1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: SI Burke: Brandon Carr off to strong start in Dallas

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Aug 21, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,470 Messages
    4,430 Likes Received
    Granted, Jerry Jones probably has a room somewhere in his house filled with 50 million $1 bills so he can swim around in them like Scrooge McDuck. But in the unpredictable, salary-capped NFL world, teams don’t hand out $50 million contracts on a whim.

The Cowboys were more than happy to reach that stratosphere, though, when they signed cornerback Brandon Carr to a five-year deal — with a hefty $25.5 million in guarantees — this offseason. One month later, Dallas doubled down and traded up for Morris Claiborne in the 2012 draft.

The Cowboys’ problem last year, en route to finishing 23rd against the pass, was that they couldn’t really take away any weapons. The additions of Carr and Claiborne won’t turn Dallas into the world’s greatest pass defense (Carr was, in theory, the Chiefs’ No. 2 cornerback behind Brandon Flowers). What they will do is help the Cowboys force the issue a little better.

Read the rest: http://nfl.si.com/2012/08/20/brandon-carr-off-to-strong-start-in-dallas/?sct=nfl_bf3_a5
  2. Cowboy Junkie

Cowboy Junkie leonargized

2,512 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    In my opinion Carr was and is the better corner . I would take him over Flowers all day long and I am just not being a homer. I flat out think he is better
  3. DallasDW00ds0n

DallasDW00ds0n Well-Known Member

3,099 Messages
    201 Likes Received
    I dont know if hes flat out better, I actually had the opportunity to watch some KC games, as random as that is (thank you DTV!) and Flowers is pretty solid.
  4. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,864 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Carr is good and seems to be defying the string of bad luck this team has had in finding unrestricted free agents. The UFA's Dallas signs seem to have one year left in them at best. It's been since Laroi Glover that Dallas signed a star FA who was productive and very good for more than just a single season.

Anthony Henry was constantly hurt. Ferguson had one good year. Marco Rivera barely played. Leonard Davis got slow and gained weight almost immediately. Ken Hamlin, Keith Brooking, and Gerald Sensabaugh couldn't produce beyond their first season in Dallas.

I guess Kyle Kosier was the best UFA signed between Carr and Glover, and he was workmanlike as a player, hardly a star.

The elephant in the room, T.O., was a superstar and even he faded rapidly in the middle of his third season and left on very negative terms. I think Dallas goes to the Superbowl if he stays healthy in 2007, but it was just not meant to be.

Barring injuries, Carr looks promising, like he can solidify LCB for the next five seasons. That would be huge.
  5. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

6,184 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    Actually I think free agent wise we've had a lot more hits than misses. Its like you stated, those next 2 or 3 years is where guys fall off but that's just natural in this league. Carr may be on the decline in 2 or 3 years. You just don't know.