1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Sick Michael Irvin stat....

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by jem88, Sep 1, 2005.

1. jem88

jem88 Active Member

2,698 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Was browsing an Irvin profile and found this stat from the 1995: 88 of Irvin's 111 catches were for first downs. That's insane! Remember how worried we were about replacing Harper? Irvin just picked up the slack himself. He had 11 straight 100 yard games that season. How can anyone question his HOF credentials? How can anyone even dare put T.O. in the same class as Michael Irvin?
  2. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,744 Messages
    2,778 Likes Received

Part of the reason they called him the Playmaker.

And why almost every cowboy fan old enough to see it, or have seen it on videos...remembers him doing that first down sign.
  3. jem88

jem88 Active Member

2,698 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It was a beautiful sight. No player I've seen has ever been able to galvanize both the team and the crowd the way Irvin could.
  4. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

14,959 Messages
    216 Likes Received
    What were TO's stats from last year compared to Irvins?
  5. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

24,973 Messages
    600 Likes Received
    How does this compare to other players? I'd think that if someone averaged over 10 YPCs then you'd have to expect at least 50% of his catches to be for first downs. 10 YPCs is pretty weak though -- a good WR will break 13 YPC -- putting maybe 65% or more of his catches at >10 yards - in that context you'd expect most #1 receivers to be racking up the first downs.

Irvin's numbers look good but I doubt they are that much better than other #1 guys
  6. jem88

jem88 Active Member

2,698 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Somebody should check it out (Adam?) Catching 88 passes alone is very, very good (about what T.O. would have had last year had he not been injured.) But 88 first downs is elite status. A lot of WRs pad their stats with short outs and slants. The amazing thing about Irvin is that he was equally adept as a possession receiver and as a long-ball threat (averaged over 20 yards twice in his first 3 seasons, led the league in reception average in 1992.) For me, the only better receiver I've seen is Rice (although I think Irvin's intangibles brings him right up alongside him.) Sterling Sharpe also looked to be in the same class as Irvin and Rice. Shame his career was cut short.
  7. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

14,959 Messages
    216 Likes Received
    Right alongside Jerry Rice? Even Irvin called Jerry Rice "Jesus in Cleats".
  8. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

4,806 Messages
    595 Likes Received
    Because he was much a "Pleamaker" as he was a "Playmaker".

He was a great player. No doubt.
  9. AbeBeta

24,973 Messages
    600 Likes Received
    Last year the two top receivers in the league were Mushin Mohammed and Joe Horn -- Mo was 74FDs out of 93 catches, Horn was 73 for 94. That's 80 and 78% respectively.

Irvin was 88/111 - 79%. Seems like 88's #s were consistent with being a the top receiver in the league that year but not outrageously good or jaw dropping.
  10. JDSmith

JDSmith New Member

1,669 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Irvin averaged 4.7 receptions and 74.9 receiving yards per game. That stacks up well against anyone. Owens, through his career, has averaged 5 receptions and 72.4 yards per game. The only area Owens is better than Irvin is in TDs.

Ivin's average in the playoffs was 5.4 receptions and 82.1 yards per game. Owens in the playoffs has avearged 5.3 receptions and 75.1 yards per game.
  11. jem88

jem88 Active Member

2,698 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I can't question Rice being the best, but I think Irvin bought unreal leadership to the team and I think that played a significant part in our dynasty years (and the lack of it once he retired, led to our downfall.) For me there is a great moment that sums up Irvin: I believe it was against the Cardinals in 1998 and he finally lost his consecutive games with a reception streak. It was obvious that it meant a lot to him but you didn't see him throwing his helmet, screaming at the coordinator, etc. Rather you could just see the intensity burning inside him. Contrast this with the selfish behaviour of Rice recently when his streak came to an end. Throwing a tantrum in a game that his team won (if I remember correctly.) Irvin was always a team-first player. When he celebrated a touchdown or first down, it was to fire up the team and fans. Owens, on the other hand, simply looks to showcase new dances and put himself in the headlines.
  12. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    But he'll never eclipse the great Billy Davis.
  13. Ashwynn

Ashwynn Well-Known Member

3,207 Messages
    62 Likes Received
    I can see it right now. The low crouch and the smooth slide forward with arm extended. He let you know then went back to the huddle. Pretty classic.
  14. jem88

jem88 Active Member

2,698 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It might not appear significant, but I imagine the presence of Emmitt, and the fact that anything inside the 5 yard line was a sure-fire TD for 22 probably took a few touchdowns away from Irvin. From our 10 yard line to their 10 yard line, Irvin was the chain-mover. Once inside the 10, Emmitt took care of business (and rightly so given his deadly redzone efficiency.)
  15. AbeBeta

24,973 Messages
    600 Likes Received
    I still wake up screaming when I remember his dropped pass early in the playoff game against AZ. I knew at that moment that the day would not go well.
  16. dougonthebench

dougonthebench Cowboys Forever

2,403 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I just hope another Cowboy can bring the same intensity to the field the way Irvin did.Minus the off-field problems.Remember Mike is human,so are we.
  17. Billy Bullocks

Billy Bullocks Active Member

4,075 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Irvin 3,
    TO 0.
  18. ECKOgear

ECKOgear New Member

9 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    i agree, everytime i hear the question...Who is the best reciever i say Irvin and everyone just laughs, so i just say go look at the stats they don't lie...lol