the UM player grabbed the OSU player's face mask on a punt return and twisted his head back the opposite way and no official saw it to throw a flag. I hate face mask penalties and I think players should be called on these every time. They want to talk about player safety but then they leave stuff like this up to the eyes of the officials.
  2. Proximo

Proximo Well-Known Member

950 Messages
    567 Likes Received
    If I'm not mistaken face mask penalties in the NFL fall under the category of "personal foul". With that being said, the only issue I see with reviewing the face mask calls is that then it brings up the question - "If they're reviewing face mask calls why aren't they reviewing horse collars? Why aren't they reviewing roughing the passer? Why aren't they reviewing hitting a defenseless receiver? Why aren't they reviewing helmet to helmet?", etc. In my opinion, if one of these is a judgement call, then they should all be judgement calls. If one is reviewable, then they should all be reviewable.
  3. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,755 Messages
    1,190 Likes Received
    I think 15+ yard penalties should all be reviewable. And I don't even mean the call, but if a team gets a 50 yard play and it gets called back for a 5 yard illegal shift, you should be able to challenge that.

At this point, I don't reallly understand why you can't. There are game changing penalties in seemingly every contest. To not review that seems silly.