1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Should we have signed Peyton?

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Pessimist_cowboy, Sep 17, 2013.

1. CowboysFaninDC

CowboysFaninDC Well-Known Member

2,972 Messages
    151 Likes Received
    and where were we suppose to get the cap space to do this...ahhh, its madden football I forgot....
  2. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

6,203 Messages
    2,014 Likes Received
    Peyton wasn't going to come to Dallas. He was a FA & hand picked Denver. SB contending team. Money. Years all that.

He had a chance to go play in Tennessee where has deep roots & passed on that.

He wants to go out on top. He can conceivably do that in Denver. Here not so much.
  3. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,023 Messages
    2,258 Likes Received
    Peyton is amazing but it would've been rediculous to sign him.

You have a QB in his prime playing at a high level vs a QB who had to sit out a year because of a messed up neck.

No way could we make this move.
  4. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Well-Known Member

4,321 Messages
    836 Likes Received
    Nobody (including you) has satisfactorily answered this question yet: Why would Peyton Manning want to join an underachieving Cowboys team when he could join a Super Bowl contender like the Broncos?
  5. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,956 Messages
    1,520 Likes Received
    I can't even think about wasting the time it would take to read the 100 posts vilifying the OP...add mine to the list....revisionist theory mentality just cracks me up!

...what if we drafted AP a few years back?
    ...what if we hired the HC from SF or Seat or anywhere else someone is doing well?

This crap just kills me

add to that, what if we drafted Lacy instead of (fill in the blank)

my God, PLEASE stop the madness!!!
    Red Dragon likes this.
  6. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,514 Messages
    9,683 Likes Received
    It's irrelevant. Whether Peyton would or wouldn't have come to Dallas (something you or I don't know), the Cowboys should have made every effort to get him.
  7. Risen Star

22,514 Messages
    9,683 Likes Received
    Because we didn't do it. So it was the right move.
  8. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,040 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    Hindsight follies. He'd had two years of serious injuries and two or three neck operations. It was not a given that he'd hold up. If he'd gone down in week two of his first year here it would've been tarred with the 'dumb jerry' tag, just like this one.

IT was a significant risk. Denver was just willing to do more, especially as they needed an excuse to dump Tebow. I think Peyton Manning's great, but I wouldn't have taken that risk. There were a lot of other teams, you know, with professional management, who didn't try either. For the same reasons.
  9. Cebrin

Cebrin Well-Known Member

873 Messages
    487 Likes Received
    He'd have been re-injured in a heartbeat with this OL.
  10. Risen Star

22,514 Messages
    9,683 Likes Received
    Now we're back to using hindsight. Yes. The guy who wanted to make the move immediately after hearing he was leaving Indy is using hindsight now.

Peyton was so risky. Who knew (me) that he could still play? It's much safer to stay status quo and lose year after year after year.

Spending 50 million and 1st and 2nd round picks on two cornerbacks when you have no talent on your OL? Now that's a risk worth taking.

Making a move for possibly the greatest QB to ever play the game? Let's not get crazy here.
  11. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,040 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    Blather all you want....he was a serious injury risk. Pretty sure no one has a lot of doubts about Peyton's drive, or his skills. Not me anyway. Like I said, a bunch of professional NFL managers didn't make a run at him. Or did you miss that?
  12. Risen Star

22,514 Messages
    9,683 Likes Received
    I'm not concerned with what other teams do. Just what the Cowboys should have done. You apparently weren't for it. You were wrong. So were the Cowboys. They'd be a better team today with Manning. There is no question about it.

As for nobody having doubts on Manning that's rich and true hindsight. He was a shot player by many here despite zero evidence of it on the field. He's as good today as he's ever been.

It's these kinds of decisions that have destroyed this franchise. Let's take out a mortgage for a couple of cornerbacks. The best QB on the planet? Nah, we're good.
  13. Wheeltax

Wheeltax Well-Known Member

1,114 Messages
    642 Likes Received
    By now, Manning would be out of football or no longer vertical behind last year's Dallas very offensive line.
  14. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,139 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    Cool post bro, thanks...
    Pessimist_cowboy likes this.
  15. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

1,532 Messages
    261 Likes Received
    That's also a good point
  16. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

1,532 Messages
    261 Likes Received
    +1
  17. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,492 Messages
    2,372 Likes Received
    If Peyton was behind that 2012 line, he would have ended up paralyzed
  18. pastordug

pastordug Active Member

157 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    I am sick of hearing about how it has been the "line" for the last 6 years as to the reason Romo cannot get it done. Romo has been a HUGH disappointment PERIOD. While I never thought we had a change getting Peyton.......I would have settled for Vick. It is what it is and now we, the fans, have to suffer through another 3 years of blaming the O line for Romo's failure to get us to the play-offs.
  19. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,492 Messages
    2,372 Likes Received
    You must be plastered.
    Get some sleep.
  20. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,386 Messages
    308 Likes Received
    Well, the thing is that qbs rarely win Super Bowls beyond age 34. And Manning still hasn't. That said, the ones that do tend to be best of the era types. He fits that description.

Then, I would have said it's a push. Now it would be a definite yes.

There was a sports talk guy at the time who asked his audience, "Who would you rather sign, Peyton Manning for two years or Matt Flynn for 10?" The obvious answer was Peyton Manning for 2.