1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Sideline Scouting 3 round Mock 6/26/12....

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Risen Star, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,514 Messages
    9,683 Likes Received
    How does this look in the very, very early stages of the 2013 draft process?

1(20) T.J. McDonald S USC
    Jerry Jones and the Dallas front office did a great job of addressing their needs in the secondary this offseason by adding Brandon Carr and Morris Claiborne, but the defense still lacks a playmaking safety. Adding TJ McDonald would give the Cowboys one of the top secondary's in the league. McDonald might have been a first round pick had he declared for the 2012 draft, so to find him here at 20 is good value. The Cowboys may also look at adding a new center to their offensive line, but it may be a bit early for Khaled Holmes, the top center in this draft.

2(52) Khaled Holmes C USC
    3(83) Aaron Murray QB Georgia

http://sidelinescouting.com/mock/
  2. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,234 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    Actually not too bad at this point...IMO
  3. Risen Star

22,514 Messages
    9,683 Likes Received
    So then a QB in round 3 is good? Not necessarily that QB just one in general?

I agree. I wouldn't even mind one higher. And this has nothing to do with any anti-Romo sentiment but preparation for the future.
  4. cowboy_ron

4,234 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    Exactly..although I am Romo homer, I just remember the lack of a QB between Aikman and Romo and don't want to go through that again. Anyone chosen will still ride the pine for a couple of years unless he just outright wins the job from Romo, at which time see what Romo brings on the trade market at that time. We can't fall in love with our players like has been done in the past and keep them much longer than we should have.....NFL is a business first and foremost.
  5. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,507 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    That draft looks pretty good to me, in general.

I would still prefer a passrushing OLB in the first round as I do feel we need a better pass rusher at SOLB and can then use the cap space freed up to chase a FA along the OL or DL (or safety) that would help the team out more overall. I suspect Spencer wants a Rat type deal but he has never reached the performance level Rat has to deserve this deal. The other reason I'd go OLB high is Ware will be entering his 9th season in 2013 and we need to prepare for his decline. Spencer will never be able to fill Ware's shoes as the WOLB so we should look for someone who can step into that role should Ware get injured or decline rapidly.

I do like drafting an interior OL high and 2nd round is often a place where you can find a first year starter.

I do like picking up a developmental QB to sit behind Romo who can have a couple of years of grooming before he gets pressed into duty. If he develops and Romo is still going strong we can trade him and draft another one.
  6. cowboy_ron

4,234 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    If he has equaled or surpassed Romo, you keep the younger one and put the old one out to pasture.....that should be at every position
  7. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,507 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    It is conceivable that a 3rd round draft pick could be superior to a healthy Romo by 2015 but that is a very remote chance. If that were the case you could always try to trade Romo but it is much more likely that Romo would be far better.
  8. Risen Star

22,514 Messages
    9,683 Likes Received
    I don't know. If we were to take a QB next year in the 3rd round, you'd have to believe they'd have a higher grade on him than that. We seem to be committed to BPA now and I just don't see any way we take a QB unless it's prime Sean Lee type value on our board. If there's a prospect at another position that's close I'd think we'd go that route instead.

3 years is a long time in the NFL. Romo could begin breaking down physically by that point. But even if he had a Favre like backend of his career, we should be fine with adding quality depth at that position should Romo miss any time.
  9. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,507 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    My basic point is that in a typical draft, the best QB taken will never be as good as Romo is - maybe there is such a player every two to three drafts and that includes a bunch of QBs who are taken in the top 10. So the chances you are going to get a QB in round 3 who is a better player at the start of his 3rd year then a healthy Romo would be in 2015 is pretty unlikely.

I've actually been thinking for awhile now that we should be trading back down in drafts into the second to get a second first for the next draft. That extra pick then could eventually become a very high one if our trade partner collapses. Alternatively, even without a collapse it would give us ammunition to go and trade up for an elite player such as a top 10 QB even if we are picking in the early 20s.

I really believe that in the modern NFL you need a very good QB to have a shot at winning a SB. Without a very good QB you then need to be elite almost everywhere else (STs, running offense and defense) to stand a chance. So finding Romo's replacement or getting the ammunition to do so is very important. While the timeframe is long we can hope a very good prospect that we can coach up drops into our lap. When the timeframe is now we are going to want the ammunition to trade up for an elite prospect.
  10. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    At this point in Romo's career and where the Cowboys are there are only 3 scenario's which justify taking a QB.

1. In round 1 if a top QB falls to you. Ala...Aaron Rogers

2. In round 2 if a top QB falls to you. Ala...Andy Dalton

3. In rounds 5-7 to add a camp arm and hope you strike gold.

This philosophy could all change greatly as the season plays out but as of right now, it's the only way it makes sense to me.

So to answer to the topic at hand, I do not like Murray in the 3rd. Poor value and he runs too hot and cold. Cowboys fans who hate that about Romo would grow old quick with Murray.
  11. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    I love the USC picks. Both could help this team tremendously.
  12. Dino

Dino Benched

57 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    well I sure hope there is a better QB out there for Dallas than Murray