1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Should we trade down in 1st round?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by newlander, Dec 13, 2010.

1. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    No, I'm not a draft freak so be kind. Just seems like we have SO many holes:
    Corner back, Linebacker, Oline, Dline, etc.....thoughts on trading down from our slot which should be 6-10ish?
  2. the kid 05

the kid 05 Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds

9,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Wed have to find a buyer and for the price of the player plus the loss of draft picks it would have to be enticing more so for the buying team then for us
  3. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,564 Messages
    2,431 Likes Received
    I'm a firm believer in always getting the best value you can with each draft pick. No preconceived notions on what position to draft in which exact spot, just combining need and especially value as best as possible.

So, if there is a superstar player that we love sitting there at slot 8 (for example)and we consider him to be great value at a need postion...by all means go for it.

Otherwise, if you are at slot 8 and there is no player that you love sitting there that fits that value, certainly trade down if a fair offer is presented.
  4. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This team needs quality, not quanity.

They tried to go the quanity route with the '09 draft and that proved to be a disaster.

When you have been afforded a high draft pick, the top talent in the draft is available to you, it's paramount that you take the best talent.
  5. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,564 Messages
    2,431 Likes Received
    So very true.
  6. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    It's hard to speculate right now. We don't know how high the pick will be, we don't know who will be available so we don't know if it will be somebody we covet or what another team would be willing to pay for him, and we don't even have that good a feel for the players who will be in the draft because projections and ratings will change so much over the next 3-4 months.

In general I like the idea of trading down, but I there are just too many unknowns at this point.
  7. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    John Phillips and perhaps David Buehler notwithstanding, the '09 draft will go down in infamy.

3rd round - Jason Williams GONE
    3rd round - Robert Brewster PRACTICE SQUAD
    4th round - Stephen McGee REMAINS
    4th round - Victor Butler REMAINS
    4th round - Brandon Williams REMAINS
    5th round - DeAngelo Smith GONE
    5th round - David Buehler REMAINS
    5th round - Mike Hamlin GONE
    6th round - Stephen Hodge GONE
    6th round - John Phillips REMAINS
    7th round - Mike Mickens GONE
    7th round - Manny Johnson PRACTICE SQUAD

It wouldn't surprise me at all if a guy like Brandon Williams might even get the boot at some point next year too.
  8. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    It doesn't look good, but it's not from us making a mistake in trading down for more picks, it's simply that we didn't use them well. As long as this kind of draft isn't the norm I'm not going to worry too much about it.
  9. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    these are the only two I take that high Nick Fairleyor Prince Amukamara

other wise I trade down pick one of these guys and get another pick

Brandon Harris, CB, Miami
    Derek Sherrod OT, Mississippi State
    Gabe Carimi OT, Wisconsin
  10. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well, in all fairness, our first pick in the '09 draft wasn't until the 3rd round, so the chances of drafting a scrub/lesser player grew exponentially, as opposed to drafting in the 1st round.

That draft was just a complete failure; we failed to move up and acquire targeted players and we reached for other players.

Having said that, this year's draft is top heavy in talent, which should provide Dallas with picking a premeir player in the Top 10.
  11. TheRat

TheRat The Silly Willy

1,902 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    We are in a position that we can reasonably trade up to get the best d-lineman in the draft (Nick Fairley) we need to take advantage of that. If anything we should be trading up not down.
  12. mmillman

mmillman Well-Known Member

2,153 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    Dallas has a habit of screwing up the draft by geting too cute. I would trade to get one of the top two cb's. Newman is getting old, Jenkins who the heck knows what is going on with him. The rest of the draft should be spent on the offensive line.

Some of the holes can easily be filled through free agency but you cannot get quality cb's in free agency.
  13. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,310 Messages
    4,644 Likes Received
    ^^This^^
  14. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,293 Messages
    1,244 Likes Received
    Nah. Trade up and get the guy you want.
  15. dogberry

dogberry Well-Known Member

2,445 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    I looked at New England's roster.

They start 8 of their 2nd draft choices, and 5 of their number ones.

Five undrafted free agents start. Note: I consider Welker a 2 since NE traded a 2 and a 7 to Miami.

Gerard Warren was a one at Cleveland but was a free agent signee by NE.

Two fives and, of course, ONE six start.

Conclusion: load up on 2s and look at free agents.
  16. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,586 Messages
    2,243 Likes Received
    I'd rather do this as well.

Actually, I'd rather just stay put.

When you are in the top 10-12, you can get a player.

I really think this would be the year to have the 1st pick in the draft. The next CBA is going to have a slotted rookie cap. There is no way that I can see the owners going without it.

That 1st pick with Luck is going to be prime. If you are a team with a QB, you could probably really have some buyers coming for it without the huge contract ball and chain attached.

I think Dallas will be in a good position to do some dealing and move down but I'd rather they move up and get a guaranteed stud. I don't know who, I don't follow it enough but apparently the DB from LSU is as sure as it gets.

If you can an elite player at a good cost, I think you have to jump.
  17. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    If Dallas could get a mid 1st rd pick and be able to add another 2nd rd pick I would be in favor it.
  18. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,293 Messages
    1,244 Likes Received
    Yeah, I wouldn't mind that either I guess in this particular draft.

But if you gotta jump up a couple of spots to get a guy you truely covet, I say you do it.
  19. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    True if there is a player you like then you may move up. I just think you can gets some top players in the mid 1st as well as 2nd rd and be able to fill some need areas. To me the 1st, 2nd and 3rd rds are the keys to the draft. If you can hit on those top picks it has been a good draft
  20. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,293 Messages
    1,244 Likes Received
    The more I look at it, the more it seems we'll miss out on those elite guys if we stay put in the first so I'm on board with maybe dropping down a few spots to load up in the 2nd.