1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Should we re-sign Jenkins?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CowboyChris, Dec 4, 2012.

1. bigdnlaca

bigdnlaca Active Member

932 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    It depends.

If he signs cheap, he can be good. If he is going to be expensive, then I think Cowboys should look into another CB if he goes into FA. That CB is Brent Grimes.

He will come cheap because of his injuries but he can play some football imo. I don't think the Falcons will resign him because Dunta is actually playing decent this year and McClain emerging @ NB.
  2. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,251 Messages
    755 Likes Received
    My only agenda is pointing out other people's b.s.

Fans can't have it both ways. "He played last year b/c he wanted to earn a bigger contract" vs. "He is sitting out games with injury this year b/c he wants a bigger contract"

The argument that he played last year for selfish reasons rather than the good of the team is laughable. Most NFL players are selfish in the sense that they are going to do what is best for their careers. That is sort of built in to any sport where you pay people.
  3. Joe Realist

Joe Realist No Kool-Aid here!

6,435 Messages
    198 Likes Received
    I could see Philly signing him
  4. Marktui

Marktui Active Member

1,196 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    No, he is an outside corner at best. He is not a slot db. I would rather have Scandrick than him on the slot.
  5. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,370 Messages
    1,401 Likes Received
    If he has a good agent, I don't think that this would be a big issue for the exact reason you state above. He already has the specter of injury prone against him. If he were to have another season of games missed, I think you would see a great deal of leverage be lost against any future contract. He may even be forced to sign some kind of incentive laden type deal. He's 27 now so he's at exactly the right age to sign a lucrative, long term contract. However, if he takes off another season, that probably means that he is 28 at the earliest before he can think about a contract with another team. This, of course, assumes that we don't decide to lock him up or trade him. He want's to be an FA and go get the best situation for him. If he has another season in which he misses multiple games or just plays poorly, his chances of landing a nice deal are probably gone and he would then have to sign with a team for prove it type of deal. That could be a year or it could be two years and I would guess two years if I'm a team taking a chance on an injury prone player. So, if he spends a year with us and then signs for a contract after a two year prove it type deal, that puts him on the wrong side of 30 and again, he loses money and leverage. No, I think he would be forced to play and play well so that he could see a contract year at age 28.

Of course, the best possible scenario for both of us is probably for a team to offer him more then the None Exclusive Franchise deal and us simply allow him to accept it. That would give him the contract, provide us with two future #1s and we could all move on with our lives.
  6. ABQCOWBOY

34,370 Messages
    1,401 Likes Received
    Tackling:

Well, I've seen him tackle. More to the point, I've seen him make business decision where tackling is concerned. Now, you can say that because of his injuries, this has effected his ability to tackle and that's fine but it doesn't change the fact that he has not shown himself to be a good tackling CB. In fact, even when he was healthy, he was not a great tackling CB.

Injuries:

The 9 games missed, the multiple games he has been injured and left games early, the multiple surgeries and the fact that he has missed most of training camp and off season conditioning with the team for the past two seasons.

Off Season Training:

He has declined to work out with the team in the off season on multiple occasions and his own statements about improving in the off season.

Team Player:

He simply has made decisions, on many occasions, to do his own thing as opposed to what the team would like him to do. Training down in Florida, away from the Ranch. These kinds of things show that he is not a team guy. There are other things as well but this, to me, is a pretty key indicator of how much he wants to be in Dallas.
  7. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

5,653 Messages
    744 Likes Received
    :hammer:
  8. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,746 Messages
    667 Likes Received
    He made a business decision or two one year in 2009.. let it go. Since then he's arguably been our best tackling CB.. even with a seperated shoulder.

Injuries.. his first 3 years in the league he played pretty much every game. Last year he played damn near every game with a bum shoulder and this year he's missed one or two i think? Definiately not a guy who's on the shelf on the time like say a DeMarco Murray has been so far.

Off season training.. he works out on his own until workouts begin. So what? You said he was being negligent in his rehab.. i say that's a load of baloney that you showed no proof of.

Team player.. again, no evidence that he's any kind of problem in the locker room or on the field. He played almost an entire season with a bum shoulder last year and still left it all on the field to the high praise of his coaching staff.

Just say it.. you don't like the guy. ;)

That's fine.. but it doesn't make all the bs you make up about him true.
  9. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,809 Messages
    561 Likes Received
    He hates it here, we would have to break the bank to get him to stay here.
  10. ABQCOWBOY

34,370 Messages
    1,401 Likes Received
    Why should I let this go? There is nothing that says I or anybody else who is considering this player's abilities should "Let It Go" at all. Secondly, I don't agree with you. I don't think it was just in 2009 but if that is your contention, that's fine. I don't agree.

Perhaps you should just accept the fact that he's a poor tackling CB.

No, you don't want to do that? Humm....... funny how that works yeah?

He missed 4 games in 2011 and he has missed 3 games so far this season. He has come out of multiple games injured and played at a very sub par level for many others due to injury. Hey, you want to say he has played injured, OK. You want to say he has played well injured, no. That's not going to fly. He is injury prone, two shoulder surgeries, if nothing else, substantiate that. You don't have to agree but it's not me you have to convince. You can't convince me because I've watched him but no matter. Jenkins has to convince other teams and I don't see that happening for a premium contract when he's missed 7 games over the past two sesaon and this season is still not over.

When the time comes for Murray to get a premium contract, we can then discuss him.

The team didn't ask him to work out on his own. The team wants players to work out at the Ranch. You want to talk about proof, OK. I can prove that the team wants players to work out at the Ranch. Can you prove how hard Jenkins was working out on his own?

That's your opinion of it. I do not share it but again, it's not me who has to be convinced. You want a premium contract, convince the team who would be stupid enough to invest in Jenkins with a Premium contract.

If it makes you feel better to believe that I don't like him, that's OK with me. I hope all the opinions you sound off about are well embraced by the rest of the NFL because that way, when we do tender Jenkins with a None Exclusive, we get returns on our investment. I hope you are right but I'm pretty sure you are not.

If Jenkins gets a premium contract, you may come on here and post it. As I said, nothing would make me more happy. If that doesn't happen, you can cuddle up with your notions about how it's everybody who just doesn't like Jenkins and that's why he didn't get the Premium contract.

How would that be?
  11. kevinhickey

kevinhickey Member

320 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    I can't wait to see him sign somewhere else. I hope he signs a big contract. compensatory pick
  12. RoyTheHammer

13,746 Messages
    667 Likes Received
    Why should you let go that he made a business decision or two a few years ago? Because CBs in the NFL do it every single week, that's why. I'd agree that he is a poor tackling CB.. if it was true. Not going to agree just because some fan thinks so though. Last year, even as he was injured all year, he was our best tackling CB. So your contention is dumb, imo.

Injuires.. again.. in 5 seasons now he's missed 7 games. You want to say he's played poorly many games because of injuries? Ok.. again, doesn't make it true. He's been our best cover corner since he's been here.. and still might be actually. I haven't seen anything from Clai or Carr yet to say definitively that they are truly much better in coverage.

Alot of people here appriciate Jenkins actually.. its certainly not everyone who shares your silly opinions of him. If he gets a big contract i think he'll be well worth it. Its just a shame we can't afford to sign him since we thought that piece of garbage Scandrick was more deserving of an extension.. how dumb that was.
  13. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

12,080 Messages
    268 Likes Received
    I wish we could keep him over Scandrick but I'm sure somebody else will pay him big money....
  14. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

9,878 Messages
    581 Likes Received
    No shot Jenkins is back. The team paid up big for Mo and Carr, he knows he won't be starting here.
  15. ABQCOWBOY

34,370 Messages
    1,401 Likes Received
    Your entitled to your opinion but your opinion, it would seem, is in the minority. We too are entitled to opinion. I guess you've already taken the, "Your opinion is dumb" approach so I will simply say that we will soon see how strong his run support game is and you may feel free to revisit your opinion then.

For the record, I think Scandrick was our best tackling CB but who really cares? He sucked at it too. This year, both of our starting CBs are light years better in the area of tackling then is Jenkins.

No, 7 games in two season.

The fact of the matter is that if the Cowboys believed Jenkins was all that, they would not have went out and signed Carr to a big contract and they would not have paid to move up in the draft to get Claibourne. Maybe they would have done one of these things but not both. At the end of the day, you really can't get around that.
    Perhaps you are correct. Perhaps there are legions of fans out there who appreciate Jenkins but they certainly don't appear to be posting in this thread. On the other hand, perhaps it is Scandrick who actually has the legions of fans who appreciate him and not Jenkins. Wouldn't that be silly?
  16. RoyTheHammer

13,746 Messages
    667 Likes Received
    7 games in 5 seasons.. you can't pick and choose which seasons to leave out. Doesn't work that way, my man.

Show me the fans who think Scandrick is better than Jenkins.. it'll be easier to get them in a group and put them on ignore all at once.
  17. CowboyChris

CowboyChris Well-Known Member

2,678 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    :lmao2:
  18. Bwareinrings94

Bwareinrings94 Active Member

511 Messages
    134 Likes Received
    No we should not. He is not a special player and therefore, we should not be the team to pay him like one. Also, it's time to invest in the positions closer to the ball.
  19. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

3,335 Messages
    134 Likes Received
    No offense, but it would be playing some serious Russian Roulette to put the franchise tag on Jenkins and hope someone wants him enough to take him off our hands. If we put the tag on him, it won't be the two firsts tag. I could see it being at the lowest tender which would net us original draft position compensation (in his case first round), but I'm not sure if that still exists under the new CBA. Anyone know about this?
  20. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,841 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    The guy doesn't wanna be here. Let him walk.