1. Like to discuss POLITICS? Come join us at PUNNDITS.com!
    If you like discussing politics and other related topics then your new home (hopefully) for doing just that can be found on Punndits.com! Come join us and help us grow Punndits into a wonderful and safe place to discuss politics with everyone.
    Dismiss Notice

SI.com's Don Banks: insight's from today's Combine workouts.

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Feb 28, 2011.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,174 Messages
    181 Likes Received
    Locker also ran well, posting an official 4.59 in the 40 (NFL Network first reported a 4.52 but later changed), so his trademark athleticism was on display. More than anything, Locker gave teams hoping to see improvement in his accuracy -- he's working on it with former NFL quarterback Ken O'Brien -- reason for optimism, and he kept himself in the hunt for first-round consideration.

"I feel like Jake really proved himself today,'' said noted draft analyst A.J. Green, the Georgia receiver who caught passes from Locker. "He was throwing that thing pretty nice out there. There are a lot of questions out there about him, but I think he answered a lot of them.''

• It's hard to make the case that Auburn defensive tackle Nick Fairley's combine enhanced his candidacy to go first overall in April. For starters, he showed up smaller than advertised, measuring 6-3 and 291, when it was thought he was in the range of 6-5, 300. The NFL likes those 300-pound defensive tackles, and Alabama's Marcell Dareus, the draft's other elite tackle, checked in at 6-3½, 319 by comparison.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/don_banks/02/27/sunday.snaps/index.html#ixzz1FG3C4Stk

2. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Locker is a workout warrior... I look at game film where he didn't impress at all.

3. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Hunka Hunka Burning BP Staff Member

66,730 Messages
    12,410 Likes Received
    You look at game film.

That cracks me up.

Although I agree he is too inconsistent the idea that you look at game film just tickles me.

4. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

34,768 Messages
    4,080 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

Don't you know everyone's a scout these days?

5. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Well hey I can't help if I'm a student of the game...

6. BrAinPaiNt

66,730 Messages
    12,410 Likes Received
    You do realize that games you watch or record on TV is not exactly the same as "game tape"...at least I hope you do.

7. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

9,828 Messages
    1,443 Likes Received

:shoot5:

8. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,136 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    he could have hacked into the NFL gamefilms site that NFL coaches use for studying.. It is on-line.

but I understand what he meant because I do the same thing. It might not be " game film ", but if you know what you're looking for and know of a couple of cheap video editing features on Windows media and real player, you can learn quite a bit. :D

9. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

6,452 Messages
    693 Likes Received
    Youtube has the game films. All scouts watch youtube, don't ya know?

10. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

22,452 Messages
    3,011 Likes Received
    Locker is a great QB ... if you need an anchor on your 4x400 QB relay team.

His 40 time is pointless.
    Brady and Manning run in the 5's and win just fine.

QB is accuracy first and that is where Locker struggles.

11. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

40,490 Messages
    5,162 Likes Received
    Locker, to me, is interesting. He probably has the best overall set of skills of all the QBs this year. He needs work and time to develop, that's true but the Cowboys are in a bit of a unique situation here. He would be a guy that if they decided to take him, would be able to sit and learn. He could develop and by year 3, could be in a position to really challenge. That would put Tony in about his 11 season. Would be very interesting to see what the Cowboys might do n that situation.

12. BrAinPaiNt

66,730 Messages
    12,410 Likes Received
    He is very inconsistent. I think a good deal of his accuracy issues is due to his footwork. I think if he had a good coach can work with him enough to get that changed it would make a big difference. He also has to work on his decision making of course. I think at times he put too much of the offense on his shoulders to try and get a win (whether that was all on him or if it was kind of pushed on to him).

Personally there are a couple of QBs I like later.

Dalton - much later, Don't know if he would ever be a starter but I think he has the makings of a good backup. I guess the same could be said of McElroy but I just like dalton a little better.

Kaepernick (sp?) - I think this kid has a lot of upside but he will need to really work at it.

Don't want to spend a high pick on Newton or Gabbert (sp?). If we are in the mindset of getting a franchise QB in the draft...maybe they should trade down once or twice this year to get future picks and move up to get Luck next year.

Mallett - Kid has the skills...I just don't want to take the chance we get another QC (off the field drug issues).

As far as ragging on the Game film stuff. I was just joking some. I am sure he meant just watching the games through the year, but when you hear someone proclaiming they watch game film it just sounds like they think they are a scout or coach who has special access to the type of film a coach or scout would have. In the end I agree with his overall take so it is no big thing.

13. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

22,452 Messages
    3,011 Likes Received
    I hugely disagree.

The skill you most need at QB is an accurate arm.

I can throw the ball hard and far(I did pitch in baseball). I am just insanely inaccurate. I also ran a 4.65 40... I'd have been a great QB prospect? Not a chance.

QBs do not need to win underwear olympics. The best QBs are accurate passers who read the field quickly. That isn't an athletic skill set at all but is definite QB skills. Locker doesn't possess those skills in abundance at all. He missed open receivers and threw inaccurate passes with plenty of regularity this year and in post-season work.

14. BrAinPaiNt

66,730 Messages
    12,410 Likes Received
    Reading the field Quickly and being accurate are two different things.

If his footwork can be worked on it can improve his accuracy.

The speed of his decision making and the improvement of his decision making might be another story all together.

15. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

22,452 Messages
    3,011 Likes Received
    Excellent post.

Basically I'd draft no QB were I Dallas.
    I think McGee is the equivalent player to Locker. So I don't see any value for us at QB. The lower rated prospects are probably a 4th best for us and the higher rated ones are big risks we'd have to keep over a partially proven McGee.

And all the QBs seem risky at the top.
    It is a blessing indeed not to need to gamble on one.

And if the statement was --- I watch the games--- and not game tape it wouldn't have seemed nearly as absurd or hilarious.

16. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,136 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    I agree and disagree.

I agree that Locker is absolutely an intriguing prospect. You can see the tools that are there, but unfortunately for him, he hasn't had anybody to teach him how to develop them. I think he'd be a perfect fit for Seattle.

Having said that, Tony's " 11 seasons " is a bit misleading. Yes, it's true he would have been in the league for 11 years ( at that point ), but would have played the equivalent of 7 because of development and injuries.

Tony's replacement, injuries aside, just graduated highschool right now. He'll spend his first year as a red-shirt frehman and then he'll proceed to have a wonderful 4 year career in a major college program. The Cowboys, then, would have made a schrewed move and acquire the pick in the first round to get him and the rest will be history bliss..

I even have the best candidate picked out and everything:

[youtube]Nmc0eL0JP8k[/youtube]

:D

17. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

22,452 Messages
    3,011 Likes Received
    Absolutely.
    Those are two different things.
    But they are the two important things.
    All this stuff about 40 times is just goofy.

18. mmillman

mmillman Well-Known Member

2,153 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    Locker could really help someone down the road. He needs a team where he can sit and learn for a few seasons behind a veteran? He has all the intangibles and was the only offensive weapon at Washington for a few seasons.

19. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

40,490 Messages
    5,162 Likes Received
    I would be very doubtful that we took any QB at 9 but I suppose it could happen. I don't know what kind of shape Romo will be in as he approaches his 11th season. I do, however, suspect that Jerry has no intentions of being in the same situation he was in when Troy retired. He has even said as much in various different interviews in the past. It is not inconceivable to me that he and Garrett might be thinking about doing something there. Of course, the other conclusion might be that Garrett want's to see more out of Romo. He might just want to see Romo take that next step. It's been said many times that Romo does not approach the game with the same seriousness as some of the great QBs in the league now. I don't know if that is true or not. However, if you wanted to try and force the issue, it might be a move you would consider if you are Garrett and or Jerry. I mean, if you develop a talented QB, the worst you'll get out of it is a trade down the line and probably for a fairly high pick or picks. IDK. As I said, I don't see it at 9 but I can imagine a scenario where the Cowboys might consider taking a QB higher then any of us might suspect.

20. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

22,452 Messages
    3,011 Likes Received
    Just not sure I follow here logically.

Locker has all the physical tools one seeks at QB.
    We are on the same page there.

Problem is he will be over-drafted based upon those skills versus what he has actually shown as a QB. So he won't be a value in the draft. A 2nd round pick at worst to take a guy who you'll sit for a few years makes very little sense to me when you already have a guy in that role; McGee, who has not only sat but actually played last year.

If the Cowboys drafted Locker with all the other holes they have I'd lose my mind. If they draft Cam Newton I'd expect them to trade Romo and recover picks/players but they won't turn the team over to Locker in short order like they would Cam.

Personally I wouldn't draft either guy but Cam has the better physical skill set and was far more successful in college.