Should JJ have traded for Jamie Collins?

Discussion in 'Coaches/Front Office Zone' started by btcutter, Nov 1, 2016.

1. btcutter

btcutter Well-Known Member

3,983 Messages
    1,197 Likes Received
    Jamie Collins was traded from NE to Cleveland for a 3rd round compensatory pick. I am assuming that's the last 3rd round pick.

Collin would probably be our best LDE from the get go and can easily play SLB. Biggest issue is that this is his contract year and he wants to cash it in. May cost a lot of $$ to resign him.

I think I do it. Here's my rationale. Because this is his contract year he will ball out. If he does that and help us get to or win the Big One (I don't want to say it) then he's worth it already. If he plays well we can still attempt to sign him long term (always a need for a pass rusher) and if we lose him to a big contract I am assuming we get a compensatory pick back for him....3rd or 4th rounder...so it's a even swap and we get a year out of him for cheap. So what do we really have to lose?!

2. kevm3

kevm3 Well-Known Member

3,013 Messages
    2,598 Likes Received
    No way do I give up a 3rd for a year rental unless we absolutely fleece another team

3. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

7,410 Messages
    2,055 Likes Received
    you cant trade compensatory picks, at least I thought you couldn't.

4. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

8,622 Messages
    3,171 Likes Received
    Rules changed. Comp picks are tradable now.

Doomsday likes this.
  5. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

7,410 Messages
    2,055 Likes Received
    not sure how I feel about that. Nothing stops a team like let say the Bears from tanking and not re-signing their own "star" FA and then signing "role" players and rolling the extra comp picks into better quality picks either into that round or higher.

6. DTown214

DTown214 Well-Known Member

2,756 Messages
    2,767 Likes Received
    The thing is... I don't know if the Patriots would've given him to us even if we offered essentially the same thing. I think there's a reason why he ended up on the worst team in football. Right now the favorites to make it to the Super Bowl are the Patriots and the Cowboys. New England is smart enough not to strengthen their competition.

7. Manster74

Manster74 Active Member

166 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    Compensatory picks are tradable starting this year but they haven't been awarded yet have they? I believe it's a conditional 3rd rounder.

8. cowboyz

cowboyz Well-Known Member

1,839 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    Yeah don't think they'd do that trade to the cowboys. belicheat sent a message to their players. Collins could get franchised and be stuck there.

9. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

12,118 Messages
    4,191 Likes Received
    Yeah there's two problems here. I don't think the Pats trade him to us and I don't think it's worth trading a 2nd or 3rd rounder for a rental. and he's most definitely a rental if he wants "Von Miller money".

roughneck266, visionary and Bullflop like this.
  10. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

7,010 Messages
    4,021 Likes Received
    As much as I'd like to add a good pass rush artist to the fold, spending a 3rd round pick for one year is a bit too rich for my blood. Perhaps the offseason and/or the draft will find us welcoming a veteran FA or a young DE with long range potential. We need a sack master, that's for sure.

Macnalty and JerryJonesMustGo like this.
  11. JBell523

JBell523 That's still my Quarterback

4,276 Messages
    2,557 Likes Received
    I mentioned this in the other Collins thread, but we drafted a guy in the 2nd round this year whose game reminds me a lot of Collins.

Be patient fellas..

12. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

10,260 Messages
    3,673 Likes Received
    only if you were committed to re-signing him, which is highly unlikely

13. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

26,119 Messages
    16,603 Likes Received
    He was listed as limited in the last practice report and had been out for awhile.

The trade pick is 2017. A comp pick will be 2018.

14. mcompact

mcompact Well-Known Member

1,139 Messages
    1,499 Likes Received
    Does he play RDE, CB or SS? If not, then my answer is no.

15. birdwells1

birdwells1 Well-Known Member

3,825 Messages
    952 Likes Received
    That's propaganda.

Macnalty likes this.
  16. JerryJonesMustGo

JerryJonesMustGo Well-Known Member

1,187 Messages
    1,010 Likes Received
    Yep, they deal good players to the Raiders and Browns of the world.

17. HanD

HanD Active Member

992 Messages
    157 Likes Received
    the pick is conditional in that if the browns do not have a 3rd round comp pick it becomes their 4th rounder.

18. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

23,235 Messages
    3,894 Likes Received
    Haha, that sounds like the worst strategy of all time. The draft is a gamble, and it's not like they're going to get a 1st round compensatory pick.

Frankly, if a team wants to let a star go (because they don't believe he's a star or simply can't afford him) and gamble on receiving a high compensatory as a replacement, I don't really see what's wrong with that either. It's their gamble to take.

19. Carharris2

Carharris2 Well-Known Member

4,995 Messages
    3,702 Likes Received
    The Browns third round pick will be worth more than ours. I'd guess New England would've wanted more from us.

20. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

11,846 Messages
    3,912 Likes Received
    The problem is paying this guy..he's going to get big big money

We also have to pay Martin