1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: SI King: MMQB: Morris Claiborne is still smiling.

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Apr 30, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,243 Messages
    7,074 Likes Received
    I met the LSU corner for the first time backstage at Radio City, and all of us who did were impressed with his sincerity, poise and emotion. He was thrilled to go to Dallas in the trade-up from 14 to six in the first round. I covered much of his story at the top of my column Friday, but what's the most fun about the draft, after all the ridiculous hype and snoozy buildup, is when a great story happens, stunningly. And Claiborne, the best corner in the draft, who no one thought had a prayer of getting beyond the fifth pick in the draft, was there for the Cowboys to pluck at six after trading. Dallas missed the playoffs last year because it couldn't play pass defense in the fourth quarter of the biggest games. And now the Cowboys have rebuilt the secondary (Claiborne, Brandon Carr) in one offseason. Claiborne was shaking with emotion talking about how his son now "is never going to want for anything. Now I'm a Cowboy ... It's ... just ...

"Amazing. Amazing. Following in the footsteps of Deion Sanders. Amazing.''

Trade-up of the weekend: Dallas moving from 14 to 6 in the first round to pick LSU cornerback Morris Claiborne. Dallas opens with the Super Bowl champion Giants and two-time Super Bowl MVP quarterback Eli Manning in the NFL's season opener on Sept. 5. The Cowboys play four games against Eli Manning and Mike Vick, and others against Cam Newton, Drew Brees, Ben Roethlisberger and Matt Ryan.

"We're up 12 with [four] minutes left against the Giants, and then we can't make a play in the secondary for the rest of the game,'' said Cowboys president Stephen Jones. "Believe me, we're all sick having to use our second-round. Sick. I can't tell you how much that hurts. But look at our secondary now. We signed [Kansas City cornerback] Brandon Carr in free agency, and now adding Morris ... We are thrilled about the improvement we've made in the secondary, particularly with the way the game is being played now.''

2. ddh33

ddh33 Active Member

4,934 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I am too :)
  3. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,687 Messages
    283 Likes Received
    We are all stoked to see you on that field intercepting eli manning.