1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Should we trade back and grab Mark Barron?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Romo 2 Austin, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Romo 2 Austin

Romo 2 Austin Draft Zone Supporter

11,705 Messages
    215 Likes Received
    The more I watch and read about Barron the more I like him as a player. Very similar potential to Adrian Wilson and we could use him. I would love to be able to tradeback into the early 20's and add a 2nd/3rd round pick and grab Mark Barron.

Anyone have any ideas on if this is possible? I see Barron mocked to us at 14 at a few places which I think is too high for him, he's not that hot of a prospect for top 15 selection.
  2. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

30,056 Messages
    1,259 Likes Received
    Ah no.

He's an "in the box" safety. Don't think he has the quickness, speed or the hips to be a good cover safety. Roy Williams part II.

Plus there are far bigger needs in the front 7 on defense.
  3. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

18,998 Messages
    4,169 Likes Received
    He could easily be the pick at 14 without a trade down. He's the clear cut best S prospect of this class. It'd be a complete roll of the dice to think he'd still be there in the 20s.
  4. Romo 2 Austin

11,705 Messages
    215 Likes Received
    Outside of San Diego at 18 I think he is free to fall into the 20s.
  5. casmith07

casmith07 #TeamJerry

25,498 Messages
    1,040 Likes Received
    No. We need to fix the offensive and defensive lines.
  6. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

8,844 Messages
    424 Likes Received
    I think safety is our biggest hole as of right now

I'm not sure what to think of Barron though.
  7. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Active Member

4,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I don't know about trading back, but if a lot of our bubble burst and DeCastro isn't there I wouldn't mind seeing Barron be our pick. I wouldn't mind a Roy Williams part 2. A good safety strikes fear into the receivers when he can knock that crap put of them.
  8. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

18,998 Messages
    4,169 Likes Received
    I think I can safely say you'll be in the vast minority who want to use the 14th pick in the draft on another Roy Williams.
  9. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    No and Yes...........I have no problems with it as long as it's a rich deal for Dallas. If the cards are even and we just move down then no.

I'm not sure that will make as much sense as it does in my head. lol
  10. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Active Member

4,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Lol I'm okay with that. Clearly, I'm talking about Roy Williams and his ability to hit hard, sans the negatives associated with Roy. I'm on record saying we should find a way to go for two first rounders. So I should have added taking Barron along with another 1st round pick.
  11. Dmoore Esq

Dmoore Esq Member

168 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    A lot of mocks have him going to us or right in our range. I don't understand exactly why everyone is so down on him on this board. Should be great in run support, and plays the ball well. I think he's quick enough to cover TEs. What else do you want from a safety? It'd be nice to actually address the position seriously, instead of bringing in uninspiring veterans every offseason.

Or take Harrison Smith in round 2. I'd be fine with either.
  12. Tobal

Tobal Well-Known Member

1,920 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    I think if I\m going DB I'd look at Kirkpatrick first. I don't want another safety with coverage liabilities or questionmarks in todays NFL. Everyone calls Baron a strong safety and I just don't think we need that.

I'd love to get a pressure player and if one falls, you take him. if there is not a pressure player there trade back unless youreally love someone there.

Last yr at this time everyone thought T Smith had the most upside, but he had other questions that got answered and he became the clear number one tackle. Until that time many of us were thinking trade back get picks and pick 1b or 1c or even a JJ Watts. It became apparent even to us fans though that there was a significant drop off to the other tackles.

This still has to play out it's getting clearer, but we still have some slotting to do.
  13. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

8,439 Messages
    1,813 Likes Received
    Barron in Mock drafts:

CBS Brugler 31
    Bunting 28
    CBS Judge 27
    CBS Prisco 20
    McShay 16
    CBS Rang 15
    Kiper 14

IMO, Barron is not the BPA until somewhere in the late 1st.
  14. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

30,056 Messages
    1,259 Likes Received
    Uh. No.

He's not good enough in coverage.

I'd sacrifice some size and take a smaller safety who has more speed. Someone like Troy P.
  15. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,237 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    omg no i swear this guy would have been a 3rd rounder when berry and thomas came out, just because he is the best in this draft does not mean he is worth a first round grade, if this guy goes in the first i will eat my belt
  16. blandi60

blandi60 Member

59 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Barron's coverage ability has been knocked,but he's played with a double sports hernia for the last two years. 2009 his injury free year he grabbed 7 ints. I know I'm in the very very small minority (just me ? !) but I'd be happy with him at 14.
  17. Romo 2 Austin

11,705 Messages
    215 Likes Received
    I would be happy with him as our pick but not at 14. If we could move down far enough to add another 3rd atleast I would be content with him as the selection, another 2nd and I would be overjoyed with the move. There is alot of talent in rounds 2 & 3 this year.

If we could pull something off like Mark Barron, Kevin Zeitler and Alshon Jeffrey because of a trade down I would be jumping in excitement.
  18. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

8,844 Messages
    424 Likes Received
    i wasnt aware that barron had been playing w the injury for 2 years..do you have anything to support that? not saying you arent right, because I believe you..I just wasnt aware
  19. blandi60

blandi60 Member

59 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  20. brooksey1

brooksey1 Well-Known Member

1,060 Messages
    180 Likes Received
    He's an in the box safety with very good cover skills. He has Run the 40 in 4.47 and has very fluid hips. He will most likely be our pick at 14.